06 YZ450 .... Things that suck!

76 replies to this topic
  • Blaster21996

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:53 PM

That is odd you should mention it. Yesterday I met a guy who had a CR500. Real nice guy. Our groups rode together for most of the afternoon. Him and I were almost exactly the same skill level. Time got the best of us and we headed to an area known as the 'drag strip'. Now I am not a thin fellar, in fact I am a fat ass and he was not, I bet I had him by 50lbs or better. I won every drag we did, from a dead stop and from a role. :thumbsup: :bonk: I really thought he was gonna kick my ass, but man oh man is this 450 fast. :bonk:

I have not put my CR500 against my new YZ450. But, I would have to say that the 500 would smoke my 450.

I am scared of my CR500, but I am not scared of my 450's...... yet... :thumbsup:

• Blaster21996

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:02 PM

Awwwww I am so sorry that you have to take an extra 30 minutes to rejet your carb and that you have to spend $20 on a little plug. Do you need a tissue?

Your concern for my discomfort, relating to the difficulty in jetting my 450 reminds me of the eternal love that all humans share. Thank you for that! :thumbsup:

• aford541

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:13 PM

Your concern for my discomfort, relating to the difficulty in jetting my 450 reminds me of the eternal love that all humans share. Thank you for that! :thumbsup:

Actually the steps are the same for the 05 and the 06 regarding jetting changes it is easiest if you disconnect the hot start then loosen the carb and rotate it so you can look up through the bottom hole in the carb then you can change both of the jets without too much brain damage.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:45 PM

Maybe the guy didnt have any balls and was afraid to twist the throttle.....

That could be. He did have a hard time keeping the front tire on the dirt. I am certainly no racer myself. I would like to see two guys who know what they are doing go at it. None the less, I was surprised that he didnt blow right past me. Nice to see you get on here with such positive posts :thumbsup: . Must be nice to be 16 and already know it all. :thumbsup:

• Lizard 1

Posted February 06, 2006 - 05:26 AM

-Plastic. Hate how it looks two years old after only the first outting.

-Chain. Gets replaced by every rider anyways, but it would be nice if they went the route all the oems are doing now with bars. Actually to put on a good chain would be a novel idea...

-Bars. Well, for me (6', 1"). Went to CR Highs and it is a great inprovement. Of course, a few other guys have complained about their bars so, maybe not just a tall guy's issue...

-Front tire. Bogus. Sucks. If you like tucking the front all the time, fine, but a different front is needed. Hate having to buy a new set of tires right off the bat. Oh well, lets me get a better brand, anyways...

-Grease. Actually, lack of. Can't believe that after so many years, these OEMs can't actually grease key areas. Of course, we always tear the bikes almost 100% down to begin with, but for an average Joe, it kinda sucks...

However, in the grand scheme of things, I really like the bike. Handles great (Once you find the best settings), awesome and smooth power, light and agile, and easy to ride well. We'll see how this all goes in Supermoto form, but overall, very Honda-like...

• Wyatt

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:21 AM

One lap on a watered MX track, and the dipstick is covered in mud. Hardly a a time to check oil. I onky check it before the ride when the bike is clean. It is ugly though, and a nice aluminum piece would look much better.

• kizzle426

Posted February 06, 2006 - 07:50 AM

-Grease. Actually, lack of. Can't believe that after so many years, these OEMs can't actually grease key areas. Of course, we always tear the bikes almost 100% down to begin with, but for an average Joe, it kinda sucks...

That's not the OEM's fault. Your dealer gets the bike in and it's their job to put it together and lube all those major parts. I think the only OEM that sends their bikes greased is KTM.

• beezer

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:50 AM

Why should a dealer have to take a brand new bike apart to grease it?

Yamaha never puts enough grease where it should be and the newer Yamaha's don't use any grease at all.

• kizzle426

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:57 AM

The bikes are apart when they come in the crate. When I worked at the Yami shop here in town, you get the bikes with the trees and stem off and the front wheel off. We take off the back wheel and grease the bearings and axle. The swingarms were always lubed. We had to grease up the stem and bearings ourselves. That's the same with Kaw/Hon/Suzuki. Point being, they come slightly taken apart and it's known that the dealer's have to grease them. Most of the time they don't, unless you are lucky and get a good dealer.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Yesterday I met a guy who had a CR500. ...I won every drag we did, from a dead stop and from a role. I really thought he was gonna kick my ass, but man oh man is this 450 fast.

Having owned the motorcycle formerly known as "BFH", I have to say you out-rode him, and the bike helped you do it. A CR500 is all the things that people said about the '03 YZ450 times two. It is EXTREMELY difficult to ride one to anywhere near its potential. But having ridden the beast in the Elsinore GP once, I can tell you flat out for certain that the thing was faster on pavement than anything else that I saw that day, blue, red, or chartreuse, and I could easily pass CRF's that were 80 feet in front of me leaving the turn to the front straight. It's just that in the dirt, the 450 will hook up naturally, and the 500 won't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:22 AM

The bikes are apart when they come in the crate. When I worked at the Yami shop here in town, you get the bikes with the trees and stem off and the front wheel off. We take off the back wheel and grease the bearings and axle. The swingarms were always lubed. We had to grease up the stem and bearings ourselves. That's the same with Kaw/Hon/Suzuki. Point being, they come slightly taken apart and it's known that the dealer's have to grease them. Most of the time they don't, unless you are lucky and get a good dealer.

