comfortable seat...

12 replies to this topic
  • LJ

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:50 AM

I have a '99 yz 400 pretty much set up for trail riding. I've installed a rekluse, and all the crash protection I can by. I love the bike for both trails and natural terrain motocross tracks.

I went riding with a buddy last weekend who just bought a '94 kdx 200 with a CEET seat. I took it for a spin and man was the seat comfortable! It was a sofa compared to my brick for a seat.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a softer seat for my yz? I usually stand up when I ride (it is the best for control), but it would be nice to sit on something more comfortable when I do sit. I'm looking for a complete seat, not a foam and cover kit.

Thanks,
LJ.

• 642MX

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:08 AM

KDX's have one of the plushest seats of all the trail bikes, I had a 94 model.

I took my YZF seat to a local trim shop and had them make my seat taller and put in softer foam. It cost me $70, but it was worth it. I don't think anybody makes a complete seat with as soft foam as my customized seat. A guy I know has a SDG seat and its as hard as a brick.

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:05 PM

KDX's have one of the plushest seats of all the trail bikes, I had a 94 model.

I took my YZF seat to a local trim shop and had them make my seat taller and put in softer foam. It cost me $70, but it was worth it. I don't think anybody makes a complete seat with as soft foam as my customized seat. A guy I know has a SDG seat and its as hard as a brick.

I bought the CEET version of the taller seat and its harder than stock.

You gotta do a Guts racing foam swap by yourself or take it to a shop to fix up. Buying off the shelf won't be any more comfortable.

• LJ

Posted February 06, 2006 - 04:30 PM

Thanks guys!

• steve lemley

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:04 PM

I agree, I have a ceet seat on my wr with a YZ seat conversion to a big tank and my tail bone hurts for a week after a 100 mile ride or so. They are rock hard!!! Dont get one for comfort you will be disappointed.

• LJ

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I checked out the guts racing website and I like the competion seat cover with the soft foam combo.

Next question: what's the best way to go about getting the seat upholstered? I checked out the harbor freight website (http://www.harborfre...temnumber=42332) and they have an air stapler for $24.99 on sale that looks like it might do the job shooting staples into the plastic base. If any of you guys (or gals) have upholstered your own seat, do you have any hints or tricks to doing a good job?

Thanks,
LJ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BC61

Posted February 09, 2006 - 05:05 PM

a regular staple gun works fine

• theclone

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I'd get an electric staple gun if I were you. A regular one will work, but an electric one will work a lot better

• LJ

Posted February 21, 2006 - 02:40 PM

Update: Got the Guts racing soft seat (regular height), competition cover, and the harbor frieght air stapler.

Went together fine, looks real good.

Things I would do different:

1) The staple gun is awsome, but the staples are only .25" wide, I think a .375" wide staple would be better since it would have more "holding area". I used lots of staples, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

2) I had a problem with the staples shooting to far into the seat base and tearing through the seat fabric. Next time I'll turn the pressure down on my air compressor, maybe to 50 psi and try it again (it was at around 110 psi). I'm sure a nicer staple gun would would have a depth control. Heck for $25, I think it's a good deal. From hear on out I am never going to have a crappy seat cover!

3) The guts racing instructions are very simple and good. I was able to instal it without any wrinkles, however be carefull to center the seat cover on the seat. I goofed at first (my 5 week old baby boy was probably crying and distracted me...I guess the garage was a little too cold for him, sorry Jason bud), but was able to re do it.

• rooster wrooster

Posted February 22, 2006 - 05:45 AM

So how does it feel compared to the stocker?

• LJ

Posted February 22, 2006 - 08:29 AM

I haven't gotten a chance to go out and ride yet, hopefully this friday during lunch at work if everything goes well.

Just sitting on it in the garage, if is noticably softer, but the foam hasn't broken in yet, so the jury is still out. I know it's not going to be as cushy as my friends kdx, but it should be an improvement.

Just another note on the Guts Racing seat. The stenciled Yamaha on the sides of cover (which it isn't on the website). I wish they didn't because it's going to rub off part way in no time and will look kind of crappy.

• rooster wrooster

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:14 PM

I'm going to try almost the same thing you did, just a little different. I'm going to experiment a little with the foams (I'm thinking, more is better) and probably end up with a pretty tall seat. I don't think any of the standard covers will wrap over all the foam I'm going to have. I'm probably going to have to find some place that sells seat covers by the square yard.

• LJ

Posted February 24, 2006 - 01:40 PM

Just got back from my lunch time motocross/trial ride (yeah, I know, live is a b*tch), and I can't say that the new seat is a huge improvement. It's a little bit cushier, but I think rooster is right, you need to add a bunch of foam to make it like a couch.

I guess I'll just keep standing...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.