WR450 revlimiter

38 replies to this topic
  • CycleWriter

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:26 PM

You say that more revs make broarder power. I say you full of shit yet again. :thumbsup:

Keep cursing at me and I'll get your ***** ass tossed. We were talking about a WR dirt bike. My statement was relative to that and nothing else. Making the 4-stroke rev higher gives it a wider powerband. That's how they were able to make them competitive with a 2-stroke. Prior to the '99 YZF, there really wasn't a 4-stroke that could compete with a 2-stroke. Four and five valve head designs made that possible. I'm done arguing with you. There's no point in it. Eat shit and die.

• Matty05

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:29 PM

Keep cursing at me and I'll get your ***** ass tossed. We were talking about a WR dirt bike. My statement was relative to that and nothing else. Making the 4-stroke rev higher gives it a wider powerband. That's how they were able to make them competitive with a 2-stroke. Prior to the '99 YZF, there really wasn't a 4-stroke that could compete with a 2-stroke. Four and five valve head designs made that possible. I'm done arguing with you. There's no point in it. Eat shit and die.

try it! :thumbsup:

• RC81

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:46 PM

This Matty is a piece of work. Just ignore him and consider the source. I would rather listen to someone who knows what they are talking about and has worked in the industry - CycleWriter - than some idiot from Australia. Rise above it and dont take his bait, you cant teach some people, thats why every village has their idiot.

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:16 AM

This Matty is a piece of work. Just ignore him and consider the source. I would rather listen to someone who knows what they are talking about and has worked in the industry - CycleWriter - than some idiot from Australia. Rise above it and dont take his bait, you cant teach some people, thats why every village has their idiot.

No doubt.

It's like CRF noobs have invaded the Yamaha forum.

• CycleWriter

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:23 AM

Thanks to you and MotoGoalie for getting my back. :thumbsup: I honestly try to help people when I can. I don't pretend to know everything, but I know a lot and I share it freely. I get real irritated when someone challenges me for no other reason than to try and make me look bad. And with bad info on top of it! :bonk: This Matty character shot his mouth off a few months ago and posted something very nasty about 9/11. I called him on it and he's made it personal ever since. The thing is, he does occasionally post something of value once in awhile. Why he would recommend riders rev the piss out of their bikes and say it causes no harm is beyond me. Hopefully, no one takes him too seriously. :thumbsup:

• glasseye

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:31 AM

I read your post, you don't ride in sand, do you?

Hitting rev limiter wont hurt your bike, how would it :thumbsup:

I was told that's why my wr426 broke valves 3 times, from hitting the rev limiter frequently!

• Dodjy

Posted February 07, 2006 - 06:01 PM

WOW this was good reading, a little opinionated at times but I was entertained. Take a step back, have a couple of beers and think of it logically. Riding on a rev limiter which retards ignition enough to pull out enough power to limit revs will shoot the exhaust temperature through the roof. If you keep it on the limiter it is bound to eventually drop an exhaust valve or at least overheat it. In a bike with a few miles on it or not so perfect sealing around the exhaust valves, the valves will melt very fast. The saving grace is that we don't stay wrapped on for too long. Hitting the limiter between the odd gear change won't hurt the motor if it is brief but a motor continuously up in the higher end of the rev range will wear out slightly quicker than one operating in the mid range. Also one chugging around in the bottom end continuously will wear bearings out faster than one running in the mid range.

It's all logical stuff, no big deal, I reckon there's a few of us who are not getting out riding enough and just need a good hard ....... adrenalin fix? (me included - I get a bit toey when I haven't been out in a while).

• CycleWriter

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Thanks, Dodjy. Good to see there's at least one person on that island that has some sense. :thumbsup:

Higher revs=more piston travel resulting in faster wear and increased heat from friction, which breaks down the oil barrier and adds even more wear. How anyone could argue differently is beyond me. :thumbsup:

• dogbone

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Reading this thread, INDY_WR450 said he could push the kill switch and his bike would still go. You said that it was because of the rev limiter! Even I think you are wrong CYCLEWRITER! Sounds like you don't like to be told wrong! I have seen it on several other posts here! Please don't pay out on me the newbie too!

Didn't MATTY05 apologize for the one line WTC comment last year? Sounds like you need to get over it and grow up!!! Insiting hatefulness on the net is childish. Do you want all of us American's to rise up and agree with you??? Everyone has different opinions, that is why Yamaha has a manual to follow.

MATTY05 just seems to like to stirr. You took the bait, he wins!
I went to university in Australia (a hell of a lot cheaper!) and they all like to stirr.
He only seems to argue if he thinks someone is wrong, everyone seems to go to far!
It makes for a great read, opinoins here are STRONG!!!!! Man I love this place!

Who holds their bike flat out on the limiter for any length of time? Just hitting it won't do anything.

More wear? how long does a yamaha last? I know a few friends with YZ400's who ride like demon's, they have never had a problem with their bikes. That's why we ride Yamaha's.

Yes more friction causes more wear, but that is what oil does to stop. Use good oil with frequent changes, what is the problem?

