Gotta know:06 Color.Is it really a limited Edition

The only reason they were able to charge you that $149 is because Yamaha created this artificial hype surrounding their "Special Edition 50th Anniversary" models. It cost not one cent extra for Yamaha to make them in yellow since, mechanically, they are absolutely identical to the blue ones. Not a whit of difference! They're getting the extra $200 bucks by trading on the vanity and ego of riders who want something different to show off. And they'll be screwing them over every time they crash and need an SE replacement part. That's fine, but calling it a "Special Edition" is a crock. Now that all YZ's have black gas tanks, once the aftermarket catches up with the new shroud and fender molds, anyone can have a YZ in almost any color they want with ease. No more need to replace the gas tank to change colors. Acerbis, Polisport, and UFO could make a killing off plastic sets for ALL '06 YZs by offering plastic sets in various colors. Damn! I should buy stock in those companies. ?

I would argue that "yes" it does cost more to offer the LE. There had to be a design team to come up with the entire theme, have you seen all the gear they offer in the 50th Anniversary Theme? I would agree that once the product was made and delivered for assembly the cost involved were no different then the costs involved with a BLUE bike. so I guess beyond the actual cost of bringing the LE to market, Yamaha and it's stock holders can go pound sand, cause they just don't need to earn profit. and the employees just don't need a cost of living increase in there paycheck next year. And R&D is out of luck also, so don't expect YAMAHA to make any noticeable changes to next years YZ that will only come in blue!

As far as an MSRP being more for the yellow, I would say $200.00 is cheap! Yes it did not cost $200.00 more to make the LE, but, since when in America has the cost of an item actually determined it's worth. Have you seen some of the crazy things that sell on e-bay for CRAZY prices. Well they are crazy prices to me, but to the people bidding they are in line with there own financial ability and wants. In other words......

THERES ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE :bonk:

or

THOSE WHO CAN, DO, AND THOSE WHO CAN'T, DON'T! :bonk:

Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kinda sad, Im going to buy an 06 yzf in a couple of weeks, but the dealer has to order it (Honda East Toledo ? ). I can't decide on the color.

On one hand, I absolutly LOVE yellow. My racecar and dailey driver car is yellow. I have some yellow gear. My pc wallpaper is the SE model.

On the other hand, I feel like a chump spending $200 more, when I can barely afford the bike to begin with. I could so use a new pair of boots or a new chain/front tire/jets/. That $200 could be better spent on some maintenance parts (oil/filters/chain lube type stuff.)

I think Im going to tell the dealer to suprise me, then atleast Ill have an excuse to rationalize $200 more to myself. ?

i gotta agree with the guy that said something like "whats $200 on a $7000 bike" especially if you are financing.

i dunno, regardless of the arguements. its undeniable that the yellow is sexy as hell. im just mad that they got them into the showroom like a week after i bought my '05 ?

i got a sweet deal. so oh well.

It's kinda sad, Im going to buy an 06 yzf in a couple of weeks, but the dealer has to order it (Honda East Toledo ? ). I can't decide on the color.

On one hand, I absolutly LOVE yellow. My racecar and dailey driver car is yellow. I have some yellow gear. My pc wallpaper is the SE model.

On the other hand, I feel like a chump spending $200 more, when I can barely afford the bike to begin with. I could so use a new pair of boots or a new chain/front tire/jets/. That $200 could be better spent on some maintenance parts (oil/filters/chain lube type stuff.)

I think Im going to tell the dealer to suprise me, then atleast Ill have an excuse to rationalize $200 more to myself. :bonk:

You will not be dissapointed ordering the yellow YZ. The blue one isnt all that spectacular in the ways of looks, but stock the yellow one is stunning. Dont make the mistake I almost did and settle for second best, get the yellow one and be happy ?:bonk:

well said, Actually, I think anyone who is talking s+++ on the yellow is just really jealous.... why else would you even care justride ...
Well, for one, this is a discussion forum. Pretty boring without some actual discussion. Second, I already said I love the yellow. The original question was about it being a real limited edition deal. I voiced my opinion that, no, I really don't think so and explained why. Again, that's discussion. Sorry you aren't clear on the concept. ?

