06 YZ450 .... Things that suck!

76 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:17 PM

That could be. He did have a hard time keeping the front tire on the dirt. I am certainly no racer myself. I would like to see two guys who know what they are doing go at it. None the less, I was surprised that he didnt blow right past me. Nice to see you get on here with such positive posts :thumbsup: . Must be nice to be 16 and already know it all. :thumbsup:

I was merely thinking out loud. If you think about, a bike with at least 65 hp should be able to take a bike that weighs the same and has 50hp. I mean 450's are really fast, but 500's are in a league of their own. I am not bad mouthing you or anything, I am just talking bad about the guy on the 500 that let a guy on a 450 beat him.

• Lizard 1

Posted February 07, 2006 - 04:35 AM

Alright, coming out of grade school now. Why would I feel the need to lie about such a trivial issue? We are directly affiliated with a store in DFW and we get the bikes from them when they arrive there. I don't know why we get them that way, but it's how they work. I've never seen bikes come off crates any different than I have at the shop I work at. I didn't say anybody was wrong, I just didn't know any better. They may take the bikes apart there to make it easier for us to lube them up. The owner of both stores demands customer satisfaction and doesn't rip people off. It's probably something he does to make things work more efficiently. Sorry if you thought I was lying, but I don't have to come onto a dirt bike web site and make up stuff to heighten my self-esteem. I was just having a discussion about something I've dealt with before. Excuse my ignorance.

So, it sounds like you don't get them from Yamaha direct, but rather a seemingly pre-assembly company. I think it is great if you are having them disassemble them for proper greasing, but like my other response, are you lubing things like shifter and brake arm bolts, swingarm pivot bolts, axles, and steering head? I think you stated axles and obviously, the steering head, but what about the others? If not, why are you wasting time on the other stuff? The owners still need to take the unit apart to lube the proper areas...

plus, how long does it take you to disassemble and re-assemble 6the units and grease? I think walking the customer through a paid service option or having them do it themselves would make more sense financially on a business level.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 07, 2006 - 05:13 AM

I was merely thinking out loud. If you think about, a bike with at least 65 hp should be able to take a bike that weighs the same and has 50hp. I mean 450's are really fast, but 500's are in a league of their own. I am not bad mouthing you or anything, I am just talking bad about the guy on the 500 that let a guy on a 450 beat him.

You got to consider that often times more weight means more traction depending on the soil conditions. On a pure rubber mat surface the lighter guy should win but the 450 four stroke will always launch better in the first few feet with good traction. :thumbsup:

• kizzle426

Posted February 07, 2006 - 06:45 AM

So, it sounds like you don't get them from Yamaha direct, but rather a seemingly pre-assembly company. I think it is great if you are having them disassemble them for proper greasing, but like my other response, are you lubing things like shifter and brake arm bolts, swingarm pivot bolts, axles, and steering head? I think you stated axles and obviously, the steering head, but what about the others? If not, why are you wasting time on the other stuff? The owners still need to take the unit apart to lube the proper areas...

plus, how long does it take you to disassemble and re-assemble 6the units and grease? I think walking the customer through a paid service option or having them do it themselves would make more sense financially on a business level.

That's my primary job there. I mount tires and take care of the bikes that come in from the other shop. i don't lube the shifter and brake arm bolts. I didn't even know you were supposed to lube those. Maybe I should go do that to my own bike then lol. All the other parts you mentioned (pivot bolt, steering head, etc.) are given a good dose of the nasty stuff. I use a machine press to put the steering stem bearings on. It takes a while to do, but I'm specifically there to do stuff like that. I work on harder stuff sometimes, if I have the time. I'll do the occasional top end change on a 125 or something. When a customer buys a bike form Mick (the owner of the store(s) he makes sure to go over any questions they have and lets them know to do exactly what the manual says on the service regiments. I'm really not sure if he lets them know where to lube, but as good as he is of a guy, I'm sure he doesn't leave any stones unturned. Hope I answered your question good enough. I didn't even see where you had asked it earlier.

• Private B

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:35 AM

I also call BS! They come assembled minus what has already been previously stated. You must be working in some sort of chop shop or something. What is the name of it again so I know not to go there.

• Wyatt

Posted February 07, 2006 - 09:54 AM

The bikes are apart when they come in the crate. [COLOR=Red]When I worked at the Yami shop here in town[/COLOR], you get the bikes with the trees and stem off and the front wheel off. We take off the back wheel and grease the bearings and axle. The swingarms were always lubed. We had to grease up the stem and bearings ourselves. That's the same with Kaw/Hon/Suzuki. Point being, they come slightly taken apart and it's known that the dealer's have to grease them. Most of the time they don't, unless you are lucky and get a good dealer.

