When does it ignite?

9 replies to this topic
  • Bjarn

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:13 AM

Hi!

I have some problems with my YZF 426 -00.

How do you know when it ignite? I dont want to put the camshaft wrong so it ignites at the wrong time.

Im from sweden... :thumbsup:

// Rikard

• Fastest1

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Are you referring to timing? Are you reinstalling the cams? Stock cams? Or a later auto decomp cam?

• Fizz

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:56 AM

if you install the cams by the marks on the fly wheel and cams it won't .. unless if tis a 450 cam ...
check and check again ...

do you have a manual for the bike?
if not, one can be found here

• CycleWriter

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Hi!
I have some problems with my YZF 426 -00.
How do you know when it ignite? I dont want to put the camshaft wrong so it ignites at the wrong time.
Im from sweden... :thumbsup:

This is a joke, right? If not, then find someone who knows what they're doing to work on your bike because you are obviously clueless. :thumbsup:

• Bjarn

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:28 AM

sorry, I see now that i didn´t made my self clear :thumbsup: .
I have the manual and a know how the camshaft shold stand. My question should have been. How do I know if it is the top position when it ignite or the one when it sucks in fuel?
But now I have heard that yzf 426 ignite every time but every othertime it doesn´t have anything to set on fire :thumbsup: .

// Rikard

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:39 AM

I think I know what you're asking. Just line up the timing marks as indicated in the manual and everything will be OK. 4-strokes only burn fuel on every other revolution. The cams spin at 1/2 the speed of the crank so it all works out.

• CRFThumper

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:49 AM

I think he is asking,how do I know what stroke the engine is on?correct?If that is the case like sir thump said just line the marks up and all is good.with the engine a tdc(top dead center) the cams should point away from each other.The cams determine what stoke the engine is on,in other words the crankshaft doesn't know what stroke its on and doesn't care. :thumbsup:

• CycleWriter

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:17 AM

I think he is asking,how do I know what stroke the engine is on?correct?If that is the case like sir thump said just line the marks up and all is good.with the engine a tdc(top dead center) the cams should point away from each other.The cams determine what stoke the engine is on,in other words the crankshaft doesn't know what stroke its on and doesn't care. :thumbsup:

Exactly right. With the top end off, the piston is at TDC every time the timing mark is visible in the window. It isn't until the cams are set that you can determine whether it is on the compression or exhaust stroke, but TDC doesn't change.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:41 PM

...you are obviously clueless.

Shame on you, Rick, and by the way, how's your Swedish?

The answer to your question is that it doesn't matter. You are concerned about picking the wrong one of the two TDC's that exist in a 4-stroke engine, as you can do with a car engine. In the case of your Yamaha, the ignition is triggered by the crank, and it fires on every revolution. That means there is a spark when it is needed, and another one when it is not.

So, it is the cams that determine which stroke is which, and the spark will come at the right time if the cams are correctly installed.

• CycleWriter

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Shame on you, Rick, and by the way, how's your Swedish?

I did preface my remark asking if it was a joke. Seems there are so many questions lately from either clueless riders or 10 year olds. If you can't ask a proper question, how can you expect a coherent answer? I did notice he was a furriner, but his English wasn't that bad. Even he reread his post and saw the ambiguity in it. I'll try to be more tolerant, though. :bonk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.