Krylon fusion for the frame

12 replies to this topic
  • sgifford

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:48 AM

I know many have used the Krylon Fusion paint on plastic. Has anyone used it on the 650L's white frame? How was the color match? How did it hold up to wear and tear?

Any feedback is appreciated.

• don87xr600

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:03 AM

Why would you use paint made for plastic on your steel frame?

• roadcam

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:21 AM

if you have taken your bike down to the frame, the best way to go is to get it "powder-coated" ... most fairly sized towns will have a powder-coating shop these days ... probably $50-$100, but it will last thru most anything ... if properly applied (and a lot aren't), you should be able to drag a Buck knife down it without scraping more than a very thin layer off ... you can also take it to any bodyshop, and have it painted with a polyurethane (DuPont Imron, or Ditzler Star-Rock, etc) ... forget the FUSION, not what its made for .. :thumbsup:

• sgifford

Posted February 05, 2006 - 01:48 PM

I'm just looking for something to touch up the spots on the frame where the white paint has been worn off...

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:30 PM

50-100 bucks for powder? didnt know it was that cheap!!! might consider it now......black frame sure would be nice.....lotta work to tear it down to frame though.

• wattner

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:49 PM

Honda touch-up paint from the dealer. Comes in a bottle with a brush...Like fingernail polish.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted February 05, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Honda touch-up paint from the dealer. Comes in a bottle with a brush...Like fingernail polish.

yeah but it doesnt hold up word :thumbsup: if you just want to purdy her up to sell her, but it also makes it look really bad if they spot it....makes it look like your hiding the blemishes which also means u might be hiding major problems. just let the blemishes show, shes a dirt bike!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 05, 2006 - 07:43 PM

yeah but it doesnt hold up worth :thumbsup: if you just want to purdy her up to sell her, but it also makes it look really bad if they spot it....makes it look like your hiding the blemishes which also means u might be hiding major problems. just let the blemishes show, shes a dirt bike!

• SDBSKI

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:59 PM

I used it on my frame when I had the engine out for a new top end. It's a little brighter than the original white. I sprayed from the bottom of the oil frame drain back to the swing arm and up the side tubes so you can't see the match. It looks good but it doesn't hold up like a quality poly or powder coat. It rock chips underneath from the front tire and the boot areas scuff. It's not bad for spray can and doesn't chalk from the sun. It adheres well and sands and polishes great. Not a bad alternative to get back on the road and it looks much better than the rust spots.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:25 PM

I used PJ1's white paint on my white XR600. It was a pretty good match and fairly durable.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:56 AM

As others have stated, Krylon Fusion is not designed for that job. It is designed to "fuse" to plastic, and is designed to solve the problems generally associated with trying to get paint to stick to plastic. If it sticks/works for you, then more power to you. :thumbsup:

Oftentimes, powder coating is a reasonable option, cost-wise. Many powdercoaters do jobs by the rack, so their $100 (or whatever fee) may be based on the job, which may include as much as you can fit on the rack. If this is the case, you can bring a bunch of stuff to them and have it coated at the same time for one price. Of course, this depends on your powdercoater's policy.

Just a thought. :thumbsup:

• sorenlaf

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:09 AM

50-100 bucks for powder? didnt know it was that cheap!!! might consider it now......black frame sure would be nice.....lotta work to tear it down to frame though.

I recently bought an '89 600r.

Bike was stripped *all* the way down (there's nothing attached to the frame except for the VIN plate and the inner races for the fork bearings). Hey, for $300 including an engine with a ported head and the Honda power-up (628cc) kit, motard wheels (missing the stock rear), and a CA plated frame, I'm happy!

Frame has some rust, and cleanup has been a problem. Particularly getting into/around the frame gusseting(sp?) and other hard to access bits.

What I'm going to do is go the por-15 route. Everyone I've talked to about this says the stuff is damn near indestructible, and can be applied over rust.

I ordered 1qt each of: black por-15, marine clean ("non-toxic" degreaser), and metal prep (provides for good adhesion for non-sandblasted metal). Was just under $60 shipped. Should be enough to do my frame and my bike trailer (also rusty).

If I were doing it over, I'd also order their top-coat paint (I was going to use automotive paint that I have for painting the bodywork on my road-race bike) and their little swabs for getting into hard to reach places - I didn't know about these products until I got my order with their catalog.

Either way, it'll be black when I'm done.

You can paint over the por-15, but any additional coats (of either por-15 or a top-coat) must be applied with the por-15 is still tacky or you need to use their etching primer. It's clearly going to take an entire day, and with warmer weather.

Note: I don't expect a "concourse" paint job from this, rather a not too unsightly, durable finish that can be applied over rust. I'm still not sure if the BRP is going to see street, track, or Baja use, but regardless, durable is the priority.

BTW, this wasn't meant to be a por-15 ad, rather a brain-dump after reading their literature and talking with them on the phone. Sorry if it came out spam-ish, but it was really meant to provide info for anyone considering their product.

--Soren

• officialhopsof

Posted August 14, 2014 - 05:55 AM

I don't have a white frame on mine, mine is gray, but I usually use some jbweld to cover up spots where the paint has came off the frame. Works pretty good as long as there isn't a lot of rubbing in the applied area. 

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.