Before you said "when you worked there"

Now you work there again

Which is it?

There are holes in this story.

• SUnruh

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:18 AM

if the bikes were really serviced as claimed, all of the loc-tite would be broken free.

the bikes come in a steel crate with the front axle bolted to it. the front wheel is back by the rear. the handle bars are not on, but all of the controls are on them.

once the crate is taken apart, the bike comes out, front wheel gets put on, handle bars are put on as is the front fender. oil level is checked. some shops put a splash of gas, start them and run them through the gears. that's it. that is it!!!

• kizzle426

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Alright, coming out of grade school now. Why would I feel the need to lie about such a trivial issue? We are directly affiliated with a store in DFW and we get the bikes from them when they arrive there. I don't know why we get them that way, but it's how they work. I've never seen bikes come off crates any different than I have at the shop I work at. I didn't say anybody was wrong, I just didn't know any better. They may take the bikes apart there to make it easier for us to lube them up. The owner of both stores demands customer satisfaction and doesn't rip people off. It's probably something he does to make things work more efficiently. Sorry if you thought I was lying, but I don't have to come onto a dirt bike web site and make up stuff to heighten my self-esteem. I was just having a discussion about something I've dealt with before. Excuse my ignorance.

I already made my point, I don't think I have to make it again. This is my first experience with any of this type of business. I made a typo when I said I 'worked' there. i have no idea how they go to other shops. I no FOR A FACT that they come from another store. We have a box truck that goes and picks them up when they arrive. I've NEVER seen bikes come in any different way, so like I said I guess I don't know any better. I've only been at this place since mid October last year. I only work a few days a week and I don't get paid much. The rest of the time I work at Radioshack. my only real point in working there is so I can learn a few things. I know the owner from racing and riding with his son. I don't really know what to tell you guys. Believe me or don't. I could honestly care less. It's a forum, I was having a discussion.

• scottpb33

Posted February 07, 2006 - 10:54 AM

-Plastic. Hate how it looks two years old after only the first outting.

-Chain. Gets replaced by every rider anyways, but it would be nice if they went the route all the oems are doing now with bars. Actually to put on a good chain would be a novel idea...

-Bars. Well, for me (6', 1"). Went to CR Highs and it is a great inprovement. Of course, a few other guys have complained about their bars so, maybe not just a tall guy's issue...

-Front tire. Bogus. Sucks. If you like tucking the front all the time, fine, but a different front is needed. Hate having to buy a new set of tires right off the bat. Oh well, lets me get a better brand, anyways...

-Grease. Actually, lack of. Can't believe that after so many years, these OEMs can't actually grease key areas. Of course, we always tear the bikes almost 100% down to begin with, but for an average Joe, it kinda sucks...

However, in the grand scheme of things, I really like the bike. Handles great (Once you find the best settings), awesome and smooth power, light and agile, and easy to ride well. We'll see how this all goes in Supermoto form, but overall, very Honda-like...

The chain on a new bike is alwasy the cheapest, I work that into the purchase price everytime, not worth the trouble afterwards.

Yeah, tires make a difference, pending on where you ride, but its good enough to break the bike in.

The grease thing, well, I have to say , I buy a new bike every 2 years, I use to tear the whole bike down, grease it, lock tite most nuts and bolts, I have not bothered on the last two bikes and I have had no issues with anything. I ride quite often, and hard. The most I ever really had to do was change the oil and filter, these bikes are bullet proof. Look at all of the guys who own Honda's, we'll have more top-end mechanics in USA than we ever did because of Honda. KTM however is a bit better on how there bikes are made, it is very obvious. It would be nice if the put grease fittings on key areas, but I'm told they won't because they will more than likely get broken off.

The bars are cool, no doubt, but not good for everyone, still better than steel bars!

The dipstick thing, no doubt it stupid, its like they got done with the bike and said "Shit, we have to have a place to put the oil in"? Very dumb, but I'm sure someone will make a mint off of a good idea posted here, :thumbsup:

One thing I have learned over the years in buying a bike, is to get it from a good dealer that will work with you on price and incorporate some add-on's as part of the purchase price for things that the big Y forgot. My dealer is awesome with stuff like this.

