XR 650R Carburetor

6 replies to this topic
  • kirktm

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I just brought my bike into the repair shop and they broke off a screw in the carburetor. They said they don't want to take the chance on ruining anything else so the said to shop for a used carburetor just in case when they try to drill it out they have a back up carb. Anybody out there ever have this happen and what was the fix?

• TimBrp

Posted February 06, 2006 - 01:04 PM

Bring it to another shop.

• snaggleXR650

Posted February 06, 2006 - 01:40 PM

I would tell him that HE better shop for a new job and a new car, just in case both disappeared on him if he didn't make it right.

Get your bike back immediately, and take a HUGE discount on the services they rendered. With a little patience you can get the broken screw out. If not let me know, I'll sell you my stock 650R carb for very cheap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike Worshum

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:21 PM

Kirk,
Tell em' thanks but no thanks....they or you can take it to any competent machinist and have it removed for a minimal fee. I can't even guess how many broken taps and bolts I've removed over the years.

If they haven't fooled with it (hopefully) a machinist can indicate/locate the center of the screw on a milling machine and center drill it>drill it out>clean up the threads> and your good to go.

The worst case is that it will need a helicoil inserted...no big deal.

If no luck...mail it to me.

• Graves

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Mechanics that know what they are doing and that are professional enough to pay for their mistakes. They broke it, tell them to figure it out.

...what was the fix?

• frankstr

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:29 PM

They broke it, They fix it....Thats how any good shop should operate on somethin like that...TMHO.... :thumbsup:

• nastcat

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:01 PM

Kirk,
Tell em' thanks but no thanks....they or you can take it to any competent machinist and have it removed for a minimal fee. I can't even guess how many broken taps and bolts I've removed over the years.

If they haven't fooled with it (hopefully) a machinist can indicate/locate the center of the screw on a milling machine and center drill it>drill it out>clean up the threads> and your good to go.

The worst case is that it will need a helicoil inserted...no big deal.

If no luck...mail it to me.

EXACTLY!! This should have been done without them even mentioning it to you.
I also feel it is their responsibility to have it removed, they broke it. Unless there was some understanding between you and the shop before the removal was attempted.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.