Still finding sand in filter...'06 450

11 replies to this topic
  • Wyatt

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:55 AM

Most of you probably remember my post a couple weeks ago about finding sand in my oil filter on my bike and chasing the cause down to find that it entered through the crankcase breather hose.

I initially felt that the hose got plugged in a crash and then the dirt was sucked into the motor. I cleaned and flushed the motor and changed the oil several times after I found sand for the first time. All was clean and I felt good about it. I did replace the black hose with a clear one so that I could see if dirt made it into the hose.

After a few hard practices and a race this weekend, I changed the oil again. :thumbsup: Sand in oil filter!! I removed the clear hose and inspected it. Sand grains have worked there way all the way up to the valve cover.

For some reason there is more negative pressure than positive pressure on the breather and even though it feels like it is blowing air, there is suction.

I am going to now do what I should have done to start with and put some sort of filter on the end of the breather hose.

I have owned two previous YZF's and I have never noticed this. It could be unique to the '06, or with my luck.......just unique to mine.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 07, 2006 - 12:17 PM

Most of you probably remember my post a couple weeks ago about finding sand in my oil filter on my bike and chasing the cause down to find that it entered through the crankcase breather hose.

I initially felt that the hose got plugged in a crash and then the dirt was sucked into the motor. I cleaned and flushed the motor and changed the oil several times after I found sand for the first time. All was clean and I felt good about it. I did replace the black hose with a clear one so that I could see if dirt made it into the hose.

After a few hard practices and a race this weekend, I changed the oil again. :thumbsup: Sand in oil filter!! I removed the clear hose and inspected it. Sand grains have worked there way all the way up to the valve cover.

For some reason there is more negative pressure than positive pressure on the breather and even though it feels like it is blowing air, there is suction.

I am going to now do what I should have done to start with and put some sort of filter on the end of the breather hose.

I have owned two previous YZF's and I have never noticed this. It could be unique to the '06, or with my luck.......just unique to mine.

or consider rerouting it ........ Let me see if mine does this.. :thumbsup:

• rasta

Posted February 07, 2006 - 03:59 PM

i have been finding it in my 03 since almost new. never caused me no problems yet and never ridden in sand. somebody told me that it is probably sand from bead blasting castings at factory but i have no idea

• FFRacing79

Posted February 07, 2006 - 05:27 PM

Little late to be thinking about the filter on the breather...If you got that much sand as you say in the motor, it's rebuild time! Tdub

• lipskid

Posted February 07, 2006 - 06:40 PM

Three years ago i was about 90 miles into my first race ever, and dumped my new WR on a rough hill climb. When I picked up the bike I looked down and saw oil on my boot. The small timing plug was gone and a bunch of fine silty dirt was packed into the hole. The stator was packed with oily mud. :thumbsup: I wound up pulling some duct tape(taped numbers on) off the bike, wadded it up, and plugged the hole. Then rode the remaining 6 miles in (did pretty good too...for an old slow guy).

When I got home I pulled the cover, and sprayed every thing out with contact cleaner. Filled 'er up with oil, ran it for 10 minutes, drained it. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

About a year later, I had the case cover off again and found a little piece of wood in the bottom of the case. :thumbsup:

Two more seasons of hare scrambles and lots of other miles and the bike still runs great.

I found a few grains of sand in the filter of my new YZ on the second oil change. I made a breather filter with some PVC fittings from Home Depot(check the lawn sprinkler section) and some filter foam.

I ain't skeered.

• FFRacing79

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Hmmm...wonder what your piston, cylinder and bearings, not to mention your oil pump look like? But then again, until you tear it down you will never know...like the old saying goes,"what you dont know can't hurt you". Yeh right! Tdub

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lipskid

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:53 AM

Yeah, ignorance is bliss. I plan on rebuilding it soon. I guess I'll see. I can't imagine it looks pristine in there. Believe me, I was freaked out. But after studying the lube diagram in the manual, and the fact it hadn't grenaded already, I decided to pray and trust in the oil filter. If I had the knowledge, time, and cash, I would have torn it down.
My point is, it's not necessarily the end of the world. I don't like finding sand in my new ride, and hopefully the breather filter will prevent more of it from getting in. My past experience tells me there's a good chance I don't need to worry. Besides, I'd probably do more damage with a wrench. :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted February 08, 2006 - 01:13 PM

Here is how Team Yamaha does it....

http://img.timeinc.n...06/_Y5L0047.jpg

• cowboyona426

Posted February 08, 2006 - 01:17 PM

DPW, I can't see what they've done to the breather on Reed's bike in that pic... :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted February 08, 2006 - 01:20 PM

left it stock....just thought that was interesting is all.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 08, 2006 - 10:38 PM

Okay, that's what I thought I just wanted to make sure :thumbsup: I have never had any problems with mine on my 426 but when I get my 450 I'll keep an eye on it and maybe try to route it up under the tank and out of sight.

• RAMARION

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:27 AM

on my last air filter change, I notice alot of sand that was on the inside of the filter??????????? Thats a 1st for me????? I use no toil, and rim grease, I just chalked it up to washing my bike and water penetrated the filter.............
I'm gonna check my filter before I wash my bike.....we might have a 02 CRF problem gonna on here.............

all my preivios YZ's (99, 02, 03) have never had this problem.........

like everyone say's........1st year Models........ :thumbsup: on the 8th year.. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.