I have had gear boxes let go, I don't ride on the limiter, far from it. Wear happens at any rpm, I think that load it the problem not just heat and rpm's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CycleWriter

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:18 PM

Reading this thread, INDY_WR450 said he could push the kill switch and his bike would still go. You said that it was because of the rev limiter! Even I think you are wrong CYCLEWRITER! Sounds like you don't like to be told wrong! I have seen it on several other posts here! Please don't pay out on me the newbie too!

Yo, newbie, go back and reread the thread. I never connected those two things. What could the kill switch possibly have to do with his bike continuing to rev? My response to Indy was regarding the effectiveness of the stock rev limiter, which is what he referred to. Maybe you should try working on your reading comprehension before you start posting.

Didn't MATTY05 apologize for the one line WTC comment last year? Sounds like you need to get over it and grow up!!! Insiting hatefulness on the net is childish. Do you want all of us American's to rise up and agree with you??? Everyone has different opinions, that is why Yamaha has a manual to follow.

Sorry, but as an ex-Marine, I take it personal when someone uses this country as a punch line. The remark was totally uncalled for and the only reason he made a lame attempt at an apology was because it almost got him banned.

MATTY05 just seems to like to stirr. You took the bait, he wins!

And you can defend that?

He only seems to argue if he thinks someone is wrong, everyone seems to go to far!

Between this and the frame guard thread, please point out anything I posted that deserved such stupidity in response. Him and his Aussie friend are the only ones posting anything contrary. A number of others have validated my opinions with their own comments. He started a shitstorm over my recommending plastic frame guards all so he could try to send some business the way of an Aussie company he either knows or has done business with. At least my recommendation had no hidden agenda.

It makes for a great read, opinoins here are STRONG!!!!! Man I love this place!

You probably should have lurked a little longer before posting, IMHO.

Who holds their bike flat out on the limiter for any length of time? Just hitting it won't do anything.

I clearly said that, but the question was about repeatedly bumping off the limiter. The limiter is there for a reason. It's not a shift indicator or a fun meter.

More wear? how long does a yamaha last? I know a few friends with YZ400's who ride like demon's, they have never had a problem with their bikes. That's why we ride Yamaha's.

What has that got to do with anything? Just because they have shown good reliability is no excuse to give out bad info. If you want to continually run your bike up at the limiter, that's your business, but you should know it may have serious repercussions and it's reckless to tell others differently. Do you really want to be responsible for giving out info that may cause someone to damage their bike? I wouldn't.

Yes more friction causes more wear, but that is what oil does to stop. Use good oil with frequent changes, what is the problem?

Higher revs means higher sheer loads, which is hard on even the best oil under the right circumstances.

I have had gear boxes let go, I don't ride on the limiter, far from it. Wear happens at any rpm, I think that load it the problem not just heat and rpm's.

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence, it's only relative to the person sharing it. Without knowing exactly how someone rides their bike and their style, telling them to go ahead and run it up to the rev limiter as often as they like is just plain irresponsible. And saying it just to be disagreeable with someone you don't like shows an utter disregard for the person depending on that info. Welcome to the forums, but I hope you pick better causes to champion than Matty05 because he's a jerk. Don't just take my word for it, read some of the comments from others about him. And some of those are people who never saw his 9/11 post.

• dogbone

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:32 PM

sounds like you are a sook........

• CycleWriter

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:59 PM

sounds like you are a sook........

A sook? :thumbsup: What the hell is a sook?! :thumbsup: If you're going to insult someone, at least have the sense to use the spell check. :bonk: :bonk:

• dogbone

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:03 PM

sook - meaning cry baby, winger, dibber dobber, cyclewriter :thumbsup: .........

• CycleWriter

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:16 PM

sook - meaning cry baby, winger, dibber dobber, cyclewriter :bonk: .........

Name calling: the last refuge of the weak minded. :thumbsup: So, was that a private joke between you and your new-found Aussie buds? What a kissass. :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:29 PM

Name calling: the last refuge of the weak minded. :thumbsup: So, was that a private joke between you and your new-found Aussie buds? What a kissass. :thumbsup:

You called me a shitstain? :bonk:

• RC81

Posted February 07, 2006 - 11:48 PM

You know, pissing off knowledgeable people like CycleWriter is a sure way to have a forum populated only by idiots. You get enough of the ones who know what they are talking about to leave then what do we have? I don't know why some dopes have to argue every point to their grave even when they know they are wrong. When only the idiots are left just wait until I post my wonderfully advice!! Maybe my first topic will be how I dynoed my bike on diesel oil only and got 56 hp. Some will believe it you know.

• Matty05

Posted February 08, 2006 - 12:08 AM

You want knoweledgable - talk to a mechanic...... or just read your manual.

My older brother is a mechanic, alot more knoweledgable about an engine, electronic systems and how it all works than some writer.......

Still doesn't mean I am right, that is what the beauty of a discussion forum really is.........

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 08, 2006 - 07:21 AM

I've asked some mods to look at this thread. I'd rather have cyclewriter around then the Three amigo asshats. They provide NOTHING.

• CycleWriter

Posted February 08, 2006 - 10:55 AM

I've asked some mods to look at this thread. I'd rather have cyclewriter around then the Three amigo asshats. They provide NOTHING.

I apologize for allowing the few who would rather disrupt than contribute drag me down to their level and clog this forum with nonsense. I will try to ignore them in the future. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.