I would argue that "yes" it does cost more to offer the LE. There had to be a design team to come up with the entire theme, have you seen all the gear they offer in the 50th Anniversary Theme? I would agree that once the product was made and delivered for assembly the cost involved were no different then the costs involved with a BLUE bike. so I guess beyond the actual cost of bringing the LE to market, Yamaha and it's stock holders can go pound sand, cause they just don't need to earn profit. and the employees just don't need a cost of living increase in there paycheck next year. And R&D is out of luck also, so don't expect YAMAHA to make any noticeable changes to next years YZ that will only come in blue!
Give me a break! Do you think Yamaha went out and hired a design team just to come up with the Anniversary Limited Edition concept? Design-wise, both models are the exact same bike. It didn't take a genius to come up with the retro idea of making some yellow and it didn't take a bunch of money to implement the idea. The same staff that designs blue ones designed the yellow ones. As for the gear to go with them, same deal. That team designs new gear every year. All they had to do was design another "Special" line. It didn't take any more manpower or expense. The premium they charge for "Special" gear is all based on making you, the consumer, think you are getting something "Special," not on any increased cost of manufacture. Do you think replica gear from Fox or Thor costs any more to make than their standard gear? If there is any additional cost it is in licensing, not production. Yamaha isn't paying itself to license its own retro look.
As far as an MSRP being more for the yellow, I would say $200.00 is cheap! Yes it did not cost $200.00 more to make the LE, but, since when in America has the cost of an item actually determined it's worth. Have you seen some of the crazy things that sell on e-bay for CRAZY prices. Well they are crazy prices to me, but to the people bidding they are in line with there own financial ability and wants.
And that's my point. If you're willing to pay more for something it should be because it's something you want, not because you are being deceived into thinking it is "Special." The use of the words Special or Limited Edition are designed to make buyers think they are getting something that isn't going to be available to everyone. Beyond color, there is nothing really Special or Limited about these bikes. They are exactly the same mechanically as the blue ones. They won't have any intrinsic value by virtue of their having been "Special Editions," especially if their owners have damaged or changed the SE plastic or graphics. That's like saying the 2005 red Dodge trucks are more valuable than the white ones because they made so few of them in red in 2005.
In other words......

THERES ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE ?

Bingo! I say if you like the yellow and are willing to pay extra for it, great, go right ahead. But don't do so on some false perception that there's really anything "Special" or "Limited" about them. There isn't. Like much of the stuff you see on eBay, you have to take the seller's claims with a grain of salt. ?

I just gotta say that yamaha has had this frame and the new motor along w/everything else in the works for a few years .I know they have been testing the frame since 03, so what better way to celebrate a completely redesigned bike than offering a special adiition. All the 450 craze that has sprouted this century happens to land right smack down on yamaha's 50th year of 2 wheels and they are so hoping to go over the top with all this at once. I can say I was content w/my last bike but after seeing and reading about this phenominal machine thats gonna be released around X-mas, well I started taking my dealer all my money way before Halloween and it all came together a few weeks ago. Glad to be a part of it.

Give me a break! Do you think Yamaha went out and hired a design team just to come up with the Anniversary Limited Edition concept? Design-wise, both models are the exact same bike. It didn't take a genius to come up with the retro idea of making some yellow and it didn't take a bunch of money to implement the idea. The same staff that designs blue ones designed the yellow ones. As for the gear to go with them, same deal. That team designs new gear every year. All they had to do was design another "Special" line. It didn't take any more manpower or expense. The premium they charge for "Special" gear is all based on making you, the consumer, think you are getting something "Special," not on any increased cost of manufacture. Do you think replica gear from Fox or Thor costs any more to make than their standard gear? If there is any additional cost it is in licensing, not production. Yamaha isn't paying itself to license its own retro look.And that's my point. If you're willing to pay more for something it should be because it's something you want, not because you are being deceived into thinking it is "Special." The use of the words Special or Limited Edition are designed to make buyers think they are getting something that isn't going to be available to everyone. Beyond color, there is nothing really Special or Limited about these bikes. They are exactly the same mechanically as the blue ones. They won't have any intrinsic value by virtue of their having been "Special Editions," especially if their owners have damaged or changed the SE plastic or graphics. That's like saying the 2005 red Dodge trucks are more valuable than the white ones because they made so few of them in red in 2005.Bingo! I say if you like the yellow and are willing to pay extra for it, great, go right ahead. But don't do so on some false perception that there's really anything "Special" or "Limited" about them. There isn't. Like much of the stuff you see on eBay, you have to take the seller's claims with a grain of salt. ?

