Bike sideways?!

7 replies to this topic
  • boer

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:01 AM

I took a fall yesterday in the desert and ended up on the ground a couple of feet away from the bike lying on it's side, still in 2nd gear with the engine idling away and the rear wheel happily turning.

Are there any engine internals that could have been daamged whilst the engine was rotated 90 degrees on its side and still running??? Any damage from a lack of oil or excessive thrust forces?? There must be someone clever out there that will know the answers :thumbsup:

I will definately be getting some radiator gaurds now!! :thumbsup: :bonk:

• clark4131

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:11 AM

IAre there any engine internals that could have been daamged whilst the engine was rotated 90 degrees on its side and still running??? Any damage from a lack of oil or excessive thrust forces?? There must be someone clever out there that will know the answers :thumbsup:

I'm no design expert, but common sense and experience tells me since this is a dirt bike, a certain amount of abuse is factored into its design. I have crashed mine in the same manner numerous times, but everytime I go to fire it back up, it starts without a hiccup. It's not like you're redlining the thing in that position for an extended period of time. I think you're being just a bit paranoid. Relax and ride :thumbsup:...SC

• Numskull

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:44 AM

maybe consider getting a deadmans kill switch :thumbsup:

• treecop

Posted February 06, 2006 - 01:17 AM

My bike spends a small amount of time on its side. Never hurt it other than plastic and pride. I would recommend the Flatland Racing radiator guards. I ride trails and they have saved me plenty $$$$.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:30 AM

Lack of oil? It is a dry sump engine anyway!
It will be fine.

Congratulations on your first stack! :thumbsup:

• boer

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Congratulations on your first stack! :p

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Actually 2nd, first was over the bars :thumbsup: on the first ride :eek:

Serious chip in my ego :bonk: :bonk:

• Beejay

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:15 PM

There's gonna be more coming :thumbsup:

• Few

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:19 PM

Gee, I can't wait to get my first scratch :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.