06 YZ450F Does it corner?

10 replies to this topic
  • racerxx276

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:27 AM

I'm thinking of buying a new 06 YZ450. I currently have a 05 suzuki RMZ 450.( which turns on a dime, but I hate the 4 speed tranny) Most of the mag's mention that the Yamaha doesn't corner very well except MXA.

Is this true?? Will I need to go with some RG3 triple clamps to get it to turn?

How does the turning compare to the Suzuki RMZ or the 06 Honda CRF?
thanks!
I know the rest of the bike is awesome...

Don

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:35 AM

I haven't ridden the RMZ, but I've been on several CRF's and one '06 YZ450F. The YZ doesn't really corner very well at all....compared to a roller coaster car. But it's right in there with the CRF, I can tell you that. A lot of the complaints come from the D739 front tire, which is a good choice for road racing, but if the soil is much softer than that, they don't work that well. It has also been said that the bike is quite sensitive to changes in chassis set up, so little changes like rear sag and pulling the forks up apparently do quite a bit for it. A too low bar bend has also been cited as contributing.

The one I rode cornered like a demon, and felt like a more stable version of a CRF to me. It really does feel 20 pounds lighter than mine when it's moving.

• bushman06

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:21 AM

I bought the YZ and rode it last weekend and it was one hell of a machine!

I did raise the front forks one notch as well as changed the tires ($$$) and put a michelin M12 on the front and S12 on the rear. With the suspension set up for my weight (240 lbs), she just ripped through the corners!

My biggest problem right now is keeping the front wheel down when I roll on the gas! I think I am going to change the flywheel to make it a smoother delivery.

I have had the opportunity to ride the '05 RM450 as well as the '06 KX450 and have to say that I am glad I chose blue. Both bikes were great, but I did not like the 4 speed. A couple of times on the straights I was tapped out.

Again it comes down to what you prefer. I had a 05 WR450 before and did not have one problem with the engine. Yamaha have their act together when it comes to 4 strokes.

I knew that when I bought my YZ I would have to drop some $$ to get it where I wanted. That was my choice.

Whatever you choose will not be a bad choice. They are getting closer together all the time.

Good luck on your hunt!

• aford541

Posted February 15, 2006 - 10:13 PM

I'm wondering if any other 06 riders have comments on the way the 06 YZ 450 turns?
I only rode mine three times before getting my knee fixed but I'm curious if anyone has tested either a shorter linkage? or a 22mm triple clamp?
I think the stocker is a 26mm offset. I'm not convinced that there is a problem with how they turn as much as it is a testing problem, I think its interesting that the 06 450s come with stiffer springs front and rear even though they have a lower overall Center of gravity, I know that it has nothing to do with what the spring rate is if the overall weight is the same but I am wondering if the linkage is the same or if the ratio is different? That would explain the higher spring rate.
By the way, I never ran the 739 that it came with I ran the 742 90 wide tire which was the same one that was on my 05.
Has anyone thought of Scaling the bike like a go kart putting the front tire on the scale and the rear tire on a scale, based on the way the 06 looks I think there is much more rear weight distribution than before which again may explain the need for the stiffer rear spring and a possible imbalance in the spring rates.
Incidental Enzo recommended the following springs for my weight and ability level.
05 Front .48 Rear 6.0
06 Front .5 Rear 6.2
Percentage difference 4.2% front 3.3% rear
I'm not 4% fatter I just think they are getting better results with stiffer springs.
If I had a complaint it would be that the bike seemed like it did not want to stay in the rut except under hard braking, which tells me my rear spring is too soft, I still have the 6.0 as it is an RCS titanium spring and im having a hard time parting with it. I don't think RCS makes a 6.2 but I'll check.

• brycee

Posted February 15, 2006 - 10:29 PM

I've only ridden mine twice so far... but I made some changes before I got it out that made big differences....

