The best Pipe for the xr650r

21 replies to this topic
  • TeaOneAndOnly

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:34 PM

I am about to buy a full exhaust system and was wondering what the best pipe is for the bike and the money. I was looking at the t-4 but seems really over priced. What do you guys think?

• snaggleXR650

Posted February 06, 2006 - 05:24 AM

I've been wondering this myself. The 650R doesn't get near the attention that the CRF's get nowadays. There are some options for full systems, FMF, Pro Circuit, Akrapovic, Staintune, XR's Only and maybe Moriwaki, Yoshimura, and Arrow. The Big Gun is carbon steel and rusts through the ceramic coating quickly, and falls apart easily, stick with stainless for sure and stay away from the BIG GUN. Most will run you $6-700.

From what I've gathered the FMF is of lesser quality, but is the best option for a quieter system when using the Q or Q2 ~94db.

The Akrapovic (A-Crap-O-Vich) has never had a bad work said about it, spare the price. Top notch quality and fitment. Reasonable sound level ~98db and excellent all around power. This is my personal favorite system. Best price I've found is here; http://www.morepower...History~cat.asp

Back in the old days, when the 650R first came out there was a slip-on pipe shootout. They all struggled to best the stock with the HRC tip, however, the overall winner would have been the White Bros. E-series. WB used to have headers for the 650R but it appears they have dropped them from there lineup. WB's new E2 pipe may be of interest also. It's worth mentioning that any pipe should work with another company's head pipe if they emulate the stock header.

I would like to see some more info on this subject myself, but I just don't think it's out there. Everybody simply likes what they bought the best. It's nearly impossible to get unbiased information.

• HondaRules

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:53 AM

I've got a WB E-Series Muffler, it's brand new...I'll sell it for $165 shipped to your door. I bought it thinking it might fit my 600 not knowing that only the XR650L is interchangeable with the 600R :thumbsup: That'll teach me to not research more :thumbsup: I beleive WB does make a header for the 650R still, just not for the 600/650L. Check out the TT store or ask Bryan, he seems to be on top of this stuff :thumbsup:hmmm, just looked at the WB catalogue here on TT and it looks like the header is only built for the CRF450 and XR400 http://shop.thumpert...lt.asp?p=57&s=2

• BIGGITY

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:04 AM

I've got a WB E-Series Muffler, it's brand new...I'll sell it for $165 shipped to your door. I bought it thinking it might fit my 600 not knowing that only the XR650L is interchangeable with the 600R :thumbsup: That'll teach me to not research more :thumbsup: I beleive WB does make a header for the 650R still, just not for the 600/650L. Check out the TT store or ask Bryan, he seems to be on top of this stuff :thumbsup:hmmm, just looked at the WB catalogue here on TT and it looks like the header is only built for the CRF450 and XR400 http://shop.thumpert...lt.asp?p=57&s=2

HondaRules: I PM'd you about the pipe....

• HawkGT

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:27 AM

I'd like to have a full system--but is there one that emphisizes the bottom end and midrange? I'm not willing to go full system if it's gonna take from the bottom to give to the top.

BTW, I had a Moriwaki full system on a 98' CBR900RR. The build quality and attention to detail blew me away! Absolutely the best. If Moriwaki built a bottom-end/midrange system I'd be all over it.

• brian jacquemin

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:10 AM

check out Rob Barnums exhaust systems for your xr 650. He has a pretty trick design where the headers wrap around the cylinder head. It will protect your header from any damage from rocks being flung up by the front wheel and also the airflow is equal since the headers are equal in lenght. Call Rob or Denise and they will help you out with getting your xr dialed in. 760-868-8097

• Mikie1

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:06 AM

A buddy of mine has a brand new Barnum full exhaust he'll sell for $400 + shipping. PM me for details. I used one on my 680 with great results.

Mike

• DelTronXR

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:56 PM

I've responded to similar questions in the past. Consider the fact that the Hengeveld/Campbell team that has won the past 6 Baja 1000's overall or in their particular class runs the T-4. It probably is the best setup for your bike. I've got it on mine, and yes it is loud, but does my bike rip??? YES :thumbsup: But don't think it's in the pipe alone.

• Mikie1

Posted February 07, 2006 - 08:14 PM

The pipe the Honda Team bikes use is NOT a T4. The can looks like it, but it's really a reverse megaphone that Pro Circuit doesn't sell to the public. XR's only is supposed to be a really close copy of it, and the ProCircuit header that's available to the public looks very similar, but there are differences. Rumor has it that the factory pipe is responsible for around 3-5 hp more than the T4. That sounds like a lot, so maybe it's not true, but there must be something to it since they don't sell it to the public.

I'm now using a White Brothers e-series pro-meg silencer with an FMF power bomb. This combo makes incredible power with my 680, running no end cap for baja/ desert only. Even makes good power (though quite a bit softer) with 12 disks and the end cap in for the forest. Haven't been sound tested yet, but seems quieter than the stock pipe with the HRC tip. Kind of a funny "whoosh" sound, instead of the deep "thump-thump-thump" sound with the open end cap, which even that doesn't seem all that much louder than the stock pipe with the HRC tip.

