Xr650r vs cr500 RACE

3 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted February 04, 2006 - 05:08 PM

I just raced my freinds 1995 cr500. It has a fresh top end with wesico parts. My 2000 xr650r is uncorked, plated. In a drag race on pavement, the 650 was equal until 50mph and then the 650 said good by. On the dirt I smoked him everywhere. The xr shined in the 50mph to top speed range. Riders where equal, we have rode since we were born. Also the rear tires were new or like new.

I can say the 500 feals much faster, but is not. The 500 can not match the tourqe and power curve of a 650. The 650's have power everywhere.

BRP's Rule.

I am going to try to put a picture of my bike in my profile.

• wickedsprint

Posted February 04, 2006 - 05:37 PM

I believe you, I owned a KX500 and it felt pretty wicked, but I think the 650r would pull it as you describe since it canput the power down easier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR/CRDave

Posted February 04, 2006 - 06:19 PM

I own both bikes, 650 and 500, and I doubt my 650 would win in a drag race against the 500. I know for sure it would not win in soft sand or sand hill drag racing. Possibly on hard pack or pavement the 650 would win as they fly in this type of terrain.

One night we were going to eat dinner at a local restaurant while camping/riding in the desert (Ocotillo Wells). My buddy's took the highway with their Cherokee so I decided to hop on the highway as well. They were doing 90 mph and I came up behind them with my 8 inch Baja Designs light blinding them and stayed there for a little bit then made a pass and continued down the highway at speed until I caught up to another car. Prob hit a 100mph or close that night, I was pretty cool feeling and the bike felt great, no wandering, no vibration, just jamming down the freeway. No way the 500 would do that without a major re-gearing.

• wickedsprint

Posted February 04, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Yeah my stock 500 was geared for a topend of around 85 ish, the BRP about a 100 or so, I still maintain the 650R feels quicker to 60 offroad than my KX500 did, the KX had shorter gearing and a narrow powerband all of which give the illusion of quick acceleration but the ferocity at which the 650R covers ground is amazing. I think it would be a great race.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.