New guy, couple of questions.

7 replies to this topic
  • ewbish

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:17 AM

Hi,
New here. I've got a 2000 XRL. Live in S. AZ, and the bike is 90% offroad and 10% on. So far, my mods are pretty standard: IMS 4gal tank,WBE2 pipe, opened airbox, desmogged, RSW fork brace, and a 38mm Mikuni Flatside Carb in place of the CV (pos).

I'm still trying to get the carb dialed in-the improvement in throttle response and top end was unreal, but it won't idle down correctly. I let off the throttle and the idle will stay high for several seconds, then slowly come down. I also get some slight popping when deaccelerating. It doesn't seem to be an airleak anywhere, so I'm going to try a richer pilot jet and see how that goes. Any suggestions for dialing this in would be welcome.

My next thing is to do something with those forks. What kind of options are out there? Fork is way to "spongy" and unresponsive for fast running in the desert, especially deep sand. What are the hot setups for this bike? Is there a gold valve drop in, or a recommended place to have it revalved and dialed in for me?

Eric B.

• chicagobikefan

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:07 PM

Try asking your carb question over at the jetting forum; the experts there might be able to steer you in the right direction.

• JackAttack

Posted February 07, 2006 - 08:26 PM

I would suggest waiting for WR450fyamaha to chime in and answer your questions.......

......and then do the exact opposite of what he says.

:thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:01 PM

My mikuni did the same thing but now I have about 150mi. on it and the throttle seems to be better but not perfect. I live at about 50ft.above sea level and I ended up puting the next largest jets in it. I'm running a XRs only full system for an exaust on it. This thing starts right away in the cold now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ewbish

Posted February 08, 2006 - 01:21 PM

Hey thanks for the tips. Gave me some ideas to play with. No suggestions on the forks huh?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 08, 2006 - 07:38 PM

I would suggest waiting for WR450fyamaha to chime in and answer your questions.......

Oh why thank you, its nice to get some well deserved respect round here. on the side of engine power, bore it out and get the valves/ports done if you want more low end/torque, get a cam if you want more high end. Maybe a seat cover? BARS. Cooler looking tail light. I have no clue about suspension, ya got me there. New right mirror that mounts to the bars (so u dont crack the brake fluid reservoir when ya snap the mirror off). The stock headlight lacks....not sure what, but it lacks....might want a cooler one. tires.....

• ghoti

Posted February 09, 2006 - 05:50 AM

Oh why thank you, its nice to get some well deserved respect round here. on the side of engine power, bore it out and get the valves/ports done if you want more low end/torque, get a cam if you want more high end. Maybe a seat cover? BARS. Cooler looking tail light. I have no clue about suspension, ya got me there. New right mirror that mounts to the bars (so u dont crack the brake fluid reservoir when ya snap the mirror off). The stock headlight lacks....not sure what, but it lacks....might want a cooler one. tires.....

Ahhhhh, I am now enlightened.

• Mike Worshum

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:45 AM

Eric,
It sounds like your going in the right directions with your XRL.

I'm still setting mine up too.

However, no one has answered your suspension question eh' so I'll take a stab at it. There are several ways to go, If cost effective, toss 'em in the trash and install an after market fork and triple clamps. WP Suspension http://www.wpsuspension.com/ offers front and rear springs, cartridge fork internals that installs within your existing fork legs, or complete assemblies.

The next best step is to remove them and ship them over to http://www.le-suspension.com/
Jim's been doing on and off road suspensions for years and has the experience to re-valve and spring them for your needs.

The cheapest avenue with efficient results would be Progressive Suspension springs http://www.progressivesuspension.com/ and experiment with oil volumes and viscosity rates.

There's more options such as Ohlins, Works performance but I gave you somewhere to start.

Good luck and...it's only money...you'll always make more

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.