Used XRL need info?

7 replies to this topic
  • ram1000

Posted February 05, 2006 - 04:39 PM

Just bought a used XR650L for my brother. I need some basic info. The stock front and rear sprockets- need to go one tooth down in the front, but I don't know if it already has one down. I also need to know the stock jetting so I can adjust up. Also this bike has the forks raised into teh tripple clamps about an inch- is this the stock position? I don't have an owners manual can I get one on a web site? If not which way do I turn the comp and rebound dampening on the rear shock for more?

Thanks I'll need more answers later. This bike has a stock exhaust and K&N air filter with an additional filter blanket aroung the K&N guaze. Do I oil that with the same K&N oil?

• don87xr600

Posted February 05, 2006 - 04:47 PM

stock gearing is 15/45

• sgifford

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:29 PM

Clockwise for more, counter clockwise for less. I believe the stock position for the fork tubes is with the bottom edge of the fork tube cap even with the top edge of the triple-clamps.

Main jet: 155
Slow: 50

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:24 PM

gear it 14/45 or 15/48 or 14/48. Your fork tubes are 15/16'ths to high.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kmul

Posted February 06, 2006 - 04:39 PM

I have a 94 XR650L, per Clymers the top of the fork tube needs to align with the top surface of the handlebar holder. If the top of the fork tube is above the clamp by an inch, thats too high.

• ram1000

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Can I remove the fork cap by simply turning it off and can I add shims to the top of the spring in the fork?

• roadcam

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:13 PM

before you move your fork tubes to stock height, get underneath and verify you have the stock link ... when installing lowering links, you must raise the tubes in their triple clamp .. perhaps that was done to compensate for an afttermarket link ... :thumbsup:

• ram1000

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:54 PM

How will I know if it is stock? I measured teh seat hieght and with the forks lowered and strapped down to my bench the seat is still 35 3/4 inches so it must be the stock link right?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.