Bike protection plates, what should I get??

50 replies to this topic
  • Matty05

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:19 PM

Nothing wrong with plastic. I got aluminium because I feel it protects the rear brake reservoir better. They cost twice as much though.

• Matty05

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:21 PM

You're right. I have no idea about any of this. Magazines pay me to write about this stuff simply because I'm clueless. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

2 years old and still going strong!

• boer

Posted February 07, 2006 - 12:56 AM

I thought all plastics manufacturers made plastic frame guards?
I don't know why you guys cant find them?
Ever thought of getting some made for an '03 - '05 YZ? Not that hard at all.

In Australia, B&B Aluminium make the best frame guards and bash plates.
They are cheap and very tough. They are also look awesome with smooth rolled bends.

Posted Image

Hey bud,

I have checked with B&B. They can ship worldwide. :thumbsup: Are you extremely happy with the frame gaurds and bashplate, cause I may just order them later?? :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted February 07, 2006 - 05:08 AM

Hey bud,

I have checked with B&B. They can ship worldwide. :thumbsup: Are you extremely happy with the frame gaurds and bashplate, cause I may just order them later?? :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:You might ruin your boots....................

I'll pm you. :bonk:

• boer

Posted February 07, 2006 - 06:06 AM

:rolleyes:You might ruin your boots....................

I'll pm you. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :eek: :p :eek:

• Few

Posted February 07, 2006 - 06:36 AM

Ok Guy's, what about the Front Disc? Metal vs. Plastic?
My local Bike Parts Store (Who Sold Me A '05 Guard that did not FIT!!) called to tell me that UFO now wants 100% more $ for their '06 version in white. &%$#@!? Am I paying for their Tooling and Set Up? $22.00 to $44.00 ...just lost my taste for that one.
I'm wondering on the durability of the Aluminum for Big Ribicon Rock Dings?
I shreded a plastic one on my XR.
I just want to protect as much as I can as cost effective as I can. Thanks.

• Matty05

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Ok Guy's, what about the Front Disc? Metal vs. Plastic?
My local Bike Parts Store (Who Sold Me A '05 Guard that did not FIT!!) called to tell me that UFO now wants 100% more $ for their '06 version in white. &%$#@!? Am I paying for their Tooling and Set Up? $22.00 to $44.00 ...just lost my taste for that one.
I'm wondering on the durability of the Aluminum for Big Ribicon Rock Dings?
I shreded a plastic one on my XR.
I just want to protect as much as I can as cost effective as I can. Thanks.

GYT-R carbon fiber?

I haven't got a front disc guard but am thinking about it.
Why won't it fit the '06???

• Few

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:12 AM

Same problem I had the the Works Rear Caliper Guard, the Bolt Patern Space encreased a 1/2 inch.

• Matty05

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:14 AM

Not enough metal to drill new holes?

That sucks man.

• Few

Posted February 07, 2006 - 07:24 AM

Is not Carbon Fiber known :thumbsup: for it's abrasive resistance rather that for It's impact rebound?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CycleWriter

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:32 AM

2 years old and still going strong!

I guess you missed the part in my posts where I referred to having WHITE boots. The point was that aluminum frame guards will leave ugly black marks where they make contact, not that they will do any damage to them. I also said that if that's not an issue for you, then aluminum guards will work fine. But don't let logic get in the way of your childish stupidity. :thumbsup:

• 04WR450F

Posted February 07, 2006 - 05:04 PM

You won't find them on their website, but they do make them. I had to special order mine, but they are so much easier on your boots than aluminum and they protect the frame better. here's a pic of mine:
http://photobucket.c...Frameguards.jpg

Those look sweet.

• john smart

Posted February 07, 2006 - 08:00 PM

what did you do to your legs? Did you try to out jump
robbie Knievel or what?

• john smart

Posted February 07, 2006 - 08:12 PM

If they don't offer them for the wr , what bike do you order for?

• dogbone

Posted February 07, 2006 - 08:12 PM

I guess you missed the part in my posts where I referred to having WHITE boots. The point was that aluminum frame guards will leave ugly black marks where they make contact, not that they will do any damage to them. I also said that if that's not an issue for you, then aluminum guards will work fine. But don't let logic get in the way of your childish stupidity. :thumbsup:

I had plastic guards on my old YZ450, they still marked my white boots. White just scuff more. It is a hard color to keep clean! I got sidi flex force, great boots, but will go back to Alpine stars next. My next boots won't be white!

You must really hate that MATTY05 guy! :thumbsup:
Either that or can't except criticism! :bonk:

MATTY05, what guards are those? I have never seen them before they look good.

• boer

Posted February 07, 2006 - 08:21 PM

MATTY05, what guards are those? I have never seen them before they look good.

They are ozi made by B&B. I'll be getting some of them :thumbsup:

http://www.bbaluminium.com/yamaha3.htm

• Matty05

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:00 PM

If they don't offer them for the wr , what bike do you order for?

'03 - '05 YZ450F :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:34 PM

For you exchange rate challenged folks here in the States, that's about $75 plus whatever shipping would be from OZ. Not bad considering Works Connection guards go for $65 from the Parts Unlimited catalog and don't offer near the coverage. Matty, you ought to talk to your buddies at B&B and see if they can get a distributorship going in the US...SC

• CycleWriter

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:44 PM

I had plastic guards on my old YZ450, they still marked my white boots. White just scuff more. It is a hard color to keep clean! I got sidi flex force, great boots, but will go back to Alpine stars next. My next boots won't be white!

Go to a metal polishing shop and look at the buffing wheels they use on aluminum. They'll be black. That's what happens to your boots. If they're black, no biggie. It's not that white boots scuff more, it's that they make any wear more noticeable.

You must really hate that MATTY05 guy!

Not really, but anyone who makes rude comments about the people that died on 9/11 just for sport doesn't deserve any respect.

Either that or can't except criticism!

What he's been doing isn't critique, it's mean-spirited baiting. Nice job for only your 6th post in here, newbie. I hope the USA-bashing cretin from Australia becomes your new best buddy.

• boer

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:21 PM

I hope the USA-bashing cretin from Australia becomes your new best buddy.

For goodness sake cyclewriter. :thumbsup: Let it go. You are going on about it like an old stuck record player.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and no matter what, I don't think it will ever change. That's what makes these froums so usefull and interesting. So let by gones be by gones and lets talk TT and dirtbikes, afterall that's what we are here for. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.