Oh, the pro-meg silencer with the end cap and 12 disks is only one pound lighter than the stocker.

• Modsport02

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:56 PM

The pipe the Honda Team bikes use is NOT a T4. The can looks like it, but it's really a reverse megaphone that Pro Circuit doesn't sell to the public. XR's only is supposed to be a really close copy of it, and the ProCircuit header that's available to the public looks very similar, but there are differences. Rumor has it that the factory pipe is responsible for around 3-5 hp more than the T4. That sounds like a lot, so maybe it's not true, but there must be something to it since they don't sell it to the public.

Umm that 3-5hp less than stock for the pro-circuit pipe is completly false, I know that baldwin racing and many other desert racers use the T4, theyll tell you they wouldnt use any other pipe on there bikes. I also personaly have a full PC system on mine and the gains were awsome, also the quality and fit of the pipe is perfect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maddox101

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:16 PM

I have the complete T-4 exhaust and love it. It'll burn you pant leg every ride! Just use header wrap on the pipe. But seriously it is a great pipe with some great HP gains. They are a bit pricey but worth it.

• goblin127

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:05 AM

I'm now using a White Brothers e-series pro-meg silencer with an FMF power bomb. This combo makes incredible power with my 680, running no end cap for baja/ desert only. Even makes good power (though quite a bit softer) with 12 disks and the end cap in for the forest. Haven't been sound tested yet, but seems quieter than the stock pipe with the HRC tip. Kind of a funny "whoosh" sound, instead of the deep "thump-thump-thump" sound with the open end cap, which even that doesn't seem all that much louder than the stock pipe with the HRC tip.

Oh, the pro-meg silencer with the end cap and 12 disks is only one pound lighter than the stocker.

So the best pipe is the XRs only?

• Mikie1

Posted February 08, 2006 - 10:27 AM

So the best pipe is the XRs only?

I couldn't say-- I haven't tried it. The guy that helped me build my motor has the full T4 system- quality is awesome, very pricey, but he doesn't think it puts out as much power as the Team Honda version. He has the XRs Only header on his pre-run bike, but the quality sucks- he had to have it welded up within just a few rides after he got it. I don't know if he ever had the XR's only rear section on, but if he did, it must've fallen apart-- he doesn't have it now. He has a regular (older version) T4 rear section behind the welded-up XR's only header.

Don't know about the 3-5 hp claim for the Team Honda version, but some well-funded guys we were camped next to at the last two Baja's were using one on their race bike- they said the power output difference was "very noticeable" over the T4 system available to the public. They were secretive about how they got ahold of it.

• trailsurfer

Posted February 09, 2006 - 03:02 PM

Mikie1,

Did you ever get the Thunder Alley exhaust for your XR650R?

• Mikie1

Posted February 09, 2006 - 03:22 PM

No, I ended up with the Barnum's exhaust instead. I'm pretty happy with my current setup, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with the Thunder Alley.

• hodakaharold

Posted September 26, 2015 - 07:20 PM

After watching Dust to Glory for the 100th time, I still love the sound of the Honda factory XR650R exhaust. I have the power bomb header with the FMF powercore 4, anyone have any opinions about the current XR's only exhaust and the T4 system?  I am looking to make a change just for the sound,,,really don't care about getting any additional horses from my XR.

• eastreich

Posted September 28, 2015 - 09:54 AM

You can't get the factory version of the T4 for the XR anymore, or really, unless you were "special" you couldn't get it regardless even when it was new.  The regular T4 that you can buy off the shelf has a smaller core than the factory version that was run on the 650R at the time and thus does not quite sound the same as the megaphone/large core factory T4 that the Honda team bikes ran on the 650R.

The XR's Only regular megaphone exhaust sounds good.  Deeper pitch than most other stuff out there.  Not nearly as loud as the Race Team system.

The XR's Only Race Team version (full system) has a much larger megaphone and core than the standard XR's Only slip on.  It will also only work with the corresponding head pipe as it is also larger.  I have this pipe on my XR, but I only use it sparingly.  Yes, it sounds incredible, the power gains (especially on the top end) are great, but it is also incredibly loud, even when you put the spark arrestor screen in it.  Frankly, it really is just too loud and if push came to shove I would go back in time and get the regular, smaller megaphone, slip on XR's Only exhaust.

I have not seen nor know of anyone that has used the Steel Round Ceramic Black XR's Only slip on that works with the stock (or your Powerbomb) head pipe.

• hodakaharold

Posted September 28, 2015 - 11:33 AM

That steel round ceramic black XR's only slip on looked cool but I wonder how it would hold up.  I had a Supertrapp on my old XR600R and it had a great sound but I went the cheap route after buying the power bomb header. (out of funds that the wife didn't know about)

Edited by hodakaharold, September 28, 2015 - 11:34 AM.

• EZEETR

Posted November 11, 2015 - 12:30 PM

Has anyone ran Bills Pipes on their xr650r, they always had great quality and for the price under 500$ would be tough to beat. Going back and forth between trying it and the xr's only, out of curiosity how much does the thunder alley generally run I can't find pricing anywhere.

• tlenek12

Posted November 11, 2015 - 01:13 PM

just weld it...
akrapovic mufflers are best

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.