Paddle talk

5 replies to this topic
  • SoCal SM

Posted February 04, 2006 - 03:14 PM

So if you were looking at buying a '03 YZ450f, and it came with 2 spare paddles that were both pretty worn out, what would you think in regards to the motor?

Background is... it got a new top end by a good shop middle of last season and I don't know if the paddles were used before, after, or in the middle of this service.

My basic worry is... how many trips do you get on a paddle before the cups have worn out? I ride mostly hard-pack Ocotillo Wells and track style, but knowing that soft sand works a motor much more than hard-pack desert, how much could this motor be worn given that I've got 2 worn out paddles?

j

• Whoya

Posted February 04, 2006 - 07:15 PM

That bikes been used and abused!! (Thats what I would think)!!

• SoCal SM

Posted February 04, 2006 - 08:39 PM

Ya, that's my worry.

Anybody actualy worn a paddle out and know how many trips you might get out of it? One season, two???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racingktm1968

Posted February 04, 2006 - 08:47 PM

On the other hand may be they rode the paddle on the pavement from dune to truck alot. I would check the compression on the motor if your worried.

• sprint4425

Posted February 04, 2006 - 10:45 PM

i have an '03 yz450 and ride sand dunes a lot up in Silver Lake, Michigan. I can honestly say that in my opinion if a paddle is worn down from that bike then dont buy it. THere should be really no reason for a paddle tire to get worn out from riding it in sand, its the riding in hard packed dirt (parking lots to sand dunes entry, stuff like that) that wear down a paddle. I have had my paddle for two years and it could probably last me another 5 if i wanted it to.

• Whoya

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:27 AM

When buying used I like to look at many other things to get a feel for how this guy takes care of his equipment. Is the garage clean and organized? how about the vehicle he drives? Clean and looks like he takes care of it? The yard and house?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.