650R air filter screen/ toss it?

5 replies to this topic
  • Maximus86

Posted February 08, 2006 - 12:44 PM

ok-just ordered a K&N filter-now i'm a little confused

Do i use the stock metal screen that goes behind the filter or do i just toss it.

I havn't recieved the K&N yet but the reason i'm asking is i see higher flow metal screens for sale? SHould i go a head and order one of those to so its here when the K&N comes?

thanks

• Lofty

Posted February 08, 2006 - 01:11 PM

hi i have the same set up with k&n filter i also was confused about the screen.this is what i came up with instead of throwing away the old screen to wast more money on some after market product , i spoke with a friend and he suggested cutting away 2 of the 3 layers of the stock mesh leaving one. you have to be careful but it does not take to long and works just fine. just my 2 cents worth.

• snaggleXR650

Posted February 08, 2006 - 01:21 PM

MOST filters come with it's own support screen, and so the stock screen isn't needed. I have an OLD version of the UNI filters which did not come with it's own screen. I also pried apart the frame and removed all but one of the screens for better flow.

It's pretty well known that the K&N filters don't do well for dirt bikes, they let too much junk pass though. Don't take my word for it, do some searches and see for yourself. If your bike is street legal and used on road only then it would be ok. Any foam filter will be much better for true off-roading. Look into the UNI, Twin Air etc...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Koko Azuela

Posted February 08, 2006 - 03:50 PM

I would leave it as it is or maybe take off a couple of layers like these guys suggest, i had a friend with a UNI filter with the screen that comes with the filter, he took the stock mesh off, then he had a big backfire from the engine, the filter burned quite a bit, good thing he was almost home from a days ride, if that happened while in the dust, the engine would of eaten all the dust and engine failure for sure!!!!! I know, backfires rarely happens with a properly jetted bike, maybe this was the issue, but anyway, he bought another UNI filter but now leaves the stock mesh filter for protection...
My 2 pesos

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:20 AM

The back that XRs Only sells is a good solution. You can make your own out of perf aluminum, using the stock part for a pattern.

• targetdrone

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:32 PM

MOST filters come with it's own support screen, and so the stock screen isn't needed. I have an OLD version of the UNI filters which did not come with it's own screen. I also pried apart the frame and removed all but one of the screens for better flow.

It's pretty well known that the K&N filters don't do well for dirt bikes, they let too much junk pass though. Don't take my word for it, do some searches and see for yourself. If your bike is street legal and used on road only then it would be ok. Any foam filter will be much better for true off-roading. Look into the UNI, Twin Air etc...

DITTO!!!!

Go with a UNI. When you work on enough bikes and the ones that come into the shop with K&N have alot of scored cylinders and the ones with foam filters don't, you can only come to one conclusion. K&N filters suck.....sand, dirt, rocks, etc.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.