2003 YZF450 Suspension suggestions

7 replies to this topic
  • gardnpa185

Posted February 06, 2006 - 05:25 PM

I am switching over from 2-strokes to an '03 YZF450. What suspension mods would you suggest? I am a reasonably fast Vet rider who weighs 200lbs.

The last time I rode the bike the rear suspension felt pretty good, but the forks were harsh. The handle bars were almost ripped out of my hands on braking bumps.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Paul 185

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:44 PM

First get the correct spring rates installed front and rear for your weight. After that get the forks and shock revalved to your specs. Be sure to work with the suspension shop and tell them what you want, what you dont like.

Personally did all that on my 450 for my buddy, then swapped out a set of 05 front forks on the bike. That is the ticket!

• PK

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Matt, what did you have to change to get the 05 forks on the 03? I would like to put a set of twin chambered Showa's on mine but I'm not sure if that's possible at a reasonable price. That is the main complaint I have with my 03, even after all the valving and spring work, it still sucks compared to my Honda's.

• DPW

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:53 PM

Matt, what did you have to change to get the 05 forks on the 03?

I would think all you need is the upper and lower triple clamps from a '04 or '05, but that is just a guess.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450_rider

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:50 PM

A little while ago grayracer was talking about how he put 04 forks on his 03, it was pretty interesting to read. I really thought about doing it, maby he will pipe in on this

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:48 PM

I would think all you need is the upper and lower triple clamps from a '04 or '05, but that is just a guess.

Right you are. :thumbsup:

• Gizabious

Posted February 07, 2006 - 12:06 AM

I am switching over from 2-strokes to an '03 YZF450. What suspension mods would you suggest? I am a reasonably fast Vet rider who weighs 200lbs.

The last time I rode the bike the rear suspension felt pretty good, but the forks were harsh. The handle bars were almost ripped out of my hands on braking bumps.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Paul 185

Try raising the fork oil height to between 110mm and 100mm makes a huge improvement, I'm about the same weight as you and found i could run the stock fork springs at 105mm of oil with no problems. 5.6 spring on the back should work well for your weight and ability

• Ga426owner

Posted February 07, 2006 - 05:36 AM

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Paul 185

I had the same problem.....sent the fork and shock to Enzo Racing....now it is perfect - with Subtanks :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.