Chain Lube

26 replies to this topic
  • Sean_McCutcheon

Posted September 28, 2001 - 10:19 AM

I also use WD-40 and have had no trouble. My chain looks good and shows little wair and WD-40 is much cheaper then any chain lube out there.

• john_pearce

Posted September 29, 2001 - 05:13 AM

HI ALL

WELL CALL ME A CHAEP SKATE IF YOU MUST .
ALL I DO AFTER JET WASHING (SIN) THE BIKE IS TO REMOVE THE CHAIN , IF ITS REALLY GUNKY
I SOAK IT FOR A DAY IN KEROSINE/OIL (80/20).
IF ITS CLEAN AFTER WASHING I JUST SOAK IT
IN OIL . A FEW HOURS BEFORE MY NEXT RIDE I HANG IT UP TO DRAIN OFF BEFORE FITTING.
WELL THE THING IS ITS ONLY THE OLD OIL FROM THE MOTOR OIL CHANGES (RECYCLING THEY CALL IT)BELRAY EXP 10/40.
THE BIKES NOW DONE 1200 MILES AND I'VE ONLY HAD TO ADJUST THE CHAIN ONCE .AS YOU KNOW THE NEW CHAIN MEASURES 150MM ACCROSS 10 LINKS ,
MINE NOW MEASURES 154MM SO ITS NOT STRETCHED MUCH.
I USED TO GET REALLY PISSED OFF WITH ROCK OIL
CHAIN LUBE SPLATTERING EVERYWHERE ON PREVIOUS
BIKES, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF WHAT I DO IS RIGHT
BUT I RECON IF THE OILS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE MOTOR ITS SURE AS HELL GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE CHAIN........GIVE IT A TRY.

AND MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN
JOHN
PORTSMOUTH , ENGLAND

• Woody426

Posted September 29, 2001 - 11:07 AM

A few years ago I talked with a rep from Tsubaki. He told me that all o-ring chains need is a light lubricant to keep the metal from rusting and to lubricate the o rings. He recommended Silkolene which is basically a silicone spray. The pin lube stays sealed in as long as the o rings stay in good shape.

Woody

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tree_hugger

Posted September 29, 2001 - 04:44 PM

I have been using A1 sauce for the last three years, works great and it doesn't taste bad either.

• John_H

Posted September 29, 2001 - 04:50 PM

I'd like to ride behind you some time - mmmm.

• WR400inOZ

Posted September 30, 2001 - 04:41 PM

errrm yeah.... nothing like a bit of WD-40 on the ole sausage in bread :)

I'm really surprised at the amount of of riders using the trusty ole WD-40!

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Curtis.

[This message has been edited by WR400inOZ (edited September 30, 2001).]

• Pip

Posted October 01, 2001 - 04:02 PM

I use castrol chain oil. Seems to really penetrate but picks up a lot of crap in dusty conditions. Generally soak chain in kero after a few rides to clean it up. I too have used a bit of WD-40 in the past but I've found the castrol stuff to give better chain life.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.