Why slide the forks up on 06?

6 replies to this topic
  • Jeff_Ashe

Posted February 04, 2006 - 06:54 PM

Admittedly, I only have one day on my 06 YZ450F. But I started out with Michelin MS3 in moderately sandy soil today, and there was no push or anything that indicated a fork height change needed.
Is the height change just people blindly following a magazine article or am I missing something?

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Other guys have run into a bit of push, but it may have had to do with riding style, soils, tires, sag settings, or a number of other things. They cured it by pulling the forks up. :thumbsup:

What I find interesting is the feedback I here about how sensitive the bike is to small changes. You actually get noticeable results from the adjustments you make. It seems to me that would be easier to work with than to keep changing stuff and not seeing anything come of it.

• Jeff_Ashe

Posted February 04, 2006 - 07:06 PM

I forgot to add that I have a brand new DunFlop 739 front tire for sale, cheap!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:24 AM

Is the height change just people blindly following a magazine article or am I missing something?

I like the feel of it. It helps make the bike feel smaller to me. I did 10mm on my WR and it helped a ton for overall feel and handleing on it as well. :thumbsup:

• debounce

Posted February 05, 2006 - 11:29 AM

The front tire causes a lot of the push, but if you slide up your forks and set your sag to 98mm, there is a big difference on the stock front tire. I don't know if there is a difference if you have a front tire that is suited to the soil you ride on, but it will still allow you to turn tighter.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted February 05, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Admittedly, I only have one day on my 06 YZ450F. But I started out with Michelin MS3 in moderately sandy soil today, and there was no push or anything that indicated a fork height change needed.

I have played with fork height quite a bit on my 06, Anywhere from flush to 15mm. I run my sag at 103mm as per Enzo racing recomends and run a 755 Dunlop on the front with cr high bend bars. The only time I have felt that the front end wanted to push was with the stock 739 tire. Other than that I just change fork height as needed for riding conditions.

• Jeff_Ashe

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:04 PM

Follow-up on raising the front forks... Rode a slightly harder soil today, close to medium but still on the soft side. Definitely was a slight push in the front. Raised the forks about 5mm, from the factory flush setting to the "first line visible" setting. Corners much better. No sign of head shake.
So I guess I am reinforcing the magazine articles and making the recommendation to raise the forks high enough to make the first line visible. Oh yeah, don't forget the Michelin MS3 if you ride medium-to-soft terrain. It just don't get no better! :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.