sticking throttle new question

5 replies to this topic
  • anyhunt

Posted February 05, 2006 - 11:23 AM

I have a 2000 wr400 the bike had been running flawlessly until it was parked for 2 months now when I let off the throttle it runs fast for a while then returns to idle. I have checked the main and pilot jets clean as a whistle, checked for binding at the grips checked the cables and they are fine.
Also if I blip the throttle it will instantly return to idle. The valve clearances have been checked recently and are within spec. Air filter is clean blah blah blah is there something I am missing besides pulling the carb and soaking it in cleaner and blowing it out. :thumbsup:

• ncampion

Posted February 05, 2006 - 11:31 AM

Check the air screw at bottom of carb. Try 1 1/2 turns out. Also check to see if the slide plate is cracked - common on the early 400's

• anyhunt

Posted February 05, 2006 - 11:37 AM

will the fuel screw move on its own? In order to check that plate is it in the book thanks for your help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted February 05, 2006 - 12:06 PM

Also check your throttle cable. They are notorious for fraying at the carb end.

• ncampion

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:22 PM

Check out this thread, sounds just like you problem. You have to remove the carb and look in to see the slide plate.

http://www.thumperta...ide plate crack

The fuel screw usually won't turn by itself, but it's a very small oriface and can get partially blocked easily. Good luck

• anyhunt

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the help spent all day removed the carb pulled it all apart and cleaned it. checked the cables again put it back together and it doesn't seem to do it anymore ( about 30 min of riding w/o problems ) this place rocks with such a wealth of knowledge and experience. Thanks :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.