Stupid Question about Mods

6 replies to this topic
  • kelleyseiler

Posted February 05, 2006 - 04:47 AM

:thumbsup: I know this probably is a stupid question to most of you but what is desnorkeling? I will be getting my K&N filter and Dynojet Kit in the mail soon, and I am not sure what else I need to do along with these. I have just installed a Wileyco exhaust and it definetly needs the jet kit. Please dont laugh too much but I am new at all this stuff :thumbsup:

• snaggleXR650

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:48 AM

Some (alot?) of bikes like XR's come with a removable restrictor in the airbox as well as lean jetting and a stuffed up pipe. This all allows the bike to pass strict EPA emissions tests. However, it really saps the bikes power. The "snorkel" you are referring to is a common name for an airbox restrictor. Some are easily removed, some aren't. Some don't have them at all. In this case people usually enlarge the existing hole in the airbox. This gets more air into the carb/motor. Rejetting the carb (richer) will be necesary to match the higher volume of air. More air/fuel, more power. This whole process is also known as "uncorking," and is specific for each bike. Good luck.

• goblin127

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:50 AM

To take the top of the air filter box off, it's held on with two rivet's

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kelleyseiler

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:11 AM

I have a 2006 XR650L. Is there a restrictor plate on it?

• roadcam

Posted February 05, 2006 - 07:15 AM

yup ... under the seat, you will see the black plastic airbox... and a 'plate' with a hole in it, and two rivets ... simply drill out the rivets ... this will allow you to remove the 'plate', which will allow the carb to breathe easier .. :thumbsup:

• kelleyseiler

Posted February 12, 2006 - 07:06 AM

Thanks guys got her done and was as easy as you said!
http://photobucket.c...8/kelleyseiler/
click on mods

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 12, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Some (alot?) of bikes like XR's come with a removable restrictor in the airbox as well as lean jetting and a stuffed up pipe. This all allows the bike to pass strict EPA emissions tests. However, it really saps the bikes power. The "snorkel" you are referring to is a common name for an airbox restrictor. Some are easily removed, some aren't. Some don't have them at all. In this case people usually enlarge the existing hole in the airbox. This gets more air into the carb/motor. Rejetting the carb (richer) will be necesary to match the higher volume of air. More air/fuel, more power. This whole process is also known as "uncorking," and is specific for each bike. Good luck.

Its funny how you never really answered the question. Would it not have been easier to just come out and say its this dumb ass rubber tube that cuts off half the air flow, take off the seat and rip the somma bitch out. if its riveted, drill the rivets out and rip it out.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.