06 450 Fr tire is horrible

21 replies to this topic
  • retro450

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Ok I've got 3 good long rides on this one so far and the last ride I calmed down from all the excitement and realized that the stock Dunlop 739 flat sucks. Maybe all the testing should be done with a good tire. I have to say it's so round w/no space between treads. It almost looks like a dual-sport tire. I just cant believe they ran this tire. Flat out will not ride it again until the Michelin s12 or m12 are mounted.

• ccbugman

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:31 PM

I only have an hour on my bike and the knobs are already rounded. Tire truly sucks.

• DPW

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:34 PM

I only have an hour on my bike and the knobs are already rounded. Tire truly sucks.

On your front tire...lol...

• ian56

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:49 PM

It's almost common knowledge that all OEM front tires are inappropriate for "real world" riding. The only place that tire would be good for, is on a supercross track...it's a hardpack tire and almost all the OEM's spec it. I think they must get a really big discount from Dunlop for using that tire because I'm sure it doesn't sell well by itself. Do yourself a favor and get a D756. I guarantee you will be satisfied.

• B86_Racer

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:07 PM

I def. agree that the front tire sucks. You would just be surprised how many people buy D739 tire sets from me over and over again. I guess they actually found terrain that works for them.

• retro450

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:11 PM

No doubt about the 756. I got a worn one on the front of my 250 and they sleep next to each other and that is when i really realized the tire is horrible because I started comparing the two and the old 756 snagged me alot more and I could fit two fingers between treads vs. only one on the 739. Obviously no argument there, but I have always ran mostly Michelins and obviously I got a 756 on the 250. I wonder which is better for all around. I ride it all .Nasty to groomed. Is that going to be the best you think? Im gonna go get one before Sat. just wanna get the best of course.

• aford541

Posted February 08, 2006 - 10:17 PM

Actually a couple of my buddies prefer the 739 for hard pack, I think its probably good on Blue groove, pavement like stuff.
On my 05 I decided to give the 739 a try and my feet and knees hurt from catching he front end sliding out all day. 756 works great almost anywhere, It blows my mind how good that tire is, I tried to change to the 742 90 wide tire and I thought it was good except when you needed traction in light loam.
then occasionally it would wash out where that tire stood out as better than anything I have ever used is during hard braking the bike stuck like glue.
I used the 742 on my 06 and it seemed to work as well as on the 05.
I think what it is for me is I have used the 756 for so long that I will try to steer the bike in the soft loam the same with the other tires when they are better suited to stay on the hard stuff unless there is a berm.
I prefer the 56 0r the 42 90 wide bottom line.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2006 - 11:19 PM

... the stock Dunlop 739 flat sucks.

Hell, we told you that! :thumbsup:

JK :thumbsup:

• flintlock28

Posted February 09, 2006 - 03:14 AM

I love hearing this.......

When I first got my 2004 Yz450f, I kept washing out the front with the 739.

A co-worker of mine kept saying it was me, and not the tire. I replaced that crappy 739 with a 756, and viola! no more problem. His bike came used with a set of Kenda's, so he never experienced the wash out. He still says it was me........numbskull.

• Butta

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:31 AM

When I replaced my 739 for a 756 front I couldn't believe how good I was...and I never knew because of that damn 739. I still have it, and I think my wife will be making a christmas wreath out of it this year. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:33 AM

I gave my 739 away to somebody at the track.

• DSMotorsport

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:36 AM

Looks like Im going to buy a new 756 front tire, new chain, and new bars when I pick up my new 02 YZF450 Blue in a few weeks and install them before I even ride it. I bet selling the new stock parts on ebay will cover it for 80% since the take-of parts are brand new.

Oh and a few richer main and pilot jets.

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:38 AM

The 739 is really good on the hard tracks, but in loam, sand or mud forget it. You cant fault a tire if you ride on dirt other than what it was designed for. The 756 front is down right scary on the hard pack, but excellent elsewhere.

• twenty34

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:29 AM

Yea, in mudd, the 739 is like riding on glass. As soon as you ride on hardpack however, the tire seems to do just fine. That said, I guess it's safe to assume that the 739 is a hardpack tire which seems pretty consistent with the threads here.

Actually a couple of my buddies prefer the 739 for hard pack, I think its probably good on Blue groove, pavement like stuff.
On my 05 I decided to give the 739 a try and my feet and knees hurt from catching he front end sliding out all day. 756 works great almost anywhere, It blows my mind how good that tire is, I tried to change to the 742 90 wide tire and I thought it was good except when you needed traction in light loam.
then occasionally it would wash out where that tire stood out as better than anything I have ever used is during hard braking the bike stuck like glue.
I used the 742 on my 06 and it seemed to work as well as on the 05.
I think what it is for me is I have used the 756 for so long that I will try to steer the bike in the soft loam the same with the other tires when they are better suited to stay on the hard stuff unless there is a berm.
I prefer the 56 0r the 42 90 wide bottom line.

• twenty34

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:32 AM

good point. I wonder what the best all-around tire then if the 756 isn't for hard pack? I ride in combination environments with hard pack, sand, silt, a little mud once in a while, loam, etc.

The 739 is really good on the hard tracks, but in loam, sand or mud forget it. You cant fault a tire if you ride on dirt other than what it was designed for. The 756 front is down right scary on the hard pack, but excellent elsewhere.

• retro450

Posted February 21, 2006 - 12:34 PM

Problem solved. I put a Bridgestone 401 on the front and I really like this tire. I have always gone with Michelin S12 rear and either S12 or M12 up front, but always got off the bike and checked to see if I had put air in the front S12 after mounting it because it folds. No more, I will stick with the Bridgestone 401 Front tire it really hooks . Now the stock rear has to go and I know that the S12 is by far the best rear tire for me, that thing sticks like glue.

• NYMXer

Posted February 21, 2006 - 12:57 PM

I put on a Maxxis IT..........problem solved.

• Yak

Posted February 21, 2006 - 01:32 PM

I actually like the 739 for my local track. Stead, NV. Its perfect for sand that gets packed up and becomes like concrete. I still have a 756 mounted for the times Im not on the track, but I think the handling is good if you use it in the right conditions. You wouldn't use a paddle in the street, why complain about a tire made for hardpack in the sand? ...use the right tires for your terrain, regardless if it comes OEM or not.

• riderman329

Posted February 21, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Looks like Im going to buy a new 756 front tire, new chain, and new bars when I pick up my new 02 YZF450 Blue in a few weeks and install them before I even ride it. I bet selling the new stock parts on ebay will cover it for 80% since the take-of parts are brand new.

Oh and a few richer main and pilot jets.

some guys had his 06 bars on ebay last week and he only got 51 bucks

also you'll get a 170 and 160 main jets in you tool kit, chain is a must! gold o ring is the way to go!!!

• sbrown

Posted February 22, 2006 - 11:25 AM

The 739 is supposed to be a hardpack tire. A lot of people use them for desert riding in Arizona. Most of us have favorite tires and brands we believe are the best. Tire choice is a very personal, individual thing. Other people like certain movies and restaurants, that doesnt mean you will. If you're in this game long enough, you should expereiment with different tires and combinations to find what youthink that works for you. The others be damned. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.