XR 650 first time in the dunes

1 reply to this topic
  • TeaOneAndOnly

Posted February 05, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Just got a 650r and was wondering what i should do to set it up. How many paddles? Tire pressure? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:58 PM

I've taken my XR650R to the dunes once so far (lots of trips on other equipment). I used a molded-type 8 paddle and it worked fine (Kings Tire Turbo Paddle KT-977: Posted Image. Within a reasonable range of something like 8-14 psi I don't think paddle tire pressure is critical. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Front pressure seems much more key to get things handling adequately. I think I ran about 12 psi in the rear and 8 in the front (w/ a heavy-duty tube). Front was a D606; maybe it just sucks in the sand?

I found my XR to be a bit heavy (especially top heavy) in the dunes and the front end never felt very planted. Much harder to confidently move the bike side-to-side under my body compared to my buddy's older CR. Power certainly wasn't an issue but handling left something to be desired. I think a motorcross bike is in order (for me) for very extensive dune riding on two wheels. The XR650R just feels too damn heavy.

Now, bear in mind I'm mostly talking about snaking through the big dunes at Glamis. Out in the more wide-open and flatter stuff the XR showed its true colors. On that terrain, I few times I thought to myself, "Now THIS is what this bike was made for!!"

The paddle did destroy my mudguard. I had to just remove it before it ripped out the mounting holes. I think I'll try a shock cover with no mudguard next time. A "custom" milk jug material mudguard that goes between the shock and the swingarm might also work better. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.