Stuck valve shim. Need suggetions

6 replies to this topic
  • ArizonaThumper

Posted February 08, 2006 - 07:41 AM

While doing valve lash adjustment , I have one exhaust shim that I cant remove from the seat. I have tried a magnet, tapping, heat, and blast of air. Any suggestions:

• rockieman

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Take brake cleaner and spray the shim and bucket real good...this will disolve all the oil around it ...which is keeping it in place.
Then give it a blast of air.
Good luck

• ArizonaThumper

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:39 AM

thanks, Ill try that,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Waxer

Posted February 08, 2006 - 04:12 PM

remember heat expands, if you try heat only apply heat to the retainer & try to direct as little to the shim as possible. If you can direct cold to the shim ( maybe a clean air can upsidedown (cheap freon) that may reduce the shim to allow it to be extracted.

• ncampion

Posted February 08, 2006 - 06:26 PM

I would not recommend heating the cam bucket, it could alter the hardness and quickly wear both the follower and the cam. I agree with the solvent approach.

• jnybbad1l40

Posted February 08, 2006 - 07:35 PM

If you have a valve spring compressor you can take the tension off the spring and push up on the valve. This should push the shim out. Ive had to do this before.

• aford541

Posted February 08, 2006 - 10:34 PM

If you are careful and I want to emphasize careful pit the piston at tdc and take a socket that has an extension and press down on the retainer the valve will go down and touch the piston and it will push out the shim, you have to be careful though. If you push too far the keepers might fall out then the head may have to come off unless you have a fancy attachment that will allow you to pressurize the combustion chamber to hold the valve up to put the valve keepers back in. Did I say you have to be careful.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.