changing oil

1 reply to this topic
  • jwcrf05

Posted February 05, 2006 - 07:52 PM

i just got a 05 yz450 and the oil needs changing. it seems to be a complicated process according to the service manual. In the manual is says to take off the oil strainer and clean it? what is the oil strainer, is it the whole frame that the oil sits in? and also if i change the filter too how much oil should I put back in the bike and where am i supposed to fill it at? thanks for the help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:45 PM

That really is 100% covered in the manual. Read through it again.

It is not necessary to clean or inspect the strainer (part of the fitting to which the feed line attaches) each oil change. Do it once now, and then only in the event of a major repair or failure. Skip draining the oil lines, too.

For day to day oil changes, run the engine, drain the tank, drain the crankcase using the large drain plug under the transmission, change the filter, and refill. Takes about fifteen minutes.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.