looking at a XR650R 'tarded tomorrow

8 replies to this topic
  • Maximus86

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:51 PM

hey guys-I'm going to look at a 2000 model streetlegal XR650R-it has ben converted to supermoto-it has 17's/motomaster caliper/hotcam/full titanium fmf exhaust-ect

how much do you think its worth? and is there anything to look otu for. The guy said he selling ti because he got a CRF450 supermoto that hes going to race. the 650r was never raced but he did a trackday or 2 on it

what are the differences between the 2000 model and the newer 04+ models? i thought they changed a few things

oh yeah-how long does the top ends on these last-got to be better then a 450 motocross bike

any info and suggestions are appreciated-thanks

• babbs

Posted February 03, 2006 - 12:59 PM

There is one on ebay right now for 4500 that has no bids on it. See what that one goes for and offer less.

• jtc89

Posted February 03, 2006 - 02:24 PM

There are many changes between 2000 and the new ones. Look at the countershaft seal. Does it leak? Knock him down on price and buy it. The seal is easily changed.

The motors are designed to last for the Baja 1000. The whole bike is very robust. I built a 2001 and it was a blast, should'nt have sold it. Just look at like a used dirt bike, what is good, bad. Has it been taken care of?

The biggest price add is that it is street legal. (make sure that it is), Its getting harder to get them legal.

Also ride it. The motor is noisy, but not too, does it sound right? Price, does it set you no fire, deep down you know what it is worth to you.

• Maximus86

Posted February 03, 2006 - 03:56 PM

There are many changes between 2000 and the new ones. Look at the countershaft seal. Does it leak? Knock him down on price and buy it. The seal is easily changed.

The motors are designed to last for the Baja 1000. The whole bike is very robust. I built a 2001 and it was a blast, should'nt have sold it. Just look at like a used dirt bike, what is good, bad. Has it been taken care of?

The biggest price add is that it is street legal. (make sure that it is), Its getting harder to get them legal.

Also ride it. The motor is noisy, but not too, does it sound right? Price, does it set you no fire, deep down you know what it is worth to you.

thanks for answer-but you said "There are many changes between 2000 and the new ones." besides the countershaft seal what other changes have been made?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wickedsprint

Posted February 03, 2006 - 04:00 PM

I forget the exact changes, I think a clutch bushing of some sort, the only changes between the older and new ones are easily updated, condition is way more important, it is not like other bikes that got updated suspensin and brakes..allt he changes are minor engine ones..and very minor.

• Maddox101

Posted February 03, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I have the 2000 and there is nothing different about the bike. It just has 2 updates that need to be done. The countershaft seal and the clutch bushing. Most of the time these have already been done because of there age. Other than that and the graphics...there all the same! You'll love it!

• motopsycho650

Posted February 04, 2006 - 09:50 AM

There are 2 big changes, the countershaft seal, ('02 & older leak). And the clutch bushing, (major fix if it goes bad). The clutch bushing is cheap, but it's a lot of work to get to. Other than those 2 parts, they are the same bike with different graphics.

• Maximus86

Posted February 04, 2006 - 11:42 AM

whats the clutch bushing do and what happens when it "goes"

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 04, 2006 - 06:00 PM

whats the clutch bushing do and what happens when it "goes"

It is a bushing that the clutch basket rides on. The 2000 models did not lubricate if the bike was sitting at an idle for too long. They actually are a rather easy fix if you have ever taken a clutch basket out of a bike before. The new bearing has either 2 lubrication holes instead of one or the hole is bigger (I forgot which it is) I had 5000 miles of dirt riding on my 2000 model when I traded it in and never changed out the clutch bearing. The bike was still in great shape when I traded it in on a new model. What can I say, I like the smell of a new bike. These bikes are pretty bullet proof and have very few weaknesses. Unfortunately the clutch is a weakness if you are abusive. Most bearing went out on dual sported models who would spend a little too much time sitting still at a stop light while the motor was idling. The clutch could use another steel disk installed to make it work better and last longer. You can read about the bikes weakness and the easy fixes on:
http://www.xr650r.us/

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.