Buying a '02 XR650L.......

8 replies to this topic
  • SASK_TK

Posted February 03, 2006 - 08:00 AM

I'm purchasing the bike from a dealership without seeing it . Having it shipped is way cheaper for me. The bike has 3600km and is all stock. The salesmen says it's in mint shape and barely been off-raod. Any suggestions on specific questions to ask or info i need to get before i buy it?

I've done a lot of research on thumpers before deciding on this one, so i know the XR will work for me. I guess i just want to cover my ass before buying the thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

THANX

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 03, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Warranty!

Dave

• roadcam

Posted February 03, 2006 - 02:09 PM

Remember: it's a salesman's job to SELL .... take that into account with any sales pitch ... ( nahh, Im not suggesting a salesman a long distance from you might actually LIE ) ... :thumbsup:

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 03, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Have them send you as many photos as your server will allow. A warranty would be helpful, but doubtful.

Have them check the tire & rim condition and tell them to give you a % of tread life remaining. Have them adjust and lube the chain. Tell them to change the spark plug and oil since it's probably due for a 4K service anyhow. Work it.

I'd also have them provide you with checklist that all maintenance has been performed and all other systems have been checked and are working properly. It's what any reputable dealer should be willing to do.

Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • onaXR

Posted February 03, 2006 - 03:39 PM

See if any members here live close to the dealer and ask them to go check it out. :thumbsup:

• XRsteve

Posted February 03, 2006 - 07:18 PM

See if any members here live close to the dealer and ask them to go check it out. :thumbsup:

I second that. And push for a warranty or satisfaction guarantee.

• goblin127

Posted February 03, 2006 - 08:52 PM

I'd like to here how this turns out. Let us know.

• martinfan30

Posted February 03, 2006 - 09:06 PM

like its been said, find any service records if any! is the bike stock, untouched by any hack? :thumbsup:

• XRnToon

Posted February 04, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Hi SASK, I live in Saskatoon. Which dealer are you buying from? Don't forget that you will have to pay some tax on the used bike. I got a 2000 650l from Lethbridge, AB last spring and put 4000k on it in one summer. Try to get as much history on the bike as possible, or better yet, go look at it for yourself. These bikes are so reliable that they will last through almost anything. PM me if you like.
Jeff

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.