Gotta know:06 Color.Is it really a limited Edition

65 replies to this topic
  • retro450

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:15 PM

I wanna know if the Yellow is really limited. Sure have seen alot.

I'll start: yellow 450

• CycleWriter

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:53 PM

They're limited, not rare. If past Yamaha history is any indicator, they were produced at about a 1:7 ratio.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted February 08, 2006 - 10:05 PM

The yellow looks good in the show room, but blue looks good on the track.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 08, 2006 - 10:08 PM

My dealer told me they were produced at a 3:1 ratio, blue to yellow. Special Edition, not limited.

• CycleWriter

Posted February 08, 2006 - 11:38 PM

My dealer told me they were produced at a 3:1 ratio, blue to yellow.

I'm going by what Yamaha reps told me at the press launch.

Special Edition, not limited.

What's the difference? It's all just marketing hype. Pay $200 more for plastic that will look like shit in a year regardless. :bonk: I guess if one had the abiity to put one away and never ride it, they might be able to get big $$$ for it in 10 years or so. Personally, I don't see the point of making any dirt bike in a special or limited edition. Dirt bikes are meant to be ridden and will eventually get crashed. Most riders try very hard to make theirs unique with aftermarket graphics and stickers. :thumbsup: Save the SE's and LE's for street bikes. :thumbsup:

• DSMotorsport

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:33 AM

I agree, spending $200 on the LE is kinda dumb. In a few months when the aftermarket catches up you will be able to buy the graphics/seatcover/fenders/shrouds in one kit for less than $200. Then you have BOTH sets of body work for the same price.

That's my plan. I love the yellow (all my cars are yellow) but I just can't justify $200 more for no additional parts, only a color/sticker change. Id rather spend $200 on a second set of plastic and have spares.

• SCIENCE

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:01 AM

I'm going by what Yamaha reps told me at the press launch.What's the difference? It's all just marketing hype. Pay $200 more for plastic that will look like shit in a year regardless. :bonk: I guess if one had the abiity to put one away and never ride it, they might be able to get big $$$ for it in 10 years or so. Personally, I don't see the point of making any dirt bike in a special or limited edition. Dirt bikes are meant to be ridden and will eventually get crashed. Most riders try very hard to make theirs unique with aftermarket graphics and stickers. :thumbsup: Save the SE's and LE's for street bikes. :thumbsup:

Buy Blue, If you want Yellow plastic call One Industries and get a Hurricane Kit. Save the stock stuff for resale.

• CRFThumper

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:11 AM

It's funny,guys that have yellow love them and guys that don't say the two hundred is to much for plastic,seat cover graphics bar pad AND the "special" sticker on the back fender!I don't see the big deal,i like the yellow and got one cause I'm an old school guy.BTW,were can I buy all new plastics,seat cover factory graphics bar pad and that "special" sticker for 200.00?I know one ind. has the yellow kit but it does not look like the factory graphics! It doesn't really matter blue or yellow it's a great bike! I was told that they were gonna release 500 of the yellow 450's is it true,who knows!

• DSMotorsport

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Yamaha dealers will have to offer replacement graphics for the SE. If someone is that hard up to have authentic stock graphics, there's the source, as well as the yellow plastics.

I too love the yellow. I just can't justify $200 for a color CHANGE. If it was $200 more and I got a set of blue plastic/seatcover with the bike as well, it would be worth $200.

• yamahaboy99

Posted February 09, 2006 - 09:19 AM

You need the SE vin number to buy OEM yellow plastics. I have the OI hurricane kit and the yellows are completely different between the SE and the hurricane kit. The hurricane kit is more of a suzuki yellow while the SE is a deeper yellow. I was just like you guys and thought it wasnt worth it until I saw one in person, and the changed my mind instantly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 09, 2006 - 12:40 PM

Special Edition, not limited.

What's the difference?

The numbers produced. They are not really 'Limited', they are 'Special Anniversary Edition'. So its not like I spent the money as some sort of investment, I spent it on the cool factor. I understand its not worth it for alot of people, so dont buy one. :thumbsup: When someone can get the plastics, graphics, and seat cover for under two hundred let me know. Two hundred bucks was well worth it for me, even though I am planning on putting aftermarket plastics, I mean its not like we're talking alot of money here, two hundred bucks. The R1 Special Edition is 6 GRAND more :eek: Although they have some seriously upgrade parts too, not just plastics. Its just a matter of different strokes for different folks. Like somoene else said, they are same bikes, they are all awesome. :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

• beezer

Posted February 09, 2006 - 12:55 PM

What's 200 bucks on a 7000 dollar motorcycle?

• Ga426owner

Posted February 09, 2006 - 01:23 PM

After owning a whole bunch of blue ones.....the yellow is refreshing......and I think the plastic will wear better - no white marks! :thumbsup:
And they look bad to the bone........... :thumbsup:

• zcookie49

Posted February 09, 2006 - 02:55 PM

I heard from a Yamaha dealer (not the one I bought my bike from), that they would ask you for your VIN to sell you the Yellow OEM plastic, that they have done that before with SE bikes. Plus Yamaha hasnt offered the bikes in Yellow/Black since '83.
You know what the cost of the factory graphics is? $86 a shroud, just 1 side. So if you were going to buy it all after the fact from Yamaha, it would cost you alot more (close to $500). I spent the extra money, got the yellow. Once I found out that yellow OEM plastic will not be available as replacement from Yamaha till March (and the kit is $100 more than the blue, just the plastics), I decided to purchase the frt and rear fenders and shrouds in Blue, cost $115, (whats nice about the SE is that the seat cover is straight black, no black/bllue, so you can swap without having the seat cover on half blue). So I ended up spending even more to have both. I have taken the yellow off for now and bagged it up, never used, just eye candy. Maybe one day if I sell the bike, I can rebadge the bike with the special plastic and get a lil more for it (since the Alum frame doesnt show wear like the old blue/steel frames), maybe not. I will buy aftermarket yellow when it is available and reinstall; I hate the white stress marks in the blue.

