Sheared Rear Sprocket Bolts?

8 replies to this topic
  • bobwombat

Posted September 18, 2001 - 11:58 AM

had anyone had experience w/sheared rear sprocket bolts? any problems w/bolts backing out at all? tips/tricks re: properly installing the bolts is appreciated. thx, forum....

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 18, 2001 - 02:59 PM

Yes my rear sprocket bolts were loose, even though they are locking it is good to check them.

• slashman

Posted September 19, 2001 - 08:44 PM

hey bob are you ready to ride yet. this friday east valley(afternoon). or saturday. e-mail me at

not yz timmed yet
some mods

Posted September 20, 2001 - 03:21 AM

RSK and I recently had the extreme displeasure of watching one of our YZ250 brothers completely shatter a hub, destroy a chain wheel and chain guide coming off a 3ft terrace in a pasture. He had never checked the bolt torque in a year of riding....It caught up to him in a very expensive way...

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lewichris

Posted September 20, 2001 - 06:58 AM

If you are ever in a pinch and you lose one a nylon wire tie works well for an emergenct to get you back to your truck. Not a small one though. Use a big thick one. Of course this is if you lose one or two bolts.

If life is not a blur. You aren't going fast enough

• Maicoman

Posted September 20, 2001 - 07:31 AM

Add my 250 F to the list,
luckily they were only starting to get loose, and yes I checked them several times before.
I retightened with a different type of "Locktite", let's see if that works.

• mike_dean

Posted September 21, 2001 - 02:10 AM

Make sure you are not adjusting your chain too tight, putting extra pressure on the sprocket. mike

• bobwombat

Posted September 21, 2001 - 07:52 AM

good thought, mike. thx to all for your input....bobwombat

• MLN

Posted October 01, 2001 - 05:45 PM

Yes, When I first got my 01 426 I started going through rear sprocket bolts. The first 2 that sheared I blamed on myself for not checking the tightness. The second 2 I found right after they sheared to find a ring of rust on the core of the bolt. I am convinced that there must have been a defective batch of bolts produced. I now have replaced all my sprocket bolts and have over 2000kms on them trouble free.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.