XR problems?

8 replies to this topic
  • vintagethumper

Posted February 08, 2006 - 11:27 AM

Hi guys,

As you can see from my signature, I'm usually at other areas of the TT site. But a good friend is wanting to buy a used XR 600 or 650, and asked me to help him. Questions are...

Are there problems with these bikes that he should look for when shopping for a used one?

Which bike would you recommend?

Thanks for you help!

And oh yea, do any of you know of a good one for sale? He's in New Mexico.

• BIGGITY

Posted February 08, 2006 - 12:35 PM

XR650R

www.cycletrader.com

www.xr650r.us for all the problems to look out for. :thumbsup:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted February 08, 2006 - 12:37 PM

The 2000-2006 xr650r did not have any major problems. These bikes have not changed much at all over those years. I love my bike.

2000 xr650r plated
uncorked
fast

• Maximus86

Posted February 08, 2006 - 12:45 PM

2000-2002 some bikes have leaky cs sprocket seal-cheap and easy to fix

also they changec lutch bushing sometimes in 02-cheap part-a little harder to fix

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blvd619

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:30 PM

I agree some sprocket seal problems on those years, if you do not run synthetic you most likely will not even have that as a problem. The stock wheel/spoke sets are really weak, stock bars and are horrible. I would definently uncork it and then enjoy it, it is a great bike. Precision Concepts in El Cajon, CA. has everything that you would ever need to make the bike all it can be, very nice people too..

• bork

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:19 AM

I bought a used XR600r about 5 years ago, & love it ! Just change oil often. The only thing I'm not used to ( & because I always rode old bikes with dual shocks in rear) Is the maintanence of rebuilding shock & forks. And probably depends on your needs (racing etc...) And I suppose all the bikes within 15 years old would be the same. The only thing on the XR600r, is the choke plate can get sucked in the engine. So it is a must to get rid of plate!!! Get after market choke plate or a different carb. My .02. Good luck ! :thumbsup:

• roadcam

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:02 AM

you neglected to say what your friend wants to use the bike for ... if he wants a street-legal dirtbike, go with the XR650L, otherwise he will have to convert the XR600 or XR650R ... lots of riders do ... if he wants a go-fast dirtbike, definitely get the XR650R ... all are as dependable as anything made ... :thumbsup:

• vintagethumper

Posted February 09, 2006 - 01:18 PM

you neglected to say what your friend wants to use the bike for ... if he wants a street-legal dirtbike, go with the XR650L, otherwise he will have to convert the XR600 or XR650R ... lots of riders do ... if he wants a go-fast dirtbike, definitely get the XR650R ... all are as dependable as anything made ... :thumbsup:

Good question! He wants to do a few things. Off- road would be a lot of the wide open territory found in New Mexico. But he also wants to get a set of extra wheels and be able to convert it to a street legal Super Moto style bike. Sounds to me like it would get ridden pretty hard.

• gdaddy05

Posted February 11, 2006 - 03:40 PM

I purchased a92 XR600r a couple months ago, and really like it. I was wondering what type of new carb you reccomend, or how to go about fixing the factory one??????also how often do I change the oil, and what type(brand)is best

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.