Spark Plug Removal

5 replies to this topic
  • nurooi

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:20 AM

Hi All,

A newbie here. Previously I owned a Honda and had no issue getting to the spark Plug. Subsequently, upgraded to a Wr450 and am battling to get to the spark plug (took the seat and tank off to get to it). I read through the manual and did not find a "simple" method to get to the plug. My question is: do I have to tank the tank off to get to the spark plug or is there an easier method.

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

• treecop

Posted February 06, 2006 - 01:14 AM

As far as I know, there is no "easy" way to get to the spark plug. I personally only change them three times a year when I am going through my bike doing maintenance. It is definitely different than a old XR, but I like my WR sooooo much better.

• Matty05

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:32 AM

Yes you have to take the seat and tank off the bike to get the spark plug out.
No big deal, just 6 bolts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nurooi

Posted February 06, 2006 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the confirmation,

I am guessing that I do not have to remove the fuel hose line etc. This is a real pain when trying to check how the changes I make impact the spark plug. I used to determine how rich or lean the bike was running from the spark plug on my Honda.

How do you do it for the Yamaha if you have to continually take off the seat and tank.

• Matty05

Posted February 06, 2006 - 03:39 AM

When I check the plug, I just have the tank sitting on the bike with no bolts.
It won't move unless you stack it! Just keep the two seat bolts in.

Yes, remove the fuel line from the carby, it is easier to do. It is hard to get off at first, just use a fingernail to help pull the end up.

I only really do this when I think my jetting is nailed, and you should use a new plug every time for best results.

• Joe_dirtbiker

Posted February 07, 2006 - 12:33 PM

when it's lean I hear the coolant boil when I stop. When it's rich the exhaust pipe is filled with black soot that rubs off onto my finger.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.