Chain question

13 replies to this topic
  • stainlessTT

Posted February 08, 2006 - 12:20 PM

I lost the idler directly behind the front sproket on my 04 yz450. Where can I get one of these cheap?

What things have fallen off of your bike? I lost my kick strater once before too.

• catmanz440

Posted February 08, 2006 - 01:32 PM

tt website. or, www.rockymountainmc.com

I try to keep parts ON my bike :thumbsup:

• Tibbles

Posted February 10, 2006 - 08:46 AM

My top sub frame bolt tried to fall out once that was kinda wierd. check all bolts after every race.

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:51 PM

Loc-tite is your friend!

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Loc-tite is your friend!

Wrenches, too! :thumbsup:

• migs647

Posted February 11, 2006 - 12:59 AM

Wrenches, too! :thumbsup:

I use fingernail polish instead of loctite... works better.

• Tooliemxer

Posted February 11, 2006 - 01:20 AM

blue loctite works good-never use red!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tooliemxer

Posted February 11, 2006 - 01:21 AM

get a o ring or x ring don't go cheap because it will save you money in the end. :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 11, 2006 - 05:23 AM

I use fingernail polish instead of loctite... works better.

Somehow I doubt it works better, please be careful. Especially if you use it on internal motor parts that call for a thread locker.

• Satch0922

Posted February 11, 2006 - 07:11 AM

the only thing I use the red Loctite on is the rear sprocket bolts.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:05 AM

Both Loc-Tites have their place. Red is for stuff that's more critical and less often removed, like bearing retainer bolts, clutch basket bolts, stuff like that. And yes, chain guides and roller pivots, too. It really isn't that tough to remove fasteners secured with it, either.

Blue is for the more every day stuff like lever clamps and seat bolts. A single application can be reused up to maybe three times, although its effectiveness will be diminished with each reuse.

If you stick a sprocket on the back and leave it there for a year or more, use red. If you change gears once or twice a month, use blue instead. If you change them on a near weekly basis, buy 3-4 extra sets of bolts and a bag of lock nuts and don't use Loc-Tite at all. It just depends. :thumbsup:

BTW, I'll beat you look really hot with your nails all done up :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:29 AM

BTW, I'll beat you look really hot with your nails all done up :thumbsup:

I hope that was an accidental mistype........ :thumbsup:

• migs647

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:50 AM

Somehow I doubt it works better, please be careful. Especially if you use it on internal motor parts that call for a thread locker.

I don't use it on internal engine parts (motors are electrical :thumbsup:). I use fingernail polish on a lot of things actually. Engine Mounts, Sealing Graphics (clear), Marking Bolts, its really useful. I have a factory mechanic do all my engine work so I never have any reason to use fingernail polish on the inside. But for the most part I use finger nail polish instead of loctite. The reason it works better is because it seals as more of a plastic... so when you loosen exterior bolts its more of a snap than a reef. I don't trust loc-tite at all. I've had too many bolts come out from loc-tite. Almost seems to me it acts more of a lubricant than a lock.

• migs647

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:52 AM

I hope that was an accidental mistype........ :thumbsup:

Bwahahahaha!! I won't name any names in the northwest that do that and race... but i'm not one of them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.