04 Yz450f

Just a quick question. I have a 04 YZ450F but am having a tranny or clutch problem (I think). I just put a heavier flywheel on (8 0z) GYTR. The bike seems to stall easy when pulling away in first. I did this before I did the flywheel switch but seems even worse now. ALmost feels like a caliper is sticking when you first let out the clutch, bike just doesn't want to go at first. Bike seems good in 2nd thru 4th, just first feels weird. Both wheels spin free when in neutral (no problems). What am I missing here. I had the kickstarter catch hard a couple of weeks ago, but it seems fine. I just changed the pilot to a 48 with my fuel screw about 1.5 turns out. What a difference that made (why do they come so lean from the factory?). Definitely don't think the stalling is a jetting issue, something doesn't feel right in the drivetrain. Any help would be greatly appreciated

(Sorry this was so long)

Thanks

Just a quick question. I have a 04 YZ450F but am having a tranny or clutch problem (I think). I just put a heavier flywheel on (8 0z) GYTR. The bike seems to stall easy when pulling away in first. I did this before I did the flywheel switch but seems even worse now. ALmost feels like a caliper is sticking when you first let out the clutch, bike just doesn't want to go at first. Bike seems good in 2nd thru 4th, just first feels weird. Both wheels spin free when in neutral (no problems). What am I missing here. I had the kickstarter catch hard a couple of weeks ago, but it seems fine. I just changed the pilot to a 48 with my fuel screw about 1.5 turns out. What a difference that made (why do they come so lean from the factory?). Definitely don't think the stalling is a jetting issue, something doesn't feel right in the drivetrain. Any help would be greatly appreciated

(Sorry this was so long)

Thanks

What do you mean by "had the kickstarter catch hard" ?? As if something was jammed in it ? My armchair troubleshooting says go with your instincts - if it feels like something drivetrain then it probably is . You might try shining a flashlight down the oil fill hole to inspect ...or pop the clutch cover off for a good view . You could also let a little oil out of the engine drain and check for metal shavings first .

Just put a new clutch package (DP) in about an hour ago. No difference. Clutch basket looked good, so did the friction pads and plates. Start her up in neutral and motor sounds good, but try to shift into first and it immediatly dies with a jerk (everytime). Tried the same into second with the same affect. &%$#@! is going on?? I turned the idle way down and also adjusted the clutch freeplay with no change. PLEASE help!

Thanks

Just put a new clutch package (DP) in about an hour ago. No difference. Clutch basket looked good, so did the friction pads and plates. Start her up in neutral and motor sounds good, but try to shift into first and it immediatly dies with a jerk (everytime). Tried the same into second with the same affect. &%$#@! is going on?? I turned the idle way down and also adjusted the clutch freeplay with no change. PLEASE help!

Thanks

....and it was doing this even before the new clutch/rotor/jetting changes and/or when did this start ?

It was doing this before the clutch change. I'm using Motul 10-40 oil, and I did soak the clutch discs in oil first also. I warmed the bike up way more then usual just to make sure my oil was fully warmed up. The bike was doing this a little before the flywheel change, but seemed worse afterwards. I'm stumped. Any ideas??

It was doing this before the clutch change. I'm using Motul 10-40 oil, and I did soak the clutch discs in oil first also. I warmed the bike up way more then usual just to make sure my oil was fully warmed up. The bike was doing this a little before the flywheel change, but seemed worse afterwards. I'm stumped. Any ideas??

....let me crunch on it awhile . I'll be here at work ( not much going on tonight ) until 2am my time .

Other possibilities : Clutch steel plates warped , clutch basket grooved (wear) and not letting plates spread apart when you pull the lever in . Clutch actuation pushrod and/or ball bearing worn down ..and also check the lever arm for wear , you'll have to pop the pressure plate off to check those .........

The clutch kit I put in was complete (new steel plates, new friction plates, and new springs). I soaked the plates in oil before I installed them. There was no sign of any grooves or anything in the clutch basket. I did not remove the basket, mabe I need to. What else could be wrong? This bike has hardly any hours on it. I've only ridden it maybe 5-6 times. Not sure what is goin on, but I'm starting to think its not good. HELP

The clutch kit I put in was complete (new steel plates, new friction plates, and new springs). I soaked the plates in oil before I installed them. There was no sign of any grooves or anything in the clutch basket. I did not remove the basket, mabe I need to. What else could be wrong? This bike has hardly any hours on it. I've only ridden it maybe 5-6 times. Not sure what is goin on, but I'm starting to think its not good. HELP

check the stuff from my last post.....you might have actuation issues..........

Wheeewwwwww! Problem solved

Motul Oil + Cold + YZ450F = A nonshifting bike

Pulled the clutch cover again and with the clutch lever pulled, you could barely pull the friction plates apart with a small screwdriver. Motul oil was acting more like glue then oil. I pulled the clutch apart again and soaked everything in ATF fluid and drained the oil. Re-installed the clutch and put new 10-30 Yamalube in. Test rode it and everything seems good. O well, guess I should be glad it was nothing serious. Anyone else run in to this? Thanks for your input on this matter.

Wheeewwwwww! Problem solved

Motul Oil + Cold + YZ450F = A nonshifting bike

Pulled the clutch cover again and with the clutch lever pulled, you could barely pull the friction plates apart with a small screwdriver. Motul oil was acting more like glue then oil. I pulled the clutch apart again and soaked everything in ATF fluid and drained the oil. Re-installed the clutch and put new 10-30 Yamalube in. Test rode it and everything seems good. O well, guess I should be glad it was nothing serious. Anyone else run in to this? Thanks for your input on this matter.

Cold ? You mean like below 70 deg ?

I have the same bike and I've been using Delo 400 15-40 wt. by Chevron, i'ts a semi-synthetic designed for diesel engines and it works flawless, in fact I use it in all our bikes.

BTW...Yamaha's work really good with added flywheel weight, I use a 10oz and race desert, it does not hinder power one bit. They also work great with tall gearing e.g. 15-49, 15-48, 15-47. Looking forward to the 06 450 so I don't have to change sprockets all the time.