honda xl600r question

7 replies to this topic
  • soccermania688

Posted February 08, 2006 - 02:53 PM

i have a 1987 xl600r and i decided to change the oil today so i changed the oil filter and when i went to go fill it back it up with oil, it was going down extremely slow and the oil wasnt really even thick. what should i do or this just normal? i took me like 20 minutes to put a quart of oil in it and i still have some of the second left! could this be because i didn't drain the second drain plug on the frame, i only drained the drain hole on the crankcase!

• brichter

Posted February 08, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Yes. Most of the oil stays in the frame, that's the purpose behind a dry sump. Don't start it, just drain the crankcase again and then drain the frame. Then refill it again as per the manual.

<edit>

Then go buy the manual, you're going to need it. There's also a special procedure for checking the oil level.

• pcmartin

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:43 PM

After you put the first qt. in kick it through a few times with the compression release pulled in and the key off. After you get half of the second qt in start it and let it run for a minute. Then shut it off and finish filling. It takes 2 Liters, 2.1 quarts.

• JohnBG

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:05 PM

i have a 1987 xl600r and i decided to change the oil today so i changed the oil filter and when i went to go fill it back it up with oil, it was going down extremely slow and the oil wasnt really even thick. what should i do or this just normal? i took me like 20 minutes to put a quart of oil in it and i still have some of the second left! could this be because i didn't drain the second drain plug on the frame, i only drained the drain hole on the crankcase!

Ya gotta drain both of them (the crankcase and the frame). You probably have it overfilled now. Just drain them both and start over again. Once you got them both drained, put 1.5 quarts in the tank, run the bike for a few minutes, and then put about another quart in. She takes just a about 2.5 quarts on my '87 XL600R.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Trailrider61

Posted June 30, 2014 - 04:53 PM

I agree with that. That is what I learned as well.
Does any one have a ground wire from the neg, of the battery to the frame or engine on their 1987 Honda xl600r

Edited by Robert King, June 30, 2014 - 04:53 PM.

• kmequint

Posted July 01, 2014 - 04:35 AM

For what it is worth I put one quart in the frame and the other quart goes in the right exhaust valve tappet cover.

• bork

Posted July 01, 2014 - 06:25 AM

For what it is worth I put one quart in the frame and the other quart goes in the right exhaust valve tappet cover.

Great tip! thanks

• Buckxl600r

Posted July 06, 2014 - 01:08 AM

Don't forget to undo the oiled strainer from the frame drain and wash it out as well they have oil filter in right hand engine cover and the frame strainer

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.