Yz 426 arenacross

11 replies to this topic
  • darksun27

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:54 AM

This aucutally is my 2nd race EVER. I am 16 and riding a 2002 yz 426 racing in the 250 beginner. My first race i took 1st place my first time lol but it considerably wore out my forearms and i got dehydrated out on the track. I am wondering if theres anything to help keep these factors under controll. Also is there any thing i can do to help set my bike up for the tight arenacross track (right now its set up for woods) also is there anything i can do at home to practice for the conditions out on the track?

• 642MX

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:59 AM

I bet your arms got tired and you got thirsty because of nerves. Arenacross and 426's don't mix well. If I race an arenacross, I ride my fiancees 250F. Which track did you race at?

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:10 AM

Sounds kind of like driving a crew cab in a parking lot slalom. :thumbsup:

Physical conditioning, dude. Upper body workouts and a good bicycle.

• darksun27

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:57 AM

I raced at lousiville, Ky on Janurary 29. I wish i had the chance to borrow my wifes bike but im a lil to young to get married lol and none of my other friends ride bikes. Thanks though, if it ever warms back up ill take the bicycle out for a spin. back in the summer i would ride around 6 miles a afternoon so my legs dont get wore out all that bad.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:13 PM

It's all about physical conditioning and bike setup no matter what you ride. I've seen some +30 Vets dominate serveral local Fair MX races with 426's/450's on tracks that are much tighter than arenacross.

Congrats on your Win!

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:32 PM

6 miles will help, but I didn't suggest the bike as a way to simply build your leg strength. I said that because it will help with your aerobic conditioning, and your ability to manage fluid and energy reserves. In short, you'll be able to go harder, longer, but only if you train for it. You should be riding at least 15-20 miles 3 times a week to get that kind of benefit from the bike. If you can pick out a reasonably flat route, you should be able to do 20 miles in an hour and 15 minutes, not counting traffic lights. Slower than that, and you aren't working hard enough. During your ride, you should have enough wind to talk fairly easily, but not sing. BTW, riding a bike at 21 mph on flat ground with no wind burns 1000 calories an hour....

This is for a road bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:35 PM

I raced at lousiville, Ky on Janurary 29. I wish i had the chance to borrow my wifes bike but im a lil to young to get married lol and none of my other friends ride bikes. Thanks though, if it ever warms back up ill take the bicycle out for a spin. back in the summer i would ride around 6 miles a afternoon so my legs dont get wore out all that bad.

I was going to go and watch the Louisville round, but I was sick that weekend. My knees are pretty beat up so I can't run anymore, but I can use an elliptical trainer. It will give you a good workout, and free weights are also good exercise.

As far as bike set up goes, buy some new tires. New tires will really help when it gets slick indoors. A set of Dunlop 756RR's will last for a few indoor races and offer the best traction in those conditions.

Ralph, how about a workout this weekend? We can pump some aluminum at my house. :thumbsup:

• darksun27

Posted February 06, 2006 - 03:20 PM

6 miles will help, but I didn't suggest the bike as a way to simply build your leg strength. I said that because it will help with your aerobic conditioning, and your ability to manage fluid and energy reserves. In short, you'll be able to go harder, longer, but only if you train for it. You should be riding at least 15-20 miles 3 times a week to get that kind of benefit from the bike. If you can pick out a reasonably flat route, you should be able to do 20 miles in an hour and 15 minutes, not counting traffic lights. Slower than that, and you aren't working hard enough. During your ride, you should have enough wind to talk fairly easily, but not sing. BTW, riding a bike at 21 mph on flat ground with no wind burns 1000 calories an hour....

This is for a road bike.

ok thanks for all the good info

• crashyz426

Posted February 08, 2006 - 07:24 PM

riding on the street is boring, I go with the mountain bike for about an hour 3-5 times a week. last fall I bought a new bike an dropped about 20lbs in 6 weeks. I was only riding 6-10 miles at a time, much slower than the guys in spandex. it does wonders for your abilities on a dirt bike. I love 2 wheels

• darksun27

Posted February 08, 2006 - 07:32 PM

riding on the street is boring, I go with the mountain bike for about an hour 3-5 times a week. last fall I bought a new bike an dropped about 20lbs in 6 weeks. I was only riding 6-10 miles at a time, much slower than the guys in spandex. it does wonders for your abilities on a dirt bike. I love 2 wheels

hey are you going to race at the nashville arenacross the weekend after next? (feb 17, 18, 19) Ohh yeah heres a pic of my first trophy and what a first trophy it was.

Posted Image

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Congrats on your win! If you lift weights don't go heavy, moderate weight 15-20 reps x3 sets, doing curls and pulling movements. Additionally when you do these motions don't grip with your index finger. It will help reduce arm pump after a few weeks.

• darksun27

Posted February 09, 2006 - 09:59 AM

thanks. i am thinking about selling my 1982 yz 125, 2003 ttr 150, and restored 1989 rmx 250 and either buying a good used crf 250 (cause i cant afford any other af bikes) for track racing and use my 426 for trail riding or selling those bikes and maybe using my 426 for motocross and buying a used ktm 300ecx with lights to use at trail riding. or selling my yz 426, yz 125, ttr 125 and buying a newer yz/crf 450 for racing and keeping the rmx for tail riding. ohhh me so many options!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.