06 YZ450 .... Things that suck!

76 replies to this topic
  • Blaster21996

Posted February 04, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Got ya! Like all things, some things do suck, even, when the sum of all the parts equals FANTASTIC!

(To Clarify: I Think This Bike Is Awesome)

However,

Getting at the carb SUCKS!

The oil dip SUCKS! The aftermarket needs to JUMP on this thing! It stands up like a little pecker right between the spars without any protection, and to top it off, it's made of plastic. That sucker is not long for this world.

That's all I got!

This bike is the best bike I have ever ridden!

• Jeff_Ashe

Posted February 04, 2006 - 06:39 PM

I couldn't agree more about access to the carb. It's just WAY too Honda-ish. But I have to say that I saw that one coming. All the alum frame bikes are that way.
As for the dipstick... What dipstick had that idea! Anybody that give a crap about their bike measures their oil and changes often. A dipstick implies that I would actually leave oil in there long enough to wonder if some had burned off! I'm going Monday to find a metric bolt to cut off and make a plug.

• Blaster21996

Posted February 04, 2006 - 06:42 PM

I couldn't agree more about access to the carb. It's just WAY too Honda-ish. But I have to say that I saw that one coming. All the alum frame bikes are that way.
As for the dipstick... What dipstick had that idea! Anybody that give a crap about their bike measures their oil and changes often. A dipstick implies that I would actually leave oil in there long enough to wonder if some had burned off! I'm going Monday to find a metric bolt to cut off and make a plug.

Excellent idea on the plug. First one to find/make one, anodize it, and gets it to the masses, WINS!

• Whoya

Posted February 04, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Got ya! Like all things, some things do suck, even, when the sum of all the parts equals FANTASTIC!

However,

The oil dip SUCKS! The aftermarket needs to JUMP on this thing! It stands up like a little pecker right between the spars without any protection, and to top it off, it's made of plastic. That sucker is not long for this world.

That's all I got!

How is the YZ compared to the WR? Feel lighter? Rideability??

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 04, 2006 - 08:49 PM

Honda is 10x worst to get at the carb.

Trick for the carb. Remove the seat and then tank/shrouds (as one unit), Remove the upper motor mounts, loosen the clamps on both ends of the carb and rotate it to get to the bowl. Very simple.

IF you need to get to the needle, remove the seat, tank/shrouds and motor mounts.

If you have to remove the carb, yeah pull the subframe.

At least yamaha has a vertical hotstart. The honda is facing the spare and just about impossible to get at with a wrench. Real PIA.

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2006 - 09:37 PM

A dipstick implies that I would actually leave oil in there long enough to wonder if some had burned off!

I don't know about you (even though you just handed me a clue), but I check the stick a couple of times a day, even when I don't change it for the next ride. It's always OK, but you never know. Keep the dip stick and zip tie a piece of plastic to the frame tubes to protect it if it worries you.

What some people won't do to find something to complain about. :thumbsup:

• Blaster21996

Posted February 04, 2006 - 10:57 PM

I don't know about you (even though you just handed me a clue), but I check the stick a couple of times a day, even when I don't change it for the next ride. It's always OK, but you never know. Keep the dip stick and zip tie a piece of plastic to the frame tubes to protect it if it worries you.

You have legitimized your own point :thumbsup:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:02 AM

What I didnt like was the breather hose running down the side of the frame. Some people have rerouted it to the airbox but for me just removing the frame clamps and rerouting it between skidplate and engine worked for me, about a 15 min job and looks a lot better.

• ccbugman

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:06 AM

The breather tube looks like crap running along side the frame. Running between the frame and skid plate looks much cleaner. That was the first thing I did.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Things that sux on the 06:
Not enough grease ......nuf...said!

What the hell is Yami thinking ....they forgot to add the top part of the glide plate that covers the front of the engine.....you know the one that has been there since 1998......I guess that piece was not finished in time to ship to market..... :bonk:

I had to take a impact driver to remove the countersprocket cover :bonk: ....still using the stupid phillipshead screws.....only Yami torqued them beyond any reasonable amt.....replaced with the same stainless allenhead hardware on the rest of the bike... :thumbsup:

Things that are better on the 06:

Better grade sprocket bolts/nuts......finally :thumbsup:
All fastners are 8mm instead of screws on the shrouds....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FFRacing79

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:28 AM

What the hell is Yami thinking ....they forgot to add the top part of the glide plate that covers the front of the engine.....you know the one that has been there since 1998......I guess that piece was not finished in time to ship to market..... :thumbsup:

Maybe they thought that now that the oil tank resides there, it might benefit from a little airflow. Tdub

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:17 AM

How is the YZ compared to the WR? Feel lighter? Rideability??

