Trading a KLR650 for XR650L?

11 replies to this topic
  • wickidchikin

Posted February 04, 2006 - 08:46 PM

Do you guys think this would be a good idea? My boyfriend and I each have KLR's; mine is the 250, his is the 650. We got those bikes to learn how to ride on, to get our street licenses, and to bomb around the trails on. Now that its been a couple years, we would like more competent off-roaders. I don't mean that we need GREAT dirtbikes, but we still want something a little better. I plan to trade for a KLX250s. It sounds perfect for me.

He, on the other hand, has a really wierd taste in bikes. He likes to ride bikes that aren't as competent as others because its more of a challenge. Problem is, he keeps breaking the KLR650 because he's riding beyond its capabilities. My question is, how much better offroad is the XR? How does it do on the street compared to the KLR? I know it won't be nearly as comfortable, but is it acceptable? We do about 50/50 on/off riding, so it is important that it can take the streets okay. Does it break often like the KLR or does it actually hold up? I know the engine is reliable, and that engine and suspension mods exist, so power and suspension are non-issue. Please be aware that he is not looking for the best off-roader ever made, just a step up from the Kawi. What do you all think. Thanks! :thumbsup:

• sgifford

Posted February 04, 2006 - 10:22 PM

The XR650L will handle anything he wants to do off-road. The KLR is definitely more comfortable for longer durations on the road. My L is great around town, but 1 hour of continuous freeway/highway riding (without putting feet down) is about all my rear can handle.

For off-road and short trips/commuting, it works great. And it's extremely reliable.

• wickidchikin

Posted February 04, 2006 - 10:25 PM

The XR650L will handle anything he wants to do off-road. The KLR is definitely more comfortable for longer durations on the road. My L is great around town, but 1 hour of continuous freeway/highway riding (without putting feet down) is about all my rear can handle.

For off-road and short trips/commuting, it works great. And it's extremely reliable.

That's about what I figured. He likes the on-road comfort and long range fuel tank on his current bike, but since he mostly rides with me and my 250 is anything but comfy on longer trips, he has decided that it doesn't matter. We don't do much highway anyways. I don't like it and neither does my bike.

• goblin127

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:54 AM

There are all kind's of mod's you can do to the XR like puting a bigger gas tank on.

• roadcam

Posted February 05, 2006 - 07:24 AM

the XR650L is worlds better than the KLR (OFFROAD), the KLR definitely gets the nod on the pavement ... both are extremely dependable, the XR650L is about 30 pounds lighter than the KLR ... :thumbsup: ... wow! .. I didn't think I'd EVER get to say something was heavier than my piggie :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:37 AM

200 bucks will get you a 4.6 gallon tank for the L....couldnt need much more than that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRnToon

Posted February 05, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Yup, the XR is waaayyy better than the KLR for off road. I put 4000 kilometers on my 650L last year - 80% off road.
Get the Honda.

• wheelnut46

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:51 PM

It warms my heart to see someone trade up to a XRL from a KLR.
I never understood why someone would trade ability for comfort. It's not like the L is uncomfortable (like a DR) anyway.
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a DR in the first place but what do I know. Those that actually own them seem to like them well enough.
Get the Honda.

• goblin127

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:45 PM

I have a bud of mine who had a KLR years ago got rid of it ,bought the XRL and is way happier.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 05, 2006 - 07:57 PM

The xrl is 50/50. Thats exactly what its made for. the klr is like 80/20 road/dirt. i have broken 2 things on my L in 2000 off road miles, the rear disk guard and the left bark buster. I rigged the bark buster and shes as good/strong as new.....looks good to. I really pound on her when im off road, its either idle or wide open. More than an hour on the highway would be pretty uncomfortable but thats 80 miles.....i would never need to go more than 80 miles on my L. The klr is a road bike that can go down gravel roads with occasional bumps....not much more than that.

• Maladjusted_XR

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:00 PM

Definite step up with the XL. Not the "best offroad" bike (is there one??) but is able to withstand most abuse without issue. The KLR can't touch the XL for offroad.
The sacrifice comes with comfort and range. Both problems easily solved.

• wickidchikin

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for all the replys. I think I know what he wants now! (the xrl) :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.