Wrong. I have gotten my last 2 YZF's in the crate. The stem, clamps and forks are already installed.

I am not saying that you shouldn't take them apart and greae them, but they come form the factory assembled. Basically, a bike inthe crate is missing teh front wheel, fender, bars, and controls.

• kizzle426

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:36 AM

Wrong. I have gotten my last 2 YZF's in the crate. The stem, clamps and forks are already installed.

I am not saying that you shouldn't take them apart and greae them, but they come form the factory assembled. Basically, a bike inthe crate is missing teh front wheel, fender, bars, and controls.

That's wierd. We got them with the whole front end removed with a massive chunk of stierofoam holding the front of the bike up. did you get them from the dealer or some type of OEM deal. I'm not sure whether we had them sent like that or not but I can tell you for a fact I unboxed 4 '06 450f's and 250f's myself and had to grease and put them together myself. We get streetbikes in the manner of which you were speaking. I wonder if they change the way they do it per request.

• Wyatt

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:46 PM

That is strange. These were in the crate straight from Yamaha. I have unboxed an '04 and 2 '06s. They were all as I stated.

• Lizard 1

Posted February 06, 2006 - 01:44 PM

There's not a single YZ that comes with the triples completely removed from the bike inthe crate. You just need to bolt on the front wheel and some assorted parts. Basically, if every dealer took the bike completely apart to grease, it would be hours of labor.

You guys seriously took the swingarm bolt out and greased it? You pulled the triples? The Swing arm pivot bolts? The rear and front axles? The brake and shifter bolts?

I highly doubt it, but if you did, you must have some techs who love not getting paid because non of the OEMs give much time for assembly....

• Lizard 1

Posted February 06, 2006 - 01:48 PM

That's wierd. We got them with the whole front end removed with a massive chunk of stierofoam holding the front of the bike up. did you get them from the dealer or some type of OEM deal. I'm not sure whether we had them sent like that or not but I can tell you for a fact I unboxed 4 '06 450f's and 250f's myself and had to grease and put them together myself. We get streetbikes in the manner of which you were speaking. I wonder if they change the way they do it per request.

Smells fishy. Can you say back peddle? There's NO OEM YAMAHA YZ that comes in the manner you described... Your YZs come from the factory the same way as anyone else's... Styrofoam isn't a good way to support a front end. The Yamahas typically come with the forks bolted to the steel crate's frame for support. Put it this way, in transit, do you think a bike bolted to a steel crate or a bike supported by styrofoam is more likely to be intact once it reaches shore????

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 06, 2006 - 02:18 PM

People don't lie and make shit up on the internet do they? :thumbsup:

• Lizard 1

Posted February 06, 2006 - 03:06 PM

People don't lie and make shit up on the internet do they? :thumbsup:

Serious? You mean, this guy isn't telling the truth? I thought everything on the internet and in movies was real. DAMNIT!!! :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted February 06, 2006 - 03:13 PM

I have a brand new stock chain sitting in a box if any of you need a replacement cheap :thumbsup:

• kizzle426

Posted February 06, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Serious? You mean, this guy isn't telling the truth? I thought everything on the internet and in movies was real. DAMNIT!!! :thumbsup:

Alright, coming out of grade school now. Why would I feel the need to lie about such a trivial issue? We are directly affiliated with a store in DFW and we get the bikes from them when they arrive there. I don't know why we get them that way, but it's how they work. I've never seen bikes come off crates any different than I have at the shop I work at. I didn't say anybody was wrong, I just didn't know any better. They may take the bikes apart there to make it easier for us to lube them up. The owner of both stores demands customer satisfaction and doesn't rip people off. It's probably something he does to make things work more efficiently. Sorry if you thought I was lying, but I don't have to come onto a dirt bike web site and make up stuff to heighten my self-esteem. I was just having a discussion about something I've dealt with before. Excuse my ignorance.

• howard27

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:01 PM

For all you snivelers and mechanical engineers. There is a helpful solution for access to your much better than average roomy carb area. My local shop sold me a nylon pouch with main jet and pilot tool that even with my oversized hands (nickname "ham fist") was able to change both mj and pilot without tilting the carb :thumbsup: . The brand is "MP". Call Frank at Villa Racing @ (805)542-9904. Watch out I think he bites. Yes the different bars are a must . Windham bend was perfect for me (6'1"). I sold my stock pro taper on ebay and and ebayed for the Windham's. At least it isn't one of those boat anchor bars hanging in my garage. I'm 10$ ahead. If I were CEO of Yamaha YZ division nowing that all you moto heads are watchings the bike weight and are going to customize your bike with different spockets ,ratio's , gold chains ,ect... I would put the lightest cheapest chain that penciled out. But for you disatisfied YZers I'm sure that the mags will beat up all the japanese maufacturers like before and renthal or others will be the supplier of gold . If you are one of the chosen ones that is a owner operator riding a YZ450f just now that you dont need to buy a rear suspension link :thumbsup: , water pump impellar & housing , valve job the first year :eek: ,Better radiators , replace a cracked cylinder :bonk: . dance sprocket around a poor 3rd gear ratio. :bonk: do I need to go on ? In closing Thank you Yamaha for making the wait worth it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.