Throttle Stops???

20 replies to this topic
  • backwheelbandit

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:08 PM

For WR426's they came stock with a throttle stop... Ive heard of two things take it out or put the YZF one in does it really matter to just take it out or is it smartter to put the YZF one on.
Any help appreciated

• dbailey223

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:37 PM

You don't want to take it out. Your throttle could get stuck. You should either trim the stock one down to the YZ size, or get the YZ stop.

• backwheelbandit

Posted February 06, 2006 - 03:13 AM

Thanx 4 that i was sure it wasn't a good idea to just take it out.
cheers again m8 enjoy the ridin

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 06, 2006 - 05:54 AM

Recently I've been reading a lot on throttle stops, my father recently bought an 06 WR and I had to trim the TS for him. I decided to look at my throttle stop to compare the length (modified by my local dealer), then I would simply match the length and cut it. To my surprise the TS on my bike was cut off right where the loctited threads ended.. No length at all.... :thumbsup: It's a third the length of a stock YZ stop....... I copied the length and cut my fathers stop and installed... No problems..... Either one of us has had any problems with the stops. I have thousands of miles on my bike with an extremely short TS.... I have always been under the assumption that the throttle stop length is critical, but I learning that chopping it almost all off gives the same results.....

any thoughts?

Dan

• tmckeown

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:00 AM

Hi Dan,

Anyway the slide will stop on the roof of your carburetor. You can adjust how much that slide will open with that screw (if you're really picky, you just wanted it to open so it will clear the airway) other than that size don't matter :thumbsup:

Timo Mc

• OneToGo

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:15 AM

Hi Dan
I was wondering what length the YZ and the WR screws were in the 06 models. (too lazy to search previous posts). Do you have the dimensions? Obviously the WR length limits thottle opening where-as the YZ allows full opening, OR does it?
I thought the ultra-short stop would have been a problem if the return cable frayed or snapped - BUT i'm not sure now. Begs the question whether one is needed for any purpose other than to fill the threaded hole.
Anyone else seen this on their WR FCRs?
Cheers
Colin

• CycleWriter

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:08 AM

While doing this mod for a magazine article last year I did indeed find a problem with the slide locking up in full throttle position with the screw completely removed or cut down to the threads. It is rare, not easy to duplicate and may never happen to you, but it only has to happen once for it to be disastrous. Seeing it happen in a controlled environment was enough to convince me that I didn't want to risk it happening out on the trail. Like a lot of things designed into products just to make the product liability lawyers happy, there's usually some scientific justification for the manufacturer to include it. I wouldn't want to be that one that proves the exception. :thumbsup:

• JDrooster

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:05 PM

I have another question about Throttle Stop Screws. I have researched it, and haven't found any specific info. I have a 99WR400. I'd prefer to buy the YZ stop to replace mine instead of grinding mine down, but I can't find a part number anywhere for the 99yz throttle stop. All of the parts diagrams (even the one in the owners service manual) have no listing for that part (at least the ones I have seen). The throttle stop screw is definitely different on my bike than the diagram I saw on thumperfaq. Does anyone know how to get ahold of a YZ throttle stop for a 99 model yz400? I have seen a good article that describes how to grind it down, and will do that if I have to, but i'd prefer to get a YZ stop. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. -Jerry

• byggd

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:37 PM

Dan,
When I was jetting my bike I noticed mine was cut pretty short too, with only about 4 or 5 mm left above the threads. I opened the throttle by hand and it stopped before it even hit the screw.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 07, 2006 - 05:45 AM

Dan,
When I was jetting my bike I noticed mine was cut pretty short too, with only about 4 or 5 mm left above the threads. I opened the throttle by hand and it stopped before it even hit the screw.

Exactly... We're in the same club byggd.... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 07, 2006 - 05:49 AM

Hong Kong Colin, Here you go............ More throttle stop info than you'll ever need....

:thumbsup: <-click on him.....

• andy666

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:29 AM

I got a 06 wr 450 and checked my bike for full throttle and the slide opens all the way.Did they get rid of the throttle stop in 06?

• Few

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:37 AM

The Dealer changed mine out before I signed the check. Maybe a change out was done for you?

• Punisher660

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:08 AM

While doing this mod for a magazine article last year I did indeed find a problem with the slide locking up in full throttle position with the screw completely removed or cut down to the threads. It is rare, not easy to duplicate and may never happen to you, but it only has to happen once for it to be disastrous. Seeing it happen in a controlled environment was enough to convince me that I didn't want to risk it happening out on the trail. Like a lot of things designed into products just to make the product liability lawyers happy, there's usually some scientific justification for the manufacturer to include it. I wouldn't want to be that one that proves the exception. :thumbsup:

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but -

Even if your throttle stuck wide open, why is it such a big deal? Pull in the clutch and grab the brakes :thumbsup: The whole throttle stop thing is new to me, the two strokes I came from didn't have them and when your throttle stuck (due to dirt or whatever) pulling the clutch was always the answer. I know that they are being installed to meet new safety compliances, but are they really a big deal?

• CycleWriter

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but -

Even if your throttle stuck wide open, why is it such a big deal? Pull in the clutch and grab the brakes :thumbsup: The whole throttle stop thing is new to me, the two strokes I came from didn't have them and when your throttle stuck (due to dirt or whatever) pulling the clutch was always the answer. I know that they are being installed to meet new safety compliances, but are they really a big deal?

Depending on where it happened and the conditions, even an experienced rider might not have the reflexes to deal with it in time. I ride mountain trails and forest single track, and I can see a number of situations where if my throttle were to stick I could easily be injured or even killed. Like I said, it is a rare occurence, but I wouldn't let that stop me from being better safe than sorry. :thumbsup:

• andy666

Posted February 07, 2006 - 03:02 PM

The Dealer changed mine out before I signed the check. Maybe a change out was done for you?

Im not sure if they did or not but it was never mentioned to me .

• OneToGo

Posted February 08, 2006 - 07:08 AM

Hi Dan
Thanks for the thread below:

Hong Kong Colin, Here you go............ More throttle stop info than you'll ever need....

:thumbsup: <-click on him.....

I owe you one!
Cheers Colin
:thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 08, 2006 - 06:55 PM

:thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted February 09, 2006 - 02:53 PM

I have been thinking about this and the bike has two cables going from the throttle to the carb. Now if the throttle were to stick logic tells me if I crank the throttle closed the second cable will pull the carb closed, wouldn’t it? Now getting the throttle cable hooked on a branch is a whole different story but under normal riding conditions I just don’t see it happening even if the throttle stop is way short. Am I way off on this?

• CycleWriter

Posted February 09, 2006 - 03:54 PM

I have been thinking about this and the bike has two cables going from the throttle to the carb. Now if the throttle were to stick logic tells me if I crank the throttle closed the second cable will pull the carb closed, wouldn’t it? Am I way off on this?

Yes. There's a point in the FCR throttle operation where the slide locks fully open mechanically. Once reached, no amount of pulling on the cable will close it. Normally, there's no way to reach it with a properly set up carb, but removing or over-shortening the throttle stop could allow it to happen. Like I said, when I was researching this mod for the Dirt Rider article, I had this happen in my hands with my own bike. That was enough to convince me that I would never recommend doing this mod the wrong way to anyone.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.