2006 YZ450 Owner's Background Check

7 replies to this topic
  • KillerHiller

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Even though I don't need a new bike, I'm seriously considering an 06 YZ450. The feedback that I have read on this site has me ready to pull the trigger.

I'd really like to know more about the TT members riding this bike. Things like....

Ability level & Size

MX or Woods/ Desert

State

Past and present bikes

What do you really think about the 2006 YZ450?

It may be asking a lot, but could be very valuable info for everyone.

What works for a 19yr. old pro mx'er may not be right for a 50yr. old casual trail rider. The thing is, I get the impression this bike could make almost anyone happy.

For the record, I'm 45, 180lbs/ 6ft, Vet/Sen A Enduro and H.S. rider, Sen A & Vet B MX, race about 4-6 times a year, but ride mostly singletrack in the Colorado Rockies and high desert. Occasional track time for fun. I usually ride 2-3 times a week during the season. My bikes are listed below.

I'm a little impulsive when it comes to new bikes, and like to have two at all times.

Thanks in advance!!

KH :bonk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steve

• Butta

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:52 PM

I'd say go for it....I don't think you'll be disappointed in any way!!

:thumbsup:

• KillerHiller

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:16 PM

Hey Butta,

I saw in another post that you got a leg up on a KXF450.

It sounded like you thought the Kawi turned better and had smoother low end.

Regarding the turning, was it because of bike setup, or is the Kawi just quicker handling.

Any other pros/cons between the two? Thanks.

• yamahaboy99

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:29 PM

Ability level 2 years in 125/250B with plans to go to A this year.

MX or Woods MX

Age 16

State Ohio

Past and present bikes
2001 YZ90
2001 YZ250F
2001 YZ426F
2004 YZ250F
2006 YZ450F

What do you really think about the 2006 YZ450?
Right off the show room floor the bike didn't have a front end push like everyone says. My dealer installed a D756 for us so I never got to ride on that stock POS tire. After setting the sag and sliding the forks up in the clamps the bike wants to carve, which is something I am not used to. The jetting was a little off because it was popping on deceleration. Throttle response is impressive and the power is definetly usable. I rode an 03 450 and that thing was just rediculous. This bike has a softer powerband but there is still a ton of torque. If I were to close my eyes and lay the bike over and pick it back up I could swear it was a 125. I didnt like the stock bar bend so I replaced with Renthal fatbar in Charmichael bend. I havnt been able to break the suspension in because of Ohio's crappy weather, but so far im really pleased. I feel this suspension is better then my worked 250f forks. I cannot wait until this weather gets nice so I can really put this bike through its paces. I would like to thank my dealer for being so supportive and putting up with my constant phone calls asking if its here yet..lol.

This bike was definetly worth the 7 months I waited!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:37 PM

Hey Butta,

I saw in another post that you got a leg up on a KXF450.

It sounded like you thought the Kawi turned better and had smoother low end.

Regarding the turning, was it because of bike setup, or is the Kawi just quicker handling.

Any other pros/cons between the two? Thanks.

Yeah, I had a couple laps on one. It's kinda hard to be certain, seeing as how I've got 30 hours on my front 756, and the Kawi comes with a 742 front that was pretty fresh, but it did seem to turn a little easier than my '05. The motor was very smooth, not just in the power delivery but in the feel of the motor. On my YZ I can tell just how hard it's pushing by the rumble through the bike, but the Kawi had no such feel. I think it's deceptive, and I'd love to put a tach on the two and compare them because I think you're probably turning higher RPM's than you realize on the Kawi because you can't feel the rumble. All in all, though, the bike was comfortable. The front end was typical Kawasaki, and the tank/radiator/steering head area felt a little lower but wider.

I think they've got a good package together, but I'm so used to my YZ (i.e. nearly bulletproof and great acceleration) that I'd be hard pressed to stray from blue (unless it's a yellow LE.....)

:thumbsup:

• mtrdrms

Posted February 07, 2006 - 03:11 PM

Im 25, 185 lbs, novice MX and novice HS Enduro rider. Dont compete much tho.
This is my second bike, I had an 03 250F.

This bike is absolutely amazing. It feels extremely light in the air. There is little engine braking and the suspension is just as good as my Factory Connection on my 250. The power is very useable (I recommend the Boyesen APC.) and the tranny is spot on. I put a 51 tooth rear on it for the woods but I quickly got used to the bike and the power and now want to go back to the 49. I cant stress how easy this bike is to ride. The power is deceptive and smooth as silk. I can ride all day in the rocks and not get tired. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to this machine, you will be so glad you did.

• RAMARION

Posted February 07, 2006 - 05:42 PM

Steve, I'll do just cause this bike is deserving of it...........

46, 5'10", 216#, Vet-Intermediate, Race MX 2x month, only ride tracks. I ride this bike STOCK. It's set up perfectly for me.

Previous rides, (10 models in the 70's) 92 KTM 300, 99 YZ400, 02 YZ 250F, 03 YZ450F, 05 CRF450, 2006 YZ250F (also) then the.............................. :thumbsup: 2006 YZ 450F.

This Bike is NOT A YAMAHA!!!!!!!!!!! It's Blue, says YZ but's it's not a YAMAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It TURNS, NO Top heavy feeling....

IMO, can't go wrong with any 06 450's

• KillerHiller

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Ramarion, and everyone else above,

Thanks for the feedback!!!

I'm working on getting one as we speak.

My KTM is hitting the chopping block as well. Both smokers are excellent bikes, but I'll keep the Blue one. Plus, the 300 pumpkin has more value to absorb the cost of the 06.

After all the hype from MXA, which I usually agree with, it's good to back it up with some real world TT testing feedback.

Thanks again!

KH
Steve :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.