I need a new back tire. Which to buy??

23 replies to this topic
  • TWILES

Posted February 08, 2006 - 03:02 PM

I have slicked my back tire. I don't have a clue of what to buy to replace it. Does anyone have any good suggestions. I'm in Kentucky. Terrain varies a lot. Thanks for any help.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 08, 2006 - 03:07 PM

IRC - M5B -140 size if you want a big knobs that dont clog in clay mud and grab nasty roots and firm rocks. :thumbsup:
S12 - 140 size ( actually a 120) is also great in KY clay but weak on wet rocks.
If you are a throttle junkie get and Maxxis IT- 120 rear.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 08, 2006 - 03:52 PM

I'm in the same boat. I've been recommended the IRC VE33 enduro tire. I've got a maxxis IT and I like it, but working on a tight budget. Kinda leaning toward the Kenda Southwick. Anyone used it?

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 08, 2006 - 03:58 PM

I've used the Kenda Southwick but I prefer the Michelin S-12. I get them for 59.99 :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:14 PM

Try a Dunlop 952. They work great for most terrain and seem to hold up really well.

• JRAMBO

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:20 PM

You could try the perelli's they seam to be working great for me they are also about $60.00.

• pkcof

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:41 PM

yup i agree ... Dunlop 952's are great or the Kenda 'Carlsbad', not the 'Southwick' as it wears too quickly and grips less on the hard stuff ...

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:44 PM

I don't ride much hard stuff at all. lots of muddy clay type terrain.

• mxmx0606yzf

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:56 PM

go for the maxxis sur cross st, outstanding tire for the price, probably the best soft to intermediate tire i have ever used. if you shop a little you can get one for $45!!

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 08, 2006 - 06:28 PM

If you want big, aggresive go with the IRC M5B, its awesome. If you want something a little smaller, great for single track of all sorts go with the IRC VE series. I love them too. I like the M5B for hillclimbing in the loose stuff, and the VE for everthing else :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 08, 2006 - 06:47 PM

You could try the perelli's they seam to be working great for me they are also about $60.00.

I seen a guy with a Pirelli, it looked okay, but it didn't have any rim protection. The bead was flush with the rim. Thats why I like Dunlops, the side wall sticks out about an 1/8th inch wider than the rim.

• t469

Posted February 09, 2006 - 04:14 AM

i'm running kenda millville's here in ky and they seem to do well, nice lugs and look alot like the dunlops, seems to really hook up well in alot of different terrain and not wearing too bad either.

• minion

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I have the Pirelli Scorpion Pros, and I love the back over my stocker. Its the grabbiest tire I've ever used (and I have used others on different bikes - my only experience isn't just the stocker. :thumbsup: ). The front tire is an improvement over my stocker as well, but I think next time I'll be getting the Pirelli M32T as a front - looks more mud worthy.

M.

• minion

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I seen a guy with a Pirelli, it looked okay, but it didn't have any rim protection. The bead was flush with the rim. Thats why I like Dunlops, the side wall sticks out about an 1/8th inch wider than the rim.

Maybe he bought the wrong tire width for his rim. Mine stick over a bit, so my rim is protected.

M.

• 450 Hurricane

Posted February 09, 2006 - 12:01 PM

I just received my newest back tire yesterday. A wall of rubber covered in HUGE knobs: The USA 140 Tera Flex.

I couldn't help but laugh when I opened the box. This thing is enormous!

I hope it is as awesome as it looks.

I got mine from M&H Tire at http://www.mandhtires.com. They were quick and easy to work with. You may want to check them out.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 09, 2006 - 12:22 PM

The USA 140 Tera Flex.

I couldn't help but laugh when I opened the box. This thing is enormous!

I hope it is as awesome as it looks.

My buddies was a huge POS, one ride in the mountains and done: chunked out. Others have said theirs held up well. Let us know how yours does will you. Thanks. :worth

[COLOR=Red]NOTE EDIT: Sorry I had 'head in ass' syndrome. I was thinking of the China 150. The USA 140 is generally very durable and has awesome traction. But do be aware at 19+ lbs, it take some power to spin.[/COLOR]

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 09, 2006 - 12:34 PM

Dont worry the USA 140 version with steel belt lasts 10 times longer then the 150 China version! I ride mine down to half the knob height in 1000 miles! Then I put on a new one or save it for Moab and put another 250 miles on it and throw it away! :thumbsup:

Make sure your buddies wear roosts behind you because it can throw fist size rocks back at them at 60 mph! :thumbsup:

• steve lemley

Posted February 09, 2006 - 02:22 PM

Want absolutly knarly, get a teraflex but only the USA 140 version not the 150 China junk version, want a normal sized(120 - 110) all around good combo stick with the Perrellis or even better, I run the Maxxis Desert ITS and they are probley the best overall and wear like iron, I dual sport and the maxxis holds up better than anything i have ever baught. I got them from Rocky mountain, front and back with shipping for $90. :thumbsup:

• steve lemley

Posted February 09, 2006 - 02:24 PM

Caution on the teraflex, you better have a lot of motor to turn it or it will baug on hills, also it will increase your weight and height of the bike but most say its worth it:)

Its a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search for a tread on them some have submitted pics of this monster

• 426Woodsguy

Posted February 09, 2006 - 02:44 PM

Michelin X-11 Trials tire.
Worth every penny IMO.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.