O.K. guys whats next?

10 replies to this topic
  • Pilate74

Posted February 02, 2006 - 08:10 PM

I am posting a progress report. I have been out of the sport for 12 years. I have been practicing for 1 1/2 months. Lost 30 pounds and have been getting ready to start racing again. I am switching to desert from MX. At 29 I can not hang with you younger guys in MX. I used to be a semi pro swimmer and a good football/baseball player. What body fat % do I need to desert race? I am 6' tall and my doctor told me 245 is my healthy body weight. I remember my swimming weight as being close to 230. I am 260 right now. Somebody told me that there is an ideal desert motorcycle racing body fat percentage and that is my goal. My question is how far should I go? It only takes me a month to lose 30. I know I have to get rid of the beer belly before my metabolism slows down. Please make all the fat jokes you want, it just motivates me more! I can still press 350,
so screw you 120 pound guys who think I am lazy on my weights.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 02, 2006 - 08:27 PM

i dunno man, im 16, 6' and about 190. it really all depends on how much muscle u have.....generally about 6-22% body fat is considered healthy. But if you can haul 35% around the desert, go fo it. I would probably shoot for around 25-28% if i were you.

• Pilate74

Posted February 02, 2006 - 08:49 PM

i dunno man, im 16, 6' and about 190. it really all depends on how much muscle u have.....generally about 6-22% body fat is considered healthy. But if you can haul 35% around the desert, go fo it. I would probably shoot for around 25-28% if i were you.

I m at 30% right now. I have never been able to buy clothes that fit my shoulders at regular stores. The fat guys stores are too big in the belly and two long. My arms do not fit good as well. I have had to buy custom dress shirts since I was your age. Also all the regular fit jeans fit sooo tight on my lower legs. I have to have size 42 taken down to fit my 38 waist, so I can have comfortable jeans. I will just lose weight until I get to the wall, And then ride till I drop. Thanks

• targetdrone

Posted February 02, 2006 - 10:40 PM

As my legs were aching, my arms burning and the rest of my body just plain tired during my last race, I had an epiphony...I gotta lose some weight and get in better condition. I am 6 ft and weigh 230 (already down 5). I've got a ways to go but I am now motivated. You have me feeling like a bantamweight in comparison.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 04, 2006 - 12:30 PM

If you need a hand, I'm working on getting my trainers cert. I'm 6'2", 255-260 lbs, and about 12% bf; I can lift my pig over my head.

Size isn't a big deal as long as you can still move, and know how to handle yourself. If you feel you can still ride well, then don't worry about it. Granted, losing a few lbs wouldn't hurt for endurance, but the key is, is do you feel comfortable?

Not to put you down, but I think to be considered 'overweight' is over 25% bf. But, it wouldn't be hard to shed those lbs and gain some muscle, just depends on how hard your willing to work at it.

Like I said, if you need a hand, let me know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted February 04, 2006 - 01:10 PM

I'm 6'2", 225# ... I've always been told by all the so-called "ideal weight charts"my 'ideal' weight is 180, or so .. ?? ... been 272# the last few years, and came down to 225#, seem to be 'stuck' here, my goal is 200#, so this damned blood pressure will go down without the $$$$$ pills ... ahhh, crap, ... lose weight, exercise, get lots of fresh air .. die anyway :thumbsup:

• Pilate74

Posted February 04, 2006 - 05:19 PM

If you need a hand, I'm working on getting my trainers cert. I'm 6'2", 255-260 lbs, and about 12% bf; I can lift my pig over my head.

Size isn't a big deal as long as you can still move, and know how to handle yourself. If you feel you can still ride well, then don't worry about it. Granted, losing a few lbs wouldn't hurt for endurance, but the key is, is do you feel comfortable?

Not to put you down, but I think to be considered 'overweight' is over 25% bf. But, it wouldn't be hard to shed those lbs and gain some muscle, just depends on how hard your willing to work at it.

Like I said, if you need a hand, let me know.

I have always been very muscular, and really the only fat on me is my beer gut. My arms and legs are still pretty good looking. I can stab a automatic transmission (turbo 350) without any jacks. I just need some endurance. A one mile run kills me. I lost 30lbs. in 45 days. I now feel that was to fast.
I am only going to do 10-15 this month. Thanks I might get some more tips from you guys.

• msharp

Posted February 05, 2006 - 10:24 AM

I'm trying to do the same thing. I am 6'3" and weigh 275. I've realized that the best performance mod I can do for my bike is to lose about 50 pounds. How the hell did you lose 30 pounds in one month? Good luck and keep us posted. Matt

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:35 PM

height weight charts mean nothing, us big muscular guys may have 15-20% b.f. but we weigh 225-250 simpley because weve got a lot of muscle.

• don87xr600

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:59 PM

height weight charts mean nothing, us big muscular guys may have 15-20% b.f. but we weigh 225-250 simpley because weve got a lot of muscle.

you kill me

• Maladjusted_XR

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:29 PM

Your B/F % is as unimportant as your endurance is important, though they (usually) are results of the other.
I've trained with some of the most fit operators in the business and though not all have 6-pack abs, we all have endurance (aerobic / anaerobic) or the ability to endure (not the same).
Some of us are/were 5'8"/160 w/ 5% BF and others 6'4"+/230+ with 20%+ BF. It's simply a matter of conditioning your body (physically and mentally) to the stresses your have to endure.

I've seen many bodybuilder types that didn't have what it takes.

Use a full body fitness program with running / swimming and cycling plus lots of practice in the desert and you will be ready...To hell with body weight and BF% (your body (and mind) will tell you what you need to do...)

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.