2005 WR Problems - Help!

5 replies to this topic
  • bk_WR450

Posted February 04, 2006 - 09:42 PM

I bought a 2005 WR450 and it ran great the first few times. This season, took it out....float was stuck. Took the carb apart, cleaned it...figured might as well put the AIS removal kit on. Put it all back together, starts great! Load her up for some riding, wont start when I get to the desert....ugh!

Pull the plug, cuz shes all flooded, kick out the extra gas...she fires up! The, like the exorcist, she spits gas out the airbox return pipe (of course my idle screw position was all jacked up). Tone down the idle screw...the spewing stops. Throw on my gear, cant get her started again.

Pull the carb again (friends say the needle and seat are notoriously bad on WR's) clean her up. Starter wont turn...so I kick. After figuring out I need to go full throttle to even get a chug, she starts..... great! But now the exhaust is smoking at the headpipe connection and end. Get the idle set, she dies after 2 minutes (and after all the bolts are back in of course).

Now...She wont turn the starter (relay just kicks), and wont start... Any clues? Please help! :thumbsup:

• tony1970

Posted February 04, 2006 - 10:08 PM

Here you go,

Float level not set right.
Gas went bad and your carb is gooed up.
Leaks at exhaust clamps and causing air leak.
You left the gas on on the way to the desert and you got gas in the oil.

It could be a number of things. Did you buy the bike new? Did someone F with the timing? The electric start could be a bad connection to your battery and all you need to do is clean the terminals and charge your battery. I never heard of the float needle and seats going bad, since the carb is used on about 5 other makes of bikes. If you are having problems and your frustrated my advice is find a good shop and take it in. Sometimes you can do more harm than good. Good luck.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted February 04, 2006 - 10:09 PM

I bought a 2005 WR450 and it ran great the first few times. This season, took it out....float was stuck. Took the carb apart, cleaned it...figured might as well put the AIS removal kit on. Put it all back together, starts great! Load her up for some riding, wont start when I get to the desert....ugh!

Pull the plug, cuz shes all flooded, kick out the extra gas...she fires up! The, like the exorcist, she spits gas out the airbox return pipe (of course my idle screw position was all jacked up). Tone down the idle screw...the spewing stops. Throw on my gear, cant get her started again.

Pull the carb again (friends say the needle and seat are notoriously bad on WR's) clean her up. Starter wont turn...so I kick. After figuring out I need to go full throttle to even get a chug, she starts..... great! But now the exhaust is smoking at the headpipe connection and end. Get the idle set, she dies after 2 minutes (and after all the bolts are back in of course).

Now...She wont turn the starter (relay just kicks), and wont start... Any clues? Please help! :thumbsup:

that's funny never had a single issue with the needle and seat on my 04 WR450 and my 98 YZ400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bk_WR450

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:20 AM

This morning, there was a ton of gas under the bike....so I think you are right, the float is not set correctly. Good possibility on the gas in the oil, its time to change the oil anyways.

I bought it new but it sat for well over 6 months. I have cleaned the carb 3 times now...can't imagine it is goooed up. As for timing, its stock other than what removing the gray wire does to the timing.

• tony1970

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:48 PM

Are you turning your gas off? A bunch of gas under the bike sounds like you are not. Even when the bike sits turn the gas off, this is even more important when you are transporting the bike because the jarring of the ride will cause gas to get inside the cylinder and fill your crankcase with gas. My friend did this and fried his whole motor. You may know this already but just wanted to suggest it if you did not. Hope you get the problem worked out.

• Narrdo

Posted February 17, 2008 - 07:11 AM

You might also check your hot start cable coming out of the top of the carb. After working on my bike over the summer and putting it back together, it ran crappy and I started doing a lot of adjustments to it before I found that it was not seated correctly and the cable was jammed. Once I got it straight, it ran fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.