Dude, not even in the same class. It is so much smaller, lighter, and more 'flickable'. It handles like a whole different animal, turns on a dime. Suspenssion is unreal, although I had mine re-sprung and re-worked for my fatness. Power, forget about it. I let my bro ride my YZ while I rode his WR yesterday. Wow, I used to think the WR(free mods, pipe) had so much power, yesterday it actually felt sluggish :thumbsup: I feel like I can ride way longer just because it is so much less work. I could go on forever, but I will spare you all. I am just so thrilled.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted February 05, 2006 - 11:33 AM

I have been afraid to check the oil with the dip stick during riding sessions because of the dirt and mud that invaribly collects there. I don`t want anything foreign to inadvertingly fall into the oil tank. That being said I do like the convenince of loosening the dip stick when draining my oil to let the oil flow more freely.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted February 05, 2006 - 03:40 PM

The other thing I am really getting tired of is the stock chain, seems to be made of rubber the way it stretches all the time. Only been riding the bike 2 months and am going to have to replace the chain because it has stretched so much.

• lipskid

Posted February 05, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Ditto on the chain. I'm gonna put an x-ring on soon, before the sprockets git roont. Is anyone getting their boot tops stuck under the shrouds? I just about ended up in a tree today. :thumbsup: I go to put my foot back on the peg coming out of a turn, and get my boot wedged between the shroud and the peg. Practically had to park it before i could get unstuck. Happens every ride. I was hoping the IMS tank would help. Gonna have to duct tape or trim the boots I guess.:thumbsup:

Other'n that, I'm so freaking in love with this thing it's probably illegal.

• Blaster21996

Posted February 05, 2006 - 04:58 PM

The other thing I am really getting tired of is the stock chain, seems to be made of rubber the way it stretches all the time. Only been riding the bike 2 months and am going to have to replace the chain because it has stretched so much.

Amen! I broke it in yesterday for 15 minutes, and had to adjust the chain! I spent 4 hours on it today and guess what? I had to adjust the chain again! The sucker had about 4 inches of slack after 4 hours!

This bike is CR500 FASSSTTTT! :thumbsup:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:29 PM

This bike is CR500 FASSSTTTT!

That is odd you should mention it. Yesterday I met a guy who had a CR500. Real nice guy. Our groups rode together for most of the afternoon. Him and I were almost exactly the same skill level. Time got the best of us and we headed to an area known as the 'drag strip'. Now I am not a thin fellar, in fact I am a fat ass and he was not, I bet I had him by 50lbs or better. I won every drag we did, from a dead stop and from a role. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I really thought he was gonna kick my ass, but man oh man is this 450 fast. :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:32 PM

....they forgot to add the top part of the glide plate that covers the front of the engine.....you know the one that has been there since 1998......I guess that piece was not finished in time to ship to market..... :thumbsup:

No oil lines to keep stones off of. That was the reason for the little black plastic thing in the first place.

And I threw my front sprocket covers away long ago. The case savers are held on by short hex screws. Did you notice that the oil filter cover is removable with one wrench now, instead of two?

I have been afraid to check the oil with the dip stick during riding sessions because of the dirt and mud that invaribly collects there.

You have a point. One more reason to add your own stone deflector.

You have legitimized your own point

...Which leaves it legitmate, none the less. :thumbsup:

• kawirider

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:43 PM

However,

That's all I got!

Awwwww I am so sorry that you have to take an extra 30 minutes to rejet your carb and that you have to spend $20 on a little plug. Do you need a tissue?

• kawirider

Posted February 05, 2006 - 09:47 PM

That is odd you should mention it. Yesterday I met a guy who had a CR500. Real nice guy. Our groups rode together for most of the afternoon. Him and I were almost exactly the same skill level. Time got the best of us and we headed to an area known as the 'drag strip'. Now I am not a thin fellar, in fact I am a fat ass and he was not, I bet I had him by 50lbs or better. I won every drag we did, from a dead stop and from a role. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I really thought he was gonna kick my ass, but man oh man is this 450 fast. :bonk:

Maybe the guy didnt have any balls and was afraid to twist the throttle.....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.