Um, yea, it is special! it's YELLOW!

You really do feel left out for not jumping on the LE, 50th Anniversary, Special Edition, Yellow Zinger don't you? You know, some people, think

denial, is just a river in Egypt ?

. I already said myself, have the yellow and love it. I also agree with the fact that the "SE" is just a gimmick/marketing tool. I do know that they produced 2 different R1's in SE, 1 being just paint (like the 450F), and the other with Ohlins frt & rr suspension mods and such; think it was like 18g's. That R1 seems to be more of a SE than paint or plastic colors. I can tell ya that I didnt buy my bike for the reason to be a collectible, no way. Just the fact that I could buy the new 450F in Yellow/Black was all I needed....

. Sucks, supposed to have a blizzard tomorrow, no riding.

Last weekend I was standing around at the local track eating a hamburger in my retro/limited addition whatever yamaha gear. A sweet young thing came up and asked if that was retro Bob Hannah gear. I said it was. Her eyes then lit up and she said, do you have a limited edition yellow motor to go with it? I said yes. She said, now that is HOT! $200 was a bargain.

You need the SE vin number to buy OEM yellow plastics. I have the OI hurricane kit and the yellows are completely different between the SE and the hurricane kit. The hurricane kit is more of a suzuki yellow while the SE is a deeper yellow. I was just like you guys and thought it wasnt worth it until I saw one in person, and the changed my mind instantly.

I did the same, I was going to get a blue 450 untill I say the yeller one in the back and I had to have it! ?

Originally Posted by CycleWriter

Give me a break! Do you think Yamaha went out and hired a design team just to come up with the Anniversary Limited Edition concept? Design-wise, both models are the exact same bike. It didn't take a genius to come up with the retro idea of making some yellow and it didn't take a bunch of money to implement the idea. The same staff that designs blue ones designed the yellow ones. As for the gear to go with them, same deal. That team designs new gear every year. All they had to do was design another "Special" line. It didn't take any more manpower or expense. The premium they charge for "Special" gear is all based on making you, the consumer, think you are getting something "Special," not on any increased cost of manufacture. Do you think replica gear from Fox or Thor costs any more to make than their standard gear? If there is any additional cost it is in licensing, not production. Yamaha isn't paying itself to license its own retro look.And that's my point. If you're willing to pay more for something it should be because it's something you want, not because you are being deceived into thinking it is "Special." The use of the words Special or Limited Edition are designed to make buyers think they are getting something that isn't going to be available to everyone. Beyond color, there is nothing really Special or Limited about these bikes. They are exactly the same mechanically as the blue ones. They won't have any intrinsic value by virtue of their having been "Special Editions," especially if their owners have damaged or changed the SE plastic or graphics. That's like saying the 2005 red Dodge trucks are more valuable than the white ones because they made so few of them in red in 2005.Bingo! I say if you like the yellow and are willing to pay extra for it, great, go right ahead. But don't do so on some false perception that there's really anything "Special" or "Limited" about them. There isn't. Like much of the stuff you see on eBay, you have to take the seller's claims with a grain of salt.

Dude, take it easy man. Shit, its us paying the extra money,not you. :bonk: We know we are paying more for nothing, (other than cool factor) so why are you getting so worked up over it. :eek: Its realy not that big a deal. I mean if you love the standard blue and stardard gear, great, its no skin off your back. If you want to just tell us you think we are idiots, get it off your chest already, it will make you feel better. :bonk: I've been called worse, for less--I have broad shoulders, I can take it. They ARE a special edition, all other Yami's are blue, have been for quite some time. No one says they are "special-more valuable-editon". :eek: We get the point, we paid 200 fun tokens for Yellow. I for one, am damn glad I did too. ? I just didnt know it was going to ruin you day so bad. Lets get back to talkin about what a great bike the 06 YZ 450 is, no matter what color. ??