oil pressure check?

23 replies to this topic
  • CycleWriter

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:30 PM

yep read the manual cyclewriter, it says crack the line, and banjos are not truly one use, only if the get to crushed, or seep

I already explained my confusion because of the model year. I've been doing this long enough to know that unnecessarily messing with a perfectly good banjo bolt is a bad idea. Apparently, so does Yamaha since they designed a way to avoid it on later models. Not only is there the very real chance of leakage from reusing the crush washers, but as Gray pointed out, the pipe is easy to damage from improper torquing or twisting of the brazed joint. The slightest deformity of the banjo fitting will often result in a leak that can only be fixed by replacement of the pipe. As the OP pointed out, he now has a leak at this fitting from trying to reuse the crush washers. This practice is even more likely and dangerous when done with brake line fittings. Trying to reuse a 20 cent part is beyond foolish, IMHO, no matter what the manual says. Service procedures are often revised from one model year to the next, and a manual can have info in it that is no longer accepted as proper procedure. Unfortunately, there's no way to update the manuals already out there. That's where forums like this one come in handy. :thumbsup:

• CycleWriter

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for taking care of my light work, Gray! :thumbsup:

Manuals are only good at the time they are written, which is often long before a model is in use. Apparently, the advice given in this manual to crack the banjo fitting caused enough problems for users that Yamaha designed a new way to check oil pressure that eliminated this practice. At the least, if you must use the old manual's instructions, have a new set of crush washers handy in the event of a leak. They are cheap and will also fit your brake line fittings, so having a half dozen around is a good idea. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 98Thumpin400f

Posted February 13, 2006 - 09:27 AM

My local had the washers in stock my leak has been repaired and the first test ride was a success except for my neighbors yelling to stay off the street but I had to try her out. :thumbsup:

• Butta

Posted February 14, 2006 - 04:53 AM

Manuals are only good at the time they are written, which is often long before a model is in use. Apparently, the advice given in this manual to crack the banjo fitting caused enough problems for users that Yamaha designed a new way to check oil pressure that eliminated this practice. At the least, if you must use the old manual's instructions, have a new set of crush washers handy in the event of a leak. They are cheap and will also fit your brake line fittings, so having a half dozen around is a good idea. :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree with you more on this. However, as in the case of the '98, this is your only option for oil pressure checking (that i know of), so stock up on those crush washers!!

:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.