Changing the black stuff(oil)

7 replies to this topic
  • jake86

Posted September 18, 2001 - 11:29 AM

Hi,2000 WR400f that's what i've got,I ride about 50% on/off road, When should i change the oil ??? At present i do it every 300 miles and also change the filter at the same time.Does this sound about right. Thanks

• Rocky

Posted September 18, 2001 - 12:22 PM

You are on the right track. I change my oil every 100 miles and the filter every 300. Oil is cheap and engine repaires are not!!

• Thumper33

Posted September 18, 2001 - 02:27 PM

I hate to sound like an idiot, but...

THESE THINGS HAVE OIL FILTERS?

Where?

I just got mine and only have 200 miles on it thank god.

------------------
2000 WR400F - Throttle stop shortened, Grey Wire Cut, Filter Cover Removed, Panoram Computer...

• JOSHUAZ2

Posted September 18, 2001 - 02:42 PM

I CHANGE MINE EVERY 300 MILES(MOBIL 1 15-50 SYNTHETIC) AND CLEAN, YES CLEAN THE FILTER EVERY THIRD TIME. THE FILTER IS ON THE THROTTLE SIDE OF THE BIKE UNDER AND SLIGHTLY BELOW WHERE THE HEAD PIPE RUNS BY THE BREAK PEDAL. IT IS BEHIND A 2" COVER WITH 3 BOLTS IN IT. YOU WILL HAVE TO LOOSEN THE HEAD PIPE(IF STOCK) TO GET IT OFF. IT SHOULD BE A METAL FILTER AND IS WASHABLE.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buffaman

Posted September 18, 2001 - 02:49 PM

I change my oil every 300 miles and clean the oil filter every time along with the frame filter. It's alot more work but i think it's worth it. If you have 30 min then take another 30 min and do the job right.

• funktree

Posted September 18, 2001 - 02:57 PM

I change the oil about every other ride or so. Probably about 100mi and do the filter about every third time I do the oil. I used to do the frame filter whenever I did the oil filter. i have never found anything in the frame filter the three times Ive done it, not even during break in when the bike was new. So i dont really check it anymore.

• DOC

Posted September 18, 2001 - 10:49 PM

yeah, that oil strainer is really just there if you happen to drop rocks in the filler hole. My friends wr400 had something 4000 miles on it and the strainer was spotless. Not worth the extra effort i believe.

• mcarp

Posted September 19, 2001 - 04:30 AM

That's about right. I changed mine after every ride when it was new and cleaned the oil filter (thump33-just below the header there's 3 bolts on a small round-ish cover). Remove these bolts (one is an allen screw, two are 8mm hex) to access the oil filter-spray brake cleaner on the inside forcing the gunk out)

Now after the bike is well used, I'm changing it around 200 miles-but these are almost all fairly hard riding with little 'cruising' on the road. I think if you do it under 300 miles you should be fine.

Here's a tip. When all the drain bolts are out, get on the bike, pull in the compression lever and push the kickstarter SLOWLY over about 1 dozen times. You'll be amazed how much dirty oil will come out from the oil lines and pump. I've tested the pressure after doing this and it comes up immediately, so i don't there's risk of momentary lack of oil on the top end.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.