• CycleWriter

Posted February 09, 2006 - 04:07 PM

Special Edition or Limited Edition...whatever, it's all the same marketing ploy. Making you believe you are getting something the average buyer isn't. I see no value (beyond an ego stroke) in paying extra for something that amounts to nothing more than different plastics and graphics. At least on the Yamaha SE YFZ quad you get a different frame color for the same $200 premium. Yeah, $200 is cheap when you compare the cost of replacement parts against Yamaha's retail prices. Do you think they might have a vested interest in making SE replacement parts cost so much? Someone that paid extra for an SE is probably going to pay extra for replacement parts, too, if they're so enamored of that look. I agree, if it makes you happy then buy it. But I've been around motorcycles long enough to remember when an SE or LE was really something special, not just some superficial cosmetic difference. Anyone buying these things thinking they'll have any collector value is nuts unless they plan on putting it in storage for years and never riding it.

• Juniordog

Posted February 09, 2006 - 05:30 PM

i can agree and disagree with all points made.

personally, its not worth the extra money to get the yellow to me. cus like i saw someone say, its gonna get messed anyways..and yes replacement plastics and graphics can be bought.

that said, my dad (who rode back when yamaha had those colors and graphics) thought it was really cool, it kinda took him back to his youth.

i am in agreement that people buying them as a collectors items are wasting their time and money.

i do think that it is a sweet looking bike though

• retro450

Posted February 09, 2006 - 09:03 PM

Who the hell would ever invest in a dirt bike. What are you even gettin at. No its damn cool being at the track on the only machine of its look, cosmectic shmozmetic. Dont hate it . IT rocks and everyone who sees it agress. So go get you one . If I could have something nobody else has Id be all over it. You know you should keep that negativity for your next ride and let it out. I have no idea why someone who take a shot at a type of person. Sure I'll take shots at machinery or objects. I really just wanted to see how many here have yellow vs blue., but seeing how this is aplace for real enthusiasts Id suspect a high number of "Special Edition" and yes its special I might just go take a look at it now. Here have a lookwww.flatwideopen.photosite.com

• Blaster21996

Posted February 09, 2006 - 09:59 PM

Who the hell would ever invest in a dirt bike. What are you even gettin at. No its damn cool being at the track on the only machine of its look, cosmectic shmozmetic. Dont hate it . IT rocks and everyone who sees it agress. So go get you one . If I could have something nobody else has Id be all over it. You know you should keep that negativity for your next ride and let it out. I have no idea why someone who take a shot at a type of person. Sure I'll take shots at machinery or objects. I really just wanted to see how many here have yellow vs blue., but seeing how this is aplace for real enthusiasts Id suspect a high number of "Special Edition" and yes its special I might just go take a look at it now. Here have a lookwww.flatwideopen.photosite.com

AMEN!

Blah, Blah, Blah! I have a LE and I did not even want it, I wanted a blue model, but the dealer only had the LE, and gave it to me for $149.00 more then the blue. Now that I have the LE I like it. It looks great next to my 05 YZ250F and My 05 WR450F and not to mention my Yellow and Purple Waveblaster 2!

• CycleWriter

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:56 PM

Who the hell would ever invest in a dirt bike. What are you even gettin at.

Exactly, dirt bikes are made to be ridden. I love the yellow, I think it looks awesome. The problem I have is marketing something like a dirt bike as a "Special Edition" simply because it has some different color plastics and graphics. Yamaha should simply offer it as a color option and leave it at that. Instead, they're making it out like a collector's 50th Anniversary edition that will have some special value as a one-time only issue. Kinda like a special coin or stamp. Give me a break. Once the decals start peeling (they always do) and the plastic gets roughed up (it inevitably will) the "SE" will be just another Yamaha only in yellow. A Special or Limited Edition motorcycle should be exactly that and they usually have something other than cosmetics to distinguish them. When a car company releases a true SE or LE vehicle they give it a special paint scheme, interior AND performance options not found on their standard versions of that vehicle. That's what makes them truly "special." I'm not being negative, just realistic.

• CycleWriter

Posted February 09, 2006 - 11:08 PM

I have a LE and I did not even want it, I wanted a blue model, but the dealer only had the LE, and gave it to me for $149.00 more then the blue.

The only reason they were able to charge you that $149 is because Yamaha created this artificial hype surrounding their "Special Edition 50th Anniversary" models. It cost not one cent extra for Yamaha to make them in yellow since, mechanically, they are absolutely identical to the blue ones. Not a whit of difference! They're getting the extra $200 bucks by trading on the vanity and ego of riders who want something different to show off. And they'll be screwing them over every time they crash and need an SE replacement part. That's fine, but calling it a "Special Edition" is a crock. Now that all YZ's have black gas tanks, once the aftermarket catches up with the new shroud and fender molds, anyone can have a YZ in almost any color they want with ease. No more need to replace the gas tank to change colors. Acerbis, Polisport, and UFO could make a killing off plastic sets for ALL '06 YZs by offering plastic sets in various colors. Damn! I should buy stock in those companies. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.