Rims locks needed??

9 replies to this topic
  • Roll_it_on

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I was wondering if I need to use rim locks for my street set of tires for my 650R. I have two sets of wheels, one for the dirt with rim locks and a second set with street tires. I was thinking that the balance would be better without the rim locks and I was wondering if it would be a problem for for my road riding set that run with 20lbs of pressure in the tires. Thoughts??

• ewbish

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:43 PM

Ha, this is funny you ask. The 650L doesn't have rimlocks. It was on my list of upgrades to do, and then I had a brand new front tire blow out about 100 yards from my parking lot at work. The tire peeled completely off the rim before I could stop. I rode the rim into work. That weekend, new rimlocks front and rear!

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 08, 2006 - 06:45 PM

I put them on the F/R of my 06 L.

They are inexpensive, plus I was mounting some MT-21's, so it was the right time to do it. They are essential on a dirt-only bike, and for my L, which will see plenty of street, they might come in handy for flats, etc. Plus the dirt time, too.

I had my new tires balanced as if it was a street setup. The rimlocks will need to be offset with wheel weights, for any street use. A tech worth his salt will located the tire's "light spot", and match it up with where the rimlock is to help offset the weight issue, and to use less wheel weights.

Shops around here sell them for about $12ea, but online they are $6-7ea. Worth the expense and hassle, IMHO.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 08, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Ha, this is funny you ask. The 650L doesn't have rimlocks. It was on my list of upgrades to do, and then I had a brand new front tire blow out about 100 yards from my parking lot at work. The tire peeled completely off the rim before I could stop. I rode the rim into work. That weekend, new rimlocks front and rear!

how far did you ride on rim?

• ewbish

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:09 PM

how far did you ride on rim?

Not far. It didn't hurt the rim, but the tire was trashed. I didn't like the Michelin POS anyway, it was a soft terrain tire and just sucked in the desert. I put a 606 on it to match the back, my personal favorite all around desert tire. I was even able to get both wheels with 606's and rimlocks balanced.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:39 PM

I would'nt use rim locks on your street set because your air pres. is going to be higher. Also 20 psi seems kind of low for street tires that are obviously going to be ridden hard on that kind of bike.

• ghoti

Posted February 09, 2006 - 05:48 AM

I use one on the back only. I don't think it's necessary for street riding and higher pressures but definately for lower dirt pressures. I have a question for using one, if the rim strip is used do you put the lock under the strip, cut a hole in it, throw the rim strip away and use duct tape, or are there rim strips with 2 holes?

• goblin127

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:45 AM

Cut a hole in it. I've done it both with the strap over and under but the proper way is to put the strap over.

• ghoti

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:07 AM

Cut a hole in it. I've done it both with the strap over and under but the proper way is to put the strap over.

That's what I did this time. I had such a hard time pushing in the rim lock when I was mounting up my Karoo I think I'm going to use duct tape next time.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:54 AM

I would'nt use rim locks on your street set because your air pres. is going to be higher. Also 20 psi seems kind of low for street tires that are obviously going to be ridden hard on that kind of bike.

Until you get a flat.

1000 miles from home.
In the winter.
During a blizzard.
Up hill both ways.
With aliens chasing you.
Who have twin bioplasma disruptors.
Triangulated on your cranium.

Actually, they might be handy, in certain circumstances, on the street. YMMV.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.