1. Git rid of the stock front tire and run somethings that's geared for your dirt where you live.

2. Move the forks up to the first mark to help the bike at turn-in.

3. If you feel cramped, get taller bar risers.

I haven't done the last one yet, I felt like the first two made huge differences. Once I got my sag set properly and did the first two things mentioned, I was really impressed with how the bike handled. Intially I felt like it would push into the turns, but that feeling is gone now. It's track great into, through, and exiting the turn a felt. I disagree with the rut comment above... i was really impressed how easily the bike likes to track rut... it doesn't ever have a tendancy to climb out of them or push over the top.

All in all so far, I think it's one of the best all round handling 450's out. I haven't ridden the 06 RMZ, just the 05... but I personally do prefer the yami to the hondas this year.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aford541

Posted February 15, 2006 - 10:47 PM

I've only ridden mine twice so far... but I made some changes before I got it out that made big differences....

1. Git rid of the stock front tire and run somethings that's geared for your dirt where you live.

2. Move the forks up to the first mark to help the bike at turn-in.

3. If you feel cramped, get taller bar risers.

I haven't done the last one yet, I felt like the first two made huge differences. Once I got my sag set properly and did the first two things mentioned, I was really impressed with how the bike handled. Intially I felt like it would push into the turns, but that feeling is gone now. It's track great into, through, and exiting the turn a felt. I disagree with the rut comment above... i was really impressed how easily the bike likes to track rut... it doesn't ever have a tendancy to climb out of them or push over the top.

All in all so far, I think it's one of the best all round handling 450's out. I haven't ridden the 06 RMZ, just the 05... but I personally do prefer the yami to the hondas this year.

I immediately did the following which I forgot to mention above.

1. Raised the fork tubes to the line
2. Gave away the 739 for the 742/90 (instead of 80)
3. Set the sag at 101mm
4. Set tire pressure correctly
5. Added a tall seat foam

One thing I may have overlooked is that the wide tire may be my problem, the 05 seemed to like it but as we know they are way different bikes.
I'll get a 756 and see what happens.

• Private B

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:20 AM

I'm running the Dunlop 756 on the front, raised the forks just a scosh past the first line and set the sag to 98mm. This bike is sweet. What I have really noticed is, the harder you ride it, the better it works.

• DBH

Posted February 16, 2006 - 11:47 AM

I've had mine since early November, and with a 756 up front and raising the fork tubes a bit, it turns excellent. No complaints here at all. The suspension is worth spending the extra money on this bike.

• riderman329

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:25 PM

so when your going with the 756 are you guys getting the 90 or the 80?

and what difference does it make?

• MXKyle

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:37 PM

I have finally gotten my '06 to turn well enough. I have been particularly critical because I have been riding the best handling bike ever built. I'm talking about my YZ125. Every time I hear someone say the new bikes handle like a 125 I have to laugh. Not happening :thumbsup: and as long as a 450 weighs 30 LBS more it never will.

That's not to say that any of the other 450's turn much better. After changing the tire and tweaking the suspension I am quite satisfied that I am not losing in the turns now and I am quite comfortable with it in any conditions. Before the work it worked really well when the dirt was hard or tacky but would push when loose or dry. Sticks pretty good now all the time.

--KT-- '03 YZ450 for sale

• retro450

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:02 AM

After droping the clamps, setting the sag , and replacing the the Fr tire I cannot get the front end to push or slide. I've tried my hardest and it sticks exceptionally well. Now the 756 that I have worn on the back cant even keep up with the front. I'm gonna put a s12 on the rear this week and have all the confidence in the world that I will grinning after that ride.

Yesterday I finally got to ride with our fastest friend who taught me how to haul. Hes raced pro in H.S. and several A class at nats. he rides an 06 250 sx (super light). Well.. He hasnt read anything about the bike like we have and I hadnt told him anything. His first impression was "Man that thing turns good" "yea that thing goes around the turns good" I was like "really?" So I think.. No, I know we have read into this too much and maybe get phsyched out, but U change the tire and lower the clamps you will have to figure how to take a turn that fast. Because it will. NO doubt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.