m.s.r.p. ???

11 replies to this topic
  • darren12264

Posted February 05, 2006 - 01:50 PM

i am considering buying a new xr 650l. msrp is like 5700 . my question is how much if any can i expect to get off the msrp. im kinda torn between buying new or used.

• kelleyseiler

Posted February 05, 2006 - 03:25 PM

Usually Dealers wont come down any if at all on XRL's due to the production numbers and how easily they sell. I bought a 2006 in september and after freight and prep which is a bunch of crap I paid $5699.00

• XRsteve

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:08 PM

You should consider yourself lucky if you pay only MSRP. Most (but not all) add a title and setup fee to boost their profit. You might find a small discount, but I wouldn't count on it.

• goblin127

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:00 AM

The same with th etwo dealers nearest to me they wont budge on the one each they have (5700.00) I bought mine used (04 4500 735mi) back in Feb of 04 from one of those dealers. And I got the clark 4 gal. tank that the owner had bought for it. Luck would have it I saw the tank before they hid it cuz when I came back to look at it again they had the stock tank back on and claimed they never had a aftermarket one for it. Then it turned up and the rest is history.

• EMathy

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:56 AM

On a side note:

Don't harsh on a dealer for not coming down off of MSRP for an XR650L. Mainly because there is little or no profit margin in that model. Actually, as a rule, there is little or no profit margin in offroad motorcycles as a whole.

I worked at a dealership and have looked at the dealer cost for that moto. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is. But it ain't much less than MSRP.

Peace!
- Erik

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:03 AM

On a side note:

Don't harsh on a dealer for not coming down off of MSRP for an XR650L. Mainly because there is little or no profit margin in that model. Actually, as a rule, there is little or no profit margin in offroad motorcycles as a whole.

I worked at a dealership and have looked at the dealer cost for that moto. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is. But it ain't much less than MSRP.

Peace!
- Erik

ya got that right, all the profit is in gear. sell a shirt or a chest protector that costs them 15 bucks for 69.99 after a 50% markdown.

your best bet is to straight walk in there and tell them 5600 out the door or im gone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRAN4403

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:25 AM

got my 2006 xr650l for $5527.00 out the door.

• EMathy

Posted February 06, 2006 - 05:09 PM

ya got that right, all the profit is in gear. sell a shirt or a chest protector that costs them 15 bucks for 69.99 after a 50% markdown.

A chest protector with a dealer cost of $15, MSRP of $140 and sold at $69.99 after a 50% markdown? Heh. That's funny. Don't I just wish! :thumbsup:

I was a parts guy. If we got a 50% margin on anything aftermarket (gear or hard parts) we'd have busted out the damn champagne! Think way less than that. Most parts departments get an avg. margin of about 33% in aftermarket parts. Once you figure in all the associated costs (rent, payroll, shipping [if appicable], etc...) that's not a ton of margin to live on. In fact, it's very little.

Dealers don't make much money on the dirt market. Not unless they sell ALOT of units and ALOT of aftermarket parts and ALOT of service. In the dirt market, it's all about bulk because the individual bikes, accessories and services don't net much.

Heh...dealer cost of $15, msrp of $140? Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

• kelleyseiler

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:21 PM

:eek: When I bought my 06 XRL in September I had researched every dealer within a 150 mile radius of my town and out of 10 dealers only two had the bike or even could get one, the dealer in my town TWIGGS CYCLE of Hagerstown, MD SUCKS!!!! :p They sold me a DR650 Suzuki back in 1993 brand new and it lasted a whole 800 miles! It was using a quart of oil every 100 miles right from the start and they must have thought I was stupid or somthing, they tried to convince me that all big bores use oil like that :thumbsup: They wouldnt back there product at all had to get Suzuki America involved. Anyway twiggs wouldnt go lower then $6100.00 so I went to Criswell Powersports in Germantown MD Great to work with :thumbsup: Honest and a great service department....if I needed them :eek: I was happy to pay $5699.00 it was well worth the $$$$$$$$ :bonk: :bonk:

• hill5150

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:22 PM

your best bet is to straight walk in there and tell them 5600 out the door or im gone.

:thumbsup: Jesus.

• kelleyseiler

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:24 PM

:thumbsup: Jesus.

Most dealers will say "goodbye"

• darren12264

Posted February 07, 2006 - 02:44 AM

i find it hard to believe that the dealers don't make much off of the sale of a new bike. in 2002 i bought a new Suzuki quad, the dealer by me wanted 6700 plus tax. i ended up getting the quad from another dealer farther away for 5454.00. thats a savings of 1250 bucks. plus i didn't have to pay tax cause i bought it in P.A.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.