Decomp lever blues

4 replies to this topic
  • kizzle426

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:17 AM

So I was hosing my bike off after some serious singletracking yesterday, and I started my bike up to ride it over to the truck after I was done. I started it then got off to turn the water off. I walked over to my bike, grabbed it, then I slipped and started to drop the bike. I grabbed for the left part of the bars and smashed down on the demp lever (accidentally) and it killed the bike in the most nasty sounding way. What kind of damage can this do? Should I be worried about it? It started right up after and ran fine. Thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:07 AM

If you hit the decomp lever at high speed, there is the potential that the right exhaust tappet could get broken, which could end up being catastrophic. This one event will most likely not have hurt it, but you shouldn't use the decomp lever as a kill switch either. That doesn't mean you can't use it to bump start the bike, though. Much lower engine speeds are involved there.

The noise you heard was due to the increased valve clearance caused by lifting the right exhaust valve off its seat. The danger to the tappet at high rpm comes from the tilting force that the valve spring applies to the tappet when it encounters the decomp shaft on one edge as it closes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Before I had an auto decompression cam I had a few incidents like you described kizzle, don't be worried I'm sure everything is fine.

• kizzle426

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Thanks. It was low rpm so I think it'll be okay. It didn't sound like it crapped a valve out or anything.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:29 PM

Do yourself a favor- rip the lever off, buy an 03 YZ 450 cam, install it, and thank us later! If you are considering doing the cam mod, let me know because I have an extra decomp plug if you need one.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.