comfortable seats?

21 replies to this topic
  • LJ

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:48 AM

I have a '99 yz 400 pretty much set up for trail riding. I've installed a rekluse, and all the crash protection I can by. I love the bike for both trails and natural terrain motocross tracks.

I went riding with a buddy last weekend who just bought a '94 kdx 200 with a CEET seat. I took it for a spin and man was the seat comfortable! It was a sofa compared to my brick for a seat.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a softer seat for my yz? I usually stand up when I ride (it the best for control), but it would be nice to sit on something more comfortable when I do sit. I'm looking for a complete seat, not a foam and cover kit.

Thanks,
LJ.

• drewpeacock

Posted February 06, 2006 - 04:36 PM

SDG Tall seat is very comfy. :thumbsup:

• moach1

Posted February 06, 2006 - 05:42 PM

guts racing seats are pretty comfy

• Seabass

Posted February 06, 2006 - 05:44 PM

I went with the GUTS Racing seat. It's well worth the $$$$$$$.

• baha

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:59 PM

GUTS soft--no more red azz

• ETP

Posted February 07, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Another vote here for Guts.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 07, 2006 - 01:50 PM

GUTS Tall Soft with Gripper Cover :thumbsup:

You don't have to go tall but if your over 6' you'll like it :thumbsup:

• tom00013

Posted February 07, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Anyone have a source for the Gutz seat foam/covers???
Thanks-Tom

• Yama4Stroker

Posted February 08, 2006 - 12:25 PM

I just sold my 99 yz 400 and bought a 02 wr426. The seat is way more comfortable than the yz. You can't get up on the tank when your riding, but it could be another option to switch to a wr tank and seat combo, if trails are the majority of riding.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 08, 2006 - 03:41 PM

Anyone have a source for the Gutz seat foam/covers???
Thanks-Tom

http://www.gutsracin...es/aboutus.html

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LJ

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the response!

I checked out the guts racing website and I like the competion seat cover with the soft foam combo.

Next question: what's the best way to go about getting the seat upholstered? I checked out the harbor freight website (http://www.harborfre...temnumber=42332) and they have an air stapler for $24.99 on sale that looks like it might do the job shooting staples into the plastic base. If any of you guys (or gals) have upholstered your own seat, do you have any hints or tricks to doing a good job?

Thanks,
LJ.

• genesis

Posted February 10, 2006 - 08:03 AM

I'd like to hear the anwser to this also.
I just ordered my GUTS seat cover and foam.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 10, 2006 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the response!

I checked out the guts racing website and I like the competion seat cover with the soft foam combo.

Next question: what's the best way to go about getting the seat upholstered? I checked out the harbor freight website (http://www.harborfre...temnumber=42332) and they have an air stapler for $24.99 on sale that looks like it might do the job shooting staples into the plastic base. If any of you guys (or gals) have upholstered your own seat, do you have any hints or tricks to doing a good job?

Thanks,
LJ.

I have used, (3 times now), just a heavy duty T-50 I think, stapler off the shelf from home depot with 1/4" staples. If you use too long of staples you run the risk of poking through on the sides :thumbsup:

After I have the staples in I go around and "roll" them in further with a pair of diagnol cutters, just using the outside of the cutter's head.

However I think the air stapler would work better but again be careful not to poke through on the sides!!!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

• hankdog

Posted February 10, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Next question: what's the best way to go about getting the seat upholstered?

You might be able to take everything to a local custom upholstry shop and have them do the job for minimal cost. Look for a guy that does custom hot rod upholstry, custom auto trim, custom motorcycle seats, etc...there are a surprising number of these guys around and they usually do good work. I've had a couple of motorcycle seats reworked by a local guy, and he's done great work at very reasonable prices. :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 10, 2006 - 10:37 AM

You might be able to take everything to a local custom upholstry shop and have them do the job for minimal cost. Look for a guy that does custom hot rod upholstry, custom auto trim, custom motorcycle seats, etc...there are a surprising number of these guys around and they usually do good work. I've had a couple of motorcycle seats reworked by a local guy, and he's done great work at very reasonable prices. :thumbsup:

This is true, it's probably a slam dunk for someone who knows what theyre doing, probably take em' all of 10 minutes to do it :thumbsup:

• LJ

Posted February 21, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Update: Got the Guts racing soft seat (regular height), competition cover, and the harbor frieght air stapler.

Went together fine, looks real good.

Things I would do different:

1) The staple gun is awsome, but the staples are only .25" wide, I think a .375" wide staple would be better since it would have more "holding area". I used lots of staples, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

2) I had a problem with the staples shooting to far into the seat base and tearing through the seat fabric. Next time I'll turn the pressure down on my air compressor, maybe to 50 psi and try it again (it was at around 110 psi). I'm sure a nicer staple gun would would have a depth control. Heck for $25, I think it's a good deal. From hear on out I am never going to have a crappy seat cover!

3) The guts racing instructions are very simple and good. I was able to instal it without any wrinkles, however be carefull to center the seat cover on the seat. I goofed at first (my 5 week old baby boy was probably crying and distracted me...I guess the garage was a little too cold for him, sorry Jason bud), but was able to re do it.

• shocked

Posted February 21, 2006 - 03:48 PM

I talked to GUTS, they said if you ship them your seat - they will install the foam & cover at no extra charge.

• steve lemley

Posted February 21, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I have a ceet yz seat on my wr 400 ans I hate it, monkey butt for days. its a freaking rock. Dont buy one you will hate it. My tailbone literaly hurts after every ride for at least two days and i ride with a saddle even. buy a guts racing soft seat. Thats the way to go...Cheers..

• WR450F_RDR

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:44 PM

I have a different take on Guts seats. I bought one for my WR and have found that I am more comfortable riding long trips on my YZ with the stock seat than with the Guts seat with soft foam. Nothing against Guts, I will most likly replace the seat with another one but plan to go back to a harder foam or stock foam next time. I have heard from some people on here that a softer seat can actually make you more sore after a long ride than a hard seat???

• dbailey223

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:59 PM

The softer seat has been great for me, not the reverse. Oh man, if I knew guys would install the sucker I would do that in a heart beat.

I used a regular staple gun and tried to match the staples to the stock WR staples. My staple gun (full size, etc.) was not powerful enough to get the staples into the plastic. It would get em about 1/2 way. Then, I would smack them in with a hammer where I could. The tricky part is where there was contour or something in the plastic and I could not get the staple gun flush with the area where I wanted the staple.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.