For instance, its obvious most people had to rejet there bike, he provided the jets for free, I just gave back the ones I did not use. Also, I would like to point out that to re-jet the bike was a piece of cake, just make yourself a hex-head 1/4" socket, and a modified screw driver for the jets. If you need a pic of what I made, email me.

As a old bike mechanic told me a long time ago, "does it run, yes, then ride it. Because its not the bike , but the rider!"

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 07, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Cool, didnt mean to jump on you too hard. Alls well that ends well. Maybe I am just the best drag racer the world has ever seen.......... :thumbsup: ......or NOT :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lizard 1

Posted February 08, 2006 - 05:01 AM

That's my primary job there. I mount tires and take care of the bikes that come in from the other shop. i don't lube the shifter and brake arm bolts. I didn't even know you were supposed to lube those. Maybe I should go do that to my own bike then lol. All the other parts you mentioned (pivot bolt, steering head, etc.) are given a good dose of the nasty stuff. I use a machine press to put the steering stem bearings on. It takes a while to do, but I'm specifically there to do stuff like that. I work on harder stuff sometimes, if I have the time. I'll do the occasional top end change on a 125 or something. When a customer buys a bike form Mick (the owner of the store(s) he makes sure to go over any questions they have and lets them know to do exactly what the manual says on the service regiments. I'm really not sure if he lets them know where to lube, but as good as he is of a guy, I'm sure he doesn't leave any stones unturned. Hope I answered your question good enough. I didn't even see where you had asked it earlier.

I think the BS is getting a little high now. You're better off quitting with this discussion now. You've been putting your own foot in your mouth from the start - quit now while you're still able.

First, NO REASON you should be pressing bearings on a new machine. NONE!!! If it is a new OEM crated Yamaha, it does not come with the bearings needing pressed on.

If you are doin what the manual says for service of assembly (Which any tech who's done it before doesn't even use), it has no place stating the assembly of the triples, lubing the stem, or pressing on bearings.

Here's the deal. You stated that you guys lube everything 'cause the owner makes sure the machines are done properly and done by the manual. However, you didn't even know that the shifter and brake bolts need lubed. It is stated in the manual that after you re-assemble them, they need lubed. Pretty damn clear.

Look, the bikes come like I stated - In a steel crate, front end is attached via triples, etc. The forks are bolted via a clamp over the front axle to the crate for stability, the wheel, handlebars, front plate, misc other things are all off the machine to a degree, but nothing that can't have a YZ put together 100% in under 20 minutes. Now, the issue was the fact that Yamaha doesn't apply enough or any grease to certain key places. It is probably because they are sold as race only machines and the idea is that most racers are pulling the bikes apart to inspect and set-up their bikes. The issue isn't for the majority of us racers out there - it is the average Joe who is a back yard rider buying one.

They simply don't come un assembled like you stated. I am beginning to question your shop's tactics and what they do. I don't suppose you'll validate what is going on by telling the shop's name, eh?

• Sapling Thrasher

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:35 AM

Man.... I wish I had as much free time on my hands as you guys!!!

• NYMXer

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:36 AM

.......and did this thread ever get hi-jacked!

• dirtbikindad426

Posted February 08, 2006 - 08:46 AM

Thats the truth so...............back to the YZ450F

• shigbie

Posted February 08, 2006 - 09:30 AM

The only thing that sucks about my new YZ450SE is the weather in TN keeping me from riding!

Everything else is gravy, all part of maintenace and no need for whinning.

• NYMXer

Posted February 08, 2006 - 10:09 AM

The only thing that sucks about my new YZ450SE is the weather in TN keeping me from riding!

Everything else is gravy, all part of maintenace and no need for whinning.

Same problem here, new bike but I can't ride it yet. :thumbsup:

• Blaster21996

Posted February 21, 2006 - 06:09 AM

All "Hi-Jacked" out. resume combative banter :thumbsup:

• kirkray1

Posted February 21, 2006 - 06:13 PM

the only thing i dont like is the neighbers complain about noise never had problem with yz 250

• motoclay

Posted February 21, 2006 - 09:28 PM

i guess the only thing i dont like bout it, besides some of the issues already mentioned is draining the oil. &%$#@!, two oil bolts, on opposite sides of the bike, and one u MUST use a wrench to get at, that kinda sux, Other than that, this thing rocks!

• Blaster21996

Posted March 03, 2006 - 05:52 AM

All "Hi-Jacked" out. resume combative banter :thumbsup:

Anything new? YES. The oil leak problem